Author Topic: On the Road to the Omaha Derby  (Read 4088 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
On the Road to the Omaha Derby
« on: June 29, 2006, 11:21:37 pm »
I am settling down for the night in Shreveport, LA - my first leg home to get Derby, my new dog.

For those of you who have been around for a month (and to enlighten those of you who haven't), Derby is my friend Tracy's dog she recently adopted. Tracy was murdered last month and we offered to adopt Derby into our family. Derby looks to me like a pit bull/lab mix, and he is ALL sweetness.

I'm so excited. My friend Charles and I started out about 5pm this evening and made it about 300 miles from Houma to Shreveport. We should get to Omaha late Friday or early Saturday. I promise lots of pictures and tales (or is that tails) of our exciting road trip adventure.

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

MommyOfSchnauzers

Re: On the Road to the Omaha Derby
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 11:26:24 pm »
I'm so glad you are getting Derby.  What a great bond the two of you share.  Loving Tracy.  I can't wait to see pics of your new family member.

doggylover

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 11:30:47 pm »
I'm so glad I clicked on this thread.  When I first saw the subject, I thought "I don't know/care about derby's so I don't wanna read that thread".  I thought someone was going to like a sporting event of some kind, like with cars. 
I'm a doof...the point is NOT that I'm a doof, the point is that this is SUPER cool, and I'm so glad I get to root you on!  I can't WAIT to see Derby.  What a loving thing for you to do for your friend.  This story is heartwarming!
 :D

Kiahpyr

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 07:10:18 am »
Can't wait to see you!!! WOOHOOO!!!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 09:12:14 pm »
We are turning in for the night in Cassville, MO. We spent all day driving through Arkansas on Hwy 71. Anyone here from Arkansas? Can I tell you all something?

I LOVE ARKANSAS!! It is so beautiful and the little towns along the highway are so quaint! Here are a few pictures from our day today:

The Mountains

Cute house in Mena, Ark

Giant Bunny Rabbit in Gateway, Ark (I don't know why it's there, but we just had to take the picture)

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 09:20:59 pm »
When I first saw the subject, I thought "I don't know/care about derby's so I don't wanna read that thread".  I thought someone was going to like a sporting event of some kind, like with cars

Me too...  :-[

Now I can't WAIT to read the next installment!!! YIPPPPEEEE!

Derby's comin' home!!!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 10:23:34 pm »
We made it to Omaha today and promptly went to my Grandma's house to stuff ourselves on homemade potato salad, hot dogs, pasta salad, jello salad, deviled eggs, 7-layer bars, angel food cake and HOMEMADE ICE CREAM!!

Almost all of my aunts and cousins were there, too, many who I haven't seen for about 10 years. My cousins kids are all grown up now. It's crazy!! Where does the time go?

Tomorrow we are going to the Old Market - kind of like a Midwestern French Quarter without the stale piss smell and the nudie bars and then I'm going to visit Tracy's mom and Derby! (I promise lots of pictures tomorrow).

My sister Kerry is here with her Italian Greyhound, Lola. Kerry bought supplies to make a surprise for Tracy's mom and dad. She is going to cast Derby's paws in plaster to make a keepsake for them. Isn't that the most thoughtful thing you've ever heard? It was totally her idea and I am moved she would think of it. Her parents will love it!

Stay tuned...

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 07:14:58 am »
It sounds like you are having a wonderful time!  I can't wait to see the pictures!!

The idea of casting Derby's paws are great!  Maybe get a tiny box and clip some of Derby's fur as well!  You guys are so thoughtful!!!

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 11:49:55 pm »
So Derby is coming home...To everything there is a season & a time for every purpose under Heaven :'( :)...Tracy smiles today...God bless you Jeanne. :-*

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Derby is in the HOUSE!!
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 12:00:27 am »
First of all, let me say that Derby is AWESOME!! We had so much fun with him today. Here's a link to a hilarious video of how much fun he had. http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e166/jjfritsche/?action=view&current=101_0555.flv
The first thing he did when he got to my dad's house was jump in the waterfall pond. He loved it! He had so much fun playing with Zoe, Belle and Lola. They were running around so fast I couldn't get any pictures of them, but here's the one's I do have.

Isn't he precious?? We're having a big debate on what he's mixed with. I say Pit Bull/Lab, but he has double dew claws on both back feet so he could have some arctic breed in him. No one else seems to see the pit bull. What do you all think?

His Royal Cuteness:

Sharing ice after a long walk:

Playing in the pond:

Derby, Mary and Me

Me and My Derby

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2006, 12:19:57 am »
I thought double rear dews were almost excluisive to the Great Pyrenees...Wha t artic breeds have them?...I most certainly see Lab in Derby!!...But with what?...I am not sure. :) I do know heis truely awesome looking!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Derby (the dog) updates...
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2006, 01:49:54 pm »
I remember doing a Google search on dbl dew claws last month and found mostly large, guardian dogs that they were either prone to show up in or required (like the Pyrs). The vet said the arctic breeds have them to help them grip in the snow and ice. Interesting, eh?

He's such a lover!

Here's an interesting story:  a local TV news reporter contacted Mary a couple of weeks ago and asked if she wouldn't mind having Derby "read" by a prominent animal psychic. They had suspected that Derby saw what happened to Tracy because he literally had night terrors for the 1st couple nights after Mary brought him to her house and because when they took him back to Tracy's house he did not want to go in.

So, she brought him to Missouri City to see this pet psychic and the TV taped it. His behavior when she started "communicating" with Derby and trying to ask him what he saw was so disturbing. He kept trying to hide behind Mary and when he couldn't do that he flipped around on the couch and was burrowing behind the pillows. Normally, Derby is a big couch potato when he is in the house - just wants to lie and cuddle. He was obviously distressed.

The pet psychic said that he told her he saw what happened (and I won't go into details because the official cause of death hasn't been released by the coroner yet) and he didn't want to think about it and see it again. He got so upset, the psychic said they needed to take him out of the room to help calm him down. Then, she proceded to "talk" to Tracy, and, again, I'm not going to tell you yet what she said until we hear more from the police.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2006, 02:04:31 pm »
Wow!!  It will be fascinating to find out what Derby saw!!!  I've heard really interesting things about/from pet psychics.  I just don't know what to believe!!!

Offline Aner

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2006, 02:12:59 pm »
Thats fascinating!  I'm not sure if I believe in pet psychics either, but if there are too many coincidences, it would push me to believe it.  I'm so curious what he saw,