Author Topic: 49 Kuvasz in New York desperately need homes  (Read 26917 times)

Offline glaciercreekkuvasz

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Creek Kuvasz
49 Kuvasz in New York desperately need homes
« on: July 04, 2006, 08:12:44 pm »
Kuvasz and GSD breeder Paul Kornitzky (Karpati Kuvasz)died recently.  49 Kuvasz of various ages from under one year to older adults are needing new homes. 15 of the Kuvasz have been taken to the shelter due to age or health concerns. The shelter is feeding and watering the rest of the dogs at the farm.

The shelter prefers that Kuvasz Rescue
screen potential owners and place the dogs. The story of these dogs will be in the local news media and she hopes that it will generate some food and cash donations. They are a 501c/3.

Right now, we need to find permanent or foster
homes for some of these dogs. We need to arrange transport to these new homes. This will involve a Canine Underground Railroad style operation where dogs are passed from volunteer to volunteer across North America.

The shelter has only 35 runs and is overwhelmed by this effort. They will be burning through their funds pretty quickly.

Send donations to:

Broome County Humane Society and Relief Association
2 Jackson Street
Binghamton, NY 13903

Write Kuvasz Rescue in the memo field so that the money is applied to this effort. They are a 501c/3.

The dogs need to move to their new homes now. I have sent
the adoption application to
many of the wonderful people that inquired.
Please let me know if you were forgotten and/or are interested in adopting one of  these dogs.

There are some potential LGDs in the group. If
you would like to take a chance on one of these dogs as a guardian, this is an opportunity to discover a good dog.

Dan Wasson
danwasson@EARTHLINK.NET 

cricket36580

Re: 49 Kuvasz in New York desperately need homes
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 09:06:03 pm »
Last I heard about this the dogs were in pretty bad shape.  This man bred these dogs as LGD's but the confirmation is bad enough that they can only be used on small places.  There has been a tremendous response to this already but of course they will need more.  They're taking the dogs into rescue in stages and time is running out.  There's a couple of rescues in that area that are combining to get these dogs into foster/forever homes and they're doing a bang up job of it too.  I know about 4 people that have taken in dogs from here already.  This situation has been ongoing for a couple of months now.  Please, if you can, donate or if you're in the area see what you can do for these rescues...Even if it's paying for a gas card or a phone card or donating postage. 

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Creek Kuvasz
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 09:14:25 pm »
Who did you talk to?  I haven't heard some of what you have heard and we've been getting reports straight from the Kuvasz Rescue coordinator (ie, the poor conformation, etc).
The biggest problem right now is that there are dogs in breeding pairs and they need to be spayed/neutered.

cricket36580

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 10:24:41 pm »
A couple of people here "locally" in Kuvasz rescue that have been contacted to take some of the dogs.  I say locally, they're in the south anyway.  Also, On a couple of other boards I know people who have already taken in dogs.  Of course, this happened at the same time the bunch of Pyrs came into rescue in TX so I could be mixing the stories some.  However, I do know that a couple of rehab rescue people went and looked at the dogs and said they could not be used on a large spread or they should only be pets.  They could be getting/giving bad information but since this is consistant over a couple of different boards, I doubt it.  The fact remains that the rescues have a huge job to do and they need help. 

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 11:43:00 pm »
I am sorry to say that all I can do right now is send prayers & good wishes.  :'( I am tapped out financialy &, after my Rosie saga, I am still on too unsteady of ground emotionally to foster any big dog...If transport is needed in E. Iowa I may be able to help with that. :)

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 07:20:46 am »
Lets not forget about last week's severe flooding in that same area, and washing away hundreds of homes, etc.  I am sure this has made the situation that much worse for these dogs/rescues.

Weedsport, NY

SA_horses

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 08:55:15 am »
Wow.  Is the the first this has been on BPO?

Anyway, regarding the flooding, I understand that the local shelter itself got flooded, and they had taken 15 of the Kuvaszok in.  I haven't a clue what happened to them after that.  The other 34 were still on property the last I heard.

