Author Topic: Cure for Jumping...  (Read 7602 times)

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
Cure for Jumping...
« on: June 07, 2005, 06:19:33 pm »
I watched a video yesterday by Brian Kilcommons.  Betti loves to jump when she's excited and she doesn't care if we fold our arms and look up at the ceiling, ignoring her...as many trainers say to do in order to curb jumping up.

So, after the video we have a new strategy.  It's the SHAKER CAN.  Simply take an empty aluminum pop can, put 15 pennies inside and tape the opening shut.  Every time the pup/dog jumps up on you, simply shake the can and say with a firm voice, "Off!".  The dog is supposed to immediately withdraw.  You must then get his/her attention immediately because the pup must be PRAISED and asked to sit nicely.  This way the pup is not taught to fear.

So far it's working.

They say to "boobie trap" items your dog likes to steal.  This can be done by attaching line from the item to several shaker cans.  When your dog attempts to make off with the item, the shaker cans will make a lot of noise.  This is when you say, "Leave it!" and then "good dog!"

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Cure for Jumping...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 06:25:04 pm »
I have heard of the shaker cans but they sound to noisy for my taste.  What happened to the common sense approach -  Take his legs off your chest, put them on the ground and use the highly complex command  NO
Peggy

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 06:29:08 pm »
I have heard of the shaker cans but they sound to noisy for my taste.  What happened to the common sense approach -  Take his legs off your chest, put them on the ground and use the highly complex command  NO

Works with some dogs...not with hyper-poopers like Betti.  She now sneaks up from behind her victims and pushes them forward with her front paws.... ;D
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 06:32:24 pm »
Oh, I did not mean to sound like a smarty pants.   Betti likes to be one though.  hee hee
Peggy

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 06:36:12 pm »
Oh, I did not mean to sound like a smarty pants.   Betti likes to be one though.  hee hee

I didn't take it that way.  I used to get into trouble all the time when I worked in the corporate world, because people were offended by my emails.  I applied what I was taught...to eliminate all unnecessary words and be direct and to the point.  For some reason people thought I was mad or something.  It is hard through email and chat, etc., because we cannot see the face or hear the voice to tell exactly which message is intended.
I think people think I'm a smarty pants...I love facts and that is how I've always been.  I am so interested in new information from so many different areas...Someti mes I get the feeling I offend people or scare them off somehow, but really I want to know what and how they think.

Ideas make the world go around!

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 06:38:51 pm »
ditto and if we all felt the same or looked the same what a boring place it would be.   :D
Peggy

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 06:44:14 pm »
Indeed!   ;D

Offline fuzzywzhe

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 11:49:28 pm »
I know what always works.

When the jump, just grab their paws and hold them up.  Keep holding them up by their paws and they'll soon regret jumping up when they realize you aren't going to let go.  Next, the dog will start gnawing at your hands and trying to pull away - don't let go.  When you think they've learned this little lesson, you can put them down.

When it's not fun, they won't do it.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 07:11:05 am »
I know what always works.

When the jump, just grab their paws and hold them up.  Keep holding them up by their paws and they'll soon regret jumping up when they realize you aren't going to let go.  Next, the dog will start gnawing at your hands and trying to pull away - don't let go.  When you think they've learned this little lesson, you can put them down.

When it's not fun, they won't do it.

Very true, too!  :)

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 07:25:15 am »
I use the holding the paws. Works great. Judge has never really jumped up, thank goodness, but he does like to paw at you to get your attention. He did it twice to me and I held onto his paw he hasnt done it since.
Im sure the can would work great too. I just have way too much noise around me already.
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 07:36:43 am »
The can is the best idea for us, because Betti sneaks up from behind and jumps on our backs... :D

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 08:01:26 am »
I've heard the shaker can works to make them stop whining as pups in the middle of the night too.

So can I booby trap my kitchen towell...shoes ...lighters... underwear...so cks...bath rags...TP rolls...etc etc etc.?

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 08:02:48 am »
I've heard the shaker can works to make them stop whining as pups in the middle of the night too.

So can I booby trap my kitchen towell...shoes ...lighters... underwear...so cks...bath rags...TP rolls...etc etc etc.?

LOL...Your house would sound like a NY scrapyard. LOL.  Perhaps the idea is to teach them the "Leave it!" command, hence, only booby trapping particular items so they understand "Leave it!"  ;)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2005, 08:04:57 am »
I think they understand leave it or drop it...but fail to comply to the request.  :) 

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2005, 06:17:03 pm »
I think they understand leave it or drop it...but fail to comply to the request.  :)  

Yessss....defi nitely...you have an excellent point! :)