Author Topic: Holy blown coat Batman!!...or one reason a Pyr isn't for everyone ( :  (Read 7278 times)

Gypsy Jazmine

This is Sam & Pippin with the hair I brushed out of them in just the past 3 weeks...Today we hit the motherload & it's still coming out...My arm got tired before they stopped "snowing"...lol!...The hair goes to good use though...Samso n's breeder spins it & knits hats, mittens & scarves with it...Forgot to mention that the hair has been in a bag so it's pretty much compressed...T hey look so good today...Even their "fur pants" are flowing & pretty! :D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 03:13:33 pm by Gypsy Jazmine »

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Your boys are beautiful but......EEEWW W!!!   LOL!!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
I know that feeling oh so well!! And people wonder why I say our dogs are not for everyone ;)
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
I know that feeling oh so well!! And people wonder why I say our dogs are not for everyone ;)

:D :P

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
OMG the pile of fur!!!!!!!!! But the boys look great!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Gypsy Jazmine

OMG the pile of fur!!!!!!!!! But the boys look great!
Thanks for the nice words about my boys!...I want to tell you all a story that will make you chuckle if you picture it...Well, Pippin HATES the be brushed & doing anything behind his hips is seriously pretty much impossible without help...Well, my DH drives semi & is gone 5 days a week...So I have my 7 & 9 yr. old children to help...We have a system though as we do with about everything we have to do ourselves...My son holds Pippin's leash to keep him roped in while I brush & my daughter gets on her hands & knees under Pippin & put her lower back & backside between his back legs so he can't sit down to get away...Now picture that...lol!...My daughter is gone this week so I had to get my nephew to help...He was a trooper! :D Pippin hates us right now. :D :D

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
LOL, oh we so need a photo of that.  My two do the same thing when you try to brush the back end. Sugar Bear will let you if he can lay down.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

k2campbell

WOW - that's A LOT of hair!!!  Better get to knitting!!! ;D

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
Oh Lord!  Looks like his father Warrior this year.  Im still getting matts and loose hair by the bushel out of him!  What a mess.  Gandalf gets groomed more frequently than the others because he goes to work with us each day.  The females blow coat with every delivery and their hair looks healthier but it also looks shorter.  So Warriors the big one to keep up with.  He's always had a h*ll of a coat anyway.  Glad to see he passed that on Chelle...lol
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
That is the funniest thing I've heard in a month...LOL  Missy is so little how can she do that?  God I'd love to be a mouse in the corner come Pippin groomin' time...LOL

Love Ya,
Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

k2campbell

Re: Holy blown coat Batman!!...or one reason a Pyr isn't for everyone ( :
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 09:52:38 pm »
That's frickin' HILARIOUS!!!  I hadn't read the story part earlier, you have those kids trained well!!! :D ;)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 11:36:33 pm »
That is the funniest thing I've heard in a month...LOL  Missy is so little how can she do that?  God I'd love to be a mouse in the corner come Pippin groomin' time...LOL

Love Ya,
Jackie
Since you last saw Missy in person she has grown about 3 & 1/2 inches...But only gained 4 lbs...God I wish I had her metabolism!!...lol!...& remember Pippin is like the little teapot...short & stout ;D...lol!...If Randy makes it home in time this week I will certainly get a shot of the kids & I grooming Pippin...It really does work well though...I can use her backside to brush Pippin's furpants over so I can get it nice & smooth! ;D ...Believe it or not...my itty bitty Missy is the one who came up with the idea in the first place!...That kid is determined, intelligent & unstoppable! ;D I wonder who she takes after? :D :D :D

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2006, 06:35:21 pm »
I want to tell you all a story that will make you chuckle if you picture it...Well, Pippin HATES the be brushed & doing anything behind his hips is seriously pretty much impossible without help...Well, my DH drives semi & is gone 5 days a week...So I have my 7 & 9 yr. old children to help...We have a system though as we do with about everything we have to do ourselves...My son holds Pippin's leash to keep him roped in while I brush & my daughter gets on her hands & knees under Pippin & put her lower back & backside between his back legs so he can't sit down to get away...Now picture that...lol!...My daughter is gone this week so I had to get my nephew to help...He was a trooper! :D Pippin hates us right now. :D :D

I have a "system" with Carter too.  Wait until he's too hot or tired to fight as hard!  LOL!  I brush him either during the heat of the day down in the barn where it is cool or wait until we've had our walk for the night.  Then you love on him for a while, brush for a few minutes until he gets annoyed, love on him for a while, brush for a few minutes...  Carter's piles of fur don't come all at once like that pile!  They come in bits and pieces!  Every time I think I'm making headway, he gets into more stuff!  I have him mostly clean at the moment except for his tail.  He got into a a HUGE pile of little tiny stick-tites and his tail is a MESS!!!!  I mentioned before that Carter tries to climb into my lap when I brush him.  One of the kids got a pic of him about half into my lap today.  At least Carter looks good - I've still got the major prednisone bloat look working ::)
Daphne

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2006, 06:37:26 pm »
It's Christmas in July!!! Look at all the "snow"! Wow, that's nuts. Sadie is shedding but I've never seen anything like that!
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2006, 10:32:04 pm »
Hi all,I have a suggestion for shedding that worked for me when I used to raise Collies,I have never tried it on a Pyre
but it seems to work well on heavy undercoats when it's time to blow coat.It's worth a try anyway.
This is what I used to do.
1st I'd line them up for a bath,once they have a bath I got my secret weapon.

Before hand I would go to a dollar stor or Kmart or where ever and buy the sheapest creame rinse or conditioner by the gallon.

After the bath part,I would soak them in the rinse or conditioner,and I do mean soak from nose to end of tail.Then the fun part starts, turn them loose,some pouted,and just stood there but most would run and roll and scrape on anything avaiable.

After about 20 to 30 minutes I usually had some very dirty dogs all haveing a good time.Line them up again and one by one,with the power nozzle on the hose wash all the gupey out of them.THIS PART IS VERY IMPORTANT  DON'T LEAVE ANY IN THEIR COAT,IT COULD CAUSE THEM TO ITCH.

Once that is done,the rollers got tied up in a clean area the rest got turned loose and once they started drying I had snow in my yard from undercoat flying in the air.

Then it was up on the table to get dired the rest of the way and a good brushing and combing and I had naked dogs under their top coat.

I rarely had to do this more than once during that time of year.

Of course the yard looked like it snowed in the summer,but very soon the birds in the area had all new bedding for their nests and everyone was happy.

If anyonw tries this let me know how it worked on your Pyre's I didn't know about this method when I had a Pyre,so I know what tired is when it come sto brushing and stripping..

this info would have been nice to know then.

Tricia