Sofia

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 09:12:12 am »
WOW!  i am so sorry to hear about this! all i can do is pray for them and hope my mom is understanding, so she might let us foster a couple.
Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Creek Kuvasz
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 09:19:02 am »
Yes, this is the first anyone posted. The people dealing with this don't really know about this board.  So I posted. I also posted under Kuvasz bulletin board, but it was taken off this morning.  I don't know why.

This has been a saga because the will had to be read, the family had to decide what to do with the dogs and no one in "Kuvasz Rescue" actually lives in NY or could take time off work to go there and grade dogs.

Debbie Blank
Glacier Creek Kuvasz
http://glaciercreekkuvasz.com

SA_horses

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 09:27:47 am »
Mrs. Blank,

Are they willing to send dogs to be fostered out of the area?  If so, is it possible to create a list of homes willing to take a dog that are out of area/out of state?

BTW, what is Kuvasz bulletin board?  Is that a KFA bulletin board or does KCA have a bulletin board?  If it is from one of those breed groups, I wonder why they don't want information about these dogs being posted.  Some of the dogs may be able to contribute something to the breed in America, being of Hungarian lines.

Sofia

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Creek Kuvasz
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 09:35:28 am »
I don't know any of the details, I'm in Alaska about as far from the situation as can be but I'm just trying to get the word out. Dan Wasson (email posted earlier) is the one who we're all getting our information on. 

The kuvasz bulletin board I mentioned was the one just like this on bigpawsonly.co m that is just for kuvasz. I guess I should have said the discussion thread or something.  I don't know why it was taken off. It's appropriate here and certainly there.

Debbie

SA_horses

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 09:52:43 am »
Oh, okay.  The reason the thread was removed was probably not that it was inappropriate there, just that it is MORE appropriate here.  If both threads stayed up, then there would be two separate conversations going on, which could get confusing.  That's probably the reason.

Is there someone of whom you know that we could contact to find out what can be done to help other than sending money, saying prayers, or adopting one of the dogs?  If a list of needs could be generated, I'm sure that many people on here would respond.  Phone cards, gas cards, fostering, etc...The people here are very generous.

Also, it is difficult to ask someone to fill out an application on a dog about which they know absolutely nothing except its breed.  There aren't any pictures, descriptions (health, sex, age, temperament) of the dogs that will be available, or anything on the KFA website.

Thank you very much for posting this.  My mother (Good Hope) thought about it, but decided that it would pointless unless there was more information.  BTW, I sent you a pm and wasn't sure if you had noticed yet.  :)

Sofia

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 01:04:59 pm »
I am in upstate NY but know nothing of the breed, so it would do no good for me to go down to Binghamton at this point.   That, and I have a houseful of mastiffs, so no room to foster anybody.  Hope they can find lots of willing help for this group of dogs.

Weedsport, NY

SA_horses

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 05:03:18 pm »
I did a search and came up with this: http://forums.petfinder.com/viewtopic.php?t=110303

Is there anybody up there at all that on this board who has experience with Great Pyrenese, Anatolian Shepherds, or any other LGD breed that can assisst in coordinating efforts?  It sounds like a complete and total mess!  No one is in the area.  Please, anyone?  If you are available or know someone who is available, please post to this board or pm me.

Sofia
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 05:04:15 pm by SA_horses »

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 05:41:44 pm »
I am in the area and have worked with NEPR (Northeast Pyr Rescue) and have experience with rescued Pyrs as LGDs.  Have one rescued Pyr and one rescued Anatolian working right now.  I may be able to help on a limited basis.  My health has not been great lately though and I am kind of up to my ears in dogs myself.  I will put through a note to NEPR and see if anything comes of it.  I've kind of been holding off offering to get involved until I had an opportunity to talk to my husband about it.  Was thinking of fostering but didn't think there was any way I could handle it with our current dogs.  I hadn't thought about being involved in coordinating.  I CAN do phone calls (if they aren't too long or I get to a point where I can't breathe from the asthma) and e-mails - I can type!  Can't handle a lot of driving either unfortunately but may be able to do some.  There's the problem...  I'm close but I'm very limited in what I can do.
Daphne