Author Topic: Binky's being a BULLY-advice?  (Read 2927 times)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Binky's being a BULLY-advice?
« on: July 01, 2006, 06:12:08 am »
I think Binky is going through her teenage stage- she's just turned a year and she is being soooo bad.  We have had to go back to gating her in the kitchen when we leave the house-or even go into another room- because the minute I turn my back, she starts to attack and destroy any pillow she can get.  She actually took the seat cusion off our leather couch and chewed a hole right through!
But, the real problem is her bullying the other animals, especially poor McDougal.  Binky is the youngest and McDougal is our oldest, a male, 6 y/o.  He is, and always has been, the low dog on the totem pole, but laelty, Binky's really been picking on him.  I know there's a natural pecking order, but I think I need to interfere.  It's gotten to the point where McDougal is afraid to go into the yard to go to the bathroom b/c Binky charges him, knocks him over, etc.  She also ran over Chicklet, who weighs under 4 lbs, last night and it was definitely on purpose.
Anyone have any ideas?  I've been telling her no, holding her collar so the others can go in the yard, but I can't watch every second.  Also, aren't LGDs supposed to be gentle with smaller animals?  I'm worried she's really going to hurt someone-she's started on the cats too.  Plus, I am getting Nigerian Dwarf goats at the end of the month and now I am afraid that Binky may harm or at least terrify them, rather than protect!
Sorry for the long ramble, but I am getting really worried! 
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
Re: Binky's being a BULLY-advice?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 09:19:54 am »
I've started this note 4 times now..lol  Lets start again.  This is a lengthy reply but I think you need it.  First off, you have mulitple problems here.  Most of which can be corrected.

Your Pyr is at her "worst" years.  Just like human juveniles they are trying to establish their place in the world.  Most of it they will outgrow, normally by two years of age.  However, toward the day that they do outgrow it, they need the training it will take to make them a confident animal.  I raise my Pyrs as guardians but I interact with them daily, train, and socialize.

That being said, I've raised Pyrs for 20 years.  If there is one thing I have learned it is that every Pyr is different.  Breed profiles can be helpful but they dont allow for the differences in dogs and they can be major. 

Binky is trying to establish herself as an alpha, and by the way that's a good thing if she is going to be guarding goats.  You can help her be a gentle alpha by correcting bad behavior strongly and consistantly.  But you are not going to change her basic pyrsonality so you need to guide her with training. With new goats coming, your timing is not the best.  So you need to prepare Binky for the new goats right away.  You need a pen to put her in, get her out of the house and into the pasture where she belongs.  Pen her next to where your goats are going to be so that they have a common fence line.  That way they can interact without her hurting them and they will have a chance to get use to each other's smells etc. With McDougal being low man on the totem pole she is always going to dominate him.  All you can do there is to monitor their interaction and isolate them from each other if it gets too bad.  But you need to get Binky into that pen right now.  Feed her there, interact with her there, give her treats there.  When your goats arrive, only take her into the pen with the goats on leash.  Get a leash, loop it through your belt loop or get a long one and loop it around your waist so your hands will be free.  Let her get to know the goats under your supervision and correct "play behavior" like chasing or mouthing the goats with a very firm no and a short jerk on her lead.  Give her treats when her behavior around the goats is what you want it to be, with a very inthusiastic "Good Girl!".

As to the torn pillows.  Binky is a bored dog.  She is a guardian at heart and she will most likely never be happy in the house all the time.  You will see this more as she grows older most likely. 

As far as being gentle with smaller animals, they usually are.  But like I said, they are all different.  Be very firm with her when she pulls this stunt with the little one, and immediatley isolate her from not only the little one, but from you (whom by the way she is trying to guard). Learn and understand your dogs basic instincts.  Most of this behavior will change as she grows older, keep that in mind.

I can recommend several things that will help. 
Learn basic instincts and character of your dog. Read this.
http://www.pyrenean-journal.com/patous.htm  It's the story of a kennel dog that went to a guardian home at 6 years of age and it's a hoot.

Join us at Pyr Talk.  It's a list for folks that use their Pyrs as guardians and they are very helpful with answering questions and givng guidance.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PyrTalk/

You also need to read this.  It's how to break up a dog fight safely.  You need to know this in case it comes to that.  Bear in mind that Pyrs are "anti-predator" dogs. They are dog aggressive by nature.  Some much more than others.  They are usually very gentle with the little ones but not always.  And remember this.  Pyrs have been known to fight to the death.  Are your dogs spayed/neutered?  I firmly believe that she will outgrow the aggression toward the little one.  But dont expect it to happen between her and McDougal unless he fully submits to her as she ages and perhaps not then.

http://sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/dogfight.htm

Also here is a good article on Understanding just what your guardians job is.
http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/workwhy.htm

After you read all of this, get back with me if you like and I'll be glad to help you all I can.

Jackie Wood
Tanimara Great Pyrenees
tanimara@townsqr.com

Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 02:48:51 pm »
"She is a guardian at heart and she will most likely never be happy in the house all the time.  You will see this more as she grows older most likely." 

I am seeing this more and more with Dixie.  My two stay in their room most of the time but they hate it when the dog door is closed and they can not get into their side yard.

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 03:09:32 pm »
Jackie, thank you so much for your detailed and thoughtful reply.  I had read the article about Pyr fighting, etc, before we got Binky.
I was not planning for her to become the full time LGD for the goats.  I just want to make sure she knows how to behave around them-thank you for the introduction tips.  However, if it becomes apparant that she prefers to be out with the goats, I guess I will have to let her.
I just don't see how Binky could be bored though!  I am with her most of the time, she goes for long walks with me and the other dogs daily, plays in the yard, has every chew toy known to dogs, etc!  Maybe things will change with the goats-someone else for her to protect/think about. 
Thanks again!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat