Author Topic: Took my boys to the fireworks!  (Read 3803 times)

Gypsy Jazmine

Took my boys to the fireworks!
« on: July 03, 2006, 10:01:37 pm »
We just got home from the fireworks my Pyrs did amazingly well!...We got real close to the action too so there were lots of people & kids running around...We were there for about an hour before the display started & were out walking around & socializing... The only time Pippin even really barked was because Sam tried to go after a car that drove too close so then Pippin reacted too but both dogs were reigned in easily...When the display started I took the dogs over by the Durango & opened the back end...They were both in the truck as soon as the show started but while Sam alternated between looking at the display wild eyed & hiding his face, Pippin watched intently out the window & was calm but watched everything going on...He was very aware of coarse of the loud booms & fireworks in the sky but he was very steady & even in his mood...I was amazed!... Both my boys did awesome ;D but I am chalking another major brag up for my Tanimara Pyr!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Took my boys to the fireworks!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 06:04:46 am »
That is so great. I plan to make sure that Sugar Bear is ready for a long nap around firework time tonight. Fireworks really upset him last year.  Dixie want to go kill that stuff in the sky.

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 07:05:54 am »
Congrats Gypsy Jazmine!

We took our two to see their first fireworks last night also.  I want them to not be scared of them, we had a lab who would get so scared of them, and we always had little kids w/ bottle rockets in the neighborhood it was sad, she was scared to death.

Bava just layed around, and Sophie actively watched them and barked back when they blew up.  I think she wants to kill them like Dixie.

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

cricket36580

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 08:12:24 am »
I'm so impressed!  Mine would have keeled over right there if I had made them go to the fireworks.  Ds and dh shot some off last night in the yard and I had Bella and Baloo under the computer desk tryingto get into my lap. 

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 08:38:30 am »
Congrats Gypsy Jazmine!

We took our two to see their first fireworks last night also.  I want them to not be scared of them, we had a lab who would get so scared of them, and we always had little kids w/ bottle rockets in the neighborhood it was sad, she was scared to death.

Bava just layed around, and Sophie actively watched them and barked back when they blew up.  I think she wants to kill them like Dixie.

I was surprised at Pippin...I thought I'd get a more "Dixie like" ;D reaction out of him...He is like her in so many ways! :D

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 09:57:15 am »
My guys are getting some "pet calm" tonight. ;) Dixie has a great time barking at them, but Sugar Bear hates it.

Offline zanie

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 10:36:51 am »
We didn't actually go to fireworks last night but our neighborhood sounded like a war zone.  Dell was outside alone and hid under our utility trailer so we brought him in, crated him, and gave him a good ole chew bone.  He was fine.

A little later he had to go potty so I went out into the yard and sat in a lawn chair while he did his business.  He didn't flinch or even hesitate to go out while all of the noise was happening.  He didn't want to go back into the house either.  I was amazed.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner

Seattle, WA

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 02:12:59 pm »
That's awesome that they didn't mind the fireworks!

We took Zoey to a festival once and as soon as she heard fireworks, she freaked out so bad we ended up having to speed walk the 15 minute walk home carrying her (then 50lb). It was a diasaster  :o
RIP former BPO

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 12:00:41 am »
Yeah...evident ly fireworks are tolerable but patio table umbrellas are The DEVIL!!! :-\ We went to a family gathering today & both dogs barked everytime the wind blew the umbrellas over the patio tables...There sometimes is no rhyme to their reason but I firmly believe there is a method their madness! :D :D ...Once I get over it I will tell you all how my cousin's wife made a complet a** of herself because she thought my dogs would eat her 17 month old...Evidentl y Rosie has given my boys a bad name in my family...You figure that one out. >:( >:(

Kiahpyr

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 08:42:45 am »
Such good boys!!! Kiah barked and barked and barked some more. LOL!!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 09:47:38 am »
I give my two a little of the solid gold "Pet Calm".  It worked great on Sugar Bear, she was just as calm as could be. Dixie barked at the sky for an hour, then had a long nap.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 08:49:19 pm »
I give my two a little of the solid gold "Pet Calm". 

Do you know if that work's better than Bachs rescue remedy?
RIP former BPO

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 09:00:27 pm »
I have not use the rescue remedy, so I am not sure. The Pet Calm worked great on Sugar Bear. Dixie still wanted to jump up in the sky and eat the fireworks.  Don't they know that is her sky ;)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 10:17:26 pm »
I have not use the rescue remedy, so I am not sure. The Pet Calm worked great on Sugar Bear. Dixie still wanted to jump up in the sky and eat the fireworks.  Don't they know that is her sky ;)
OMG I just love that dog!!!...That is SO Pippin!...Everything is his!! :D

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 06:17:59 am »
Oh yes it is her world and she just lets others live in it.  Just ask her. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 06:18:29 am by DixieSugarBear »