Author Topic: 49 Kuvasz in New York desperately need homes  (Read 26906 times)

SA_horses

Re: 49 Kuvasz in New York desperately need homes
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 05:44:51 pm »
Would you mind if I gave your name to Mr. Dan Wasson, who seems to be the main contact person, and to Mrs. Gail Dash, as a possible volunteer?  You can pm me if you like, or Good Hope (my mother) if you prefer.

ANY help will be appreciated.

Sofia

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2006, 05:56:09 pm »
Would you mind if I gave your name to Mr. Dan Wasson, who seems to be the main contact person, and to Mrs. Gail Dash, as a possible volunteer?  You can pm me if you like, or Good Hope (my mother) if you prefer.

ANY help will be appreciated.

Sofia

Feel free to pass along the info from that last post.  If they think they can somehow use my help, I'll be glad to try.  e-mail contact is best as it does get hard for me to talk for long.  longshadowfarm s   at   juno .com is the e-mail.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 06:21:20 pm by longshadowfarms »
Daphne

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2006, 06:21:31 pm »
I also saw this on another board about a month ago, I do believe that Darla Lofranco started a list and some of the dogs were spoken for by some of the members on the list, and some of the breeders.  It was /is a very sad situation.  I think there is some type of broadcast this weekend about it.  Shana
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

SA_horses

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2006, 06:28:01 pm »
Yes, Mrs. Lofranco did, but it never went anywhere so far as I know.  The dogs are still there, and I don't know that Mr. Dan Wasson was contacted by the interested parties.  Additionally, 6 of the dogs were to be taken upon condition of working LGD potential, I believe, and it is possible that none of the dogs have acceptable enough structure to work, from what we have heard.

If you know anything else about the broadcast, please let me know.

Longshadowfarm s, thank you very much!  I've made a note on the "may be able to help on a limited basis."

Sofia

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2006, 08:40:46 pm »
I put through the e-mail to NEPR and the lady I corresponded with was not aware of the situation.  She had some ideas for other contacts so we'll see where it goes...  I can e-mail!
Daphne

SA_horses

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2006, 12:05:34 pm »
This morning, I learned that three people have arranged to travel to the kennel this Saturday and begin moving the dogs.  So, I was (thankfully) incorrect, and progress is being made on this.  My intent in asking people to post here or pm me was to draw up a list of people in the area who might be able to help.  Since something has been arranged, it will be best to go straight to Dan Wasson, I think.  Mrs. Gail Dash would also be a good person to contact.  Her rescue page: http://hbalaw.com/KFA/rescue.htm

Longshadowfarm s, you will have at least two emails on this matter awaiting you, I think.

Dahlie, you probably should email Mr. Wasson (address given in the original post), if you have not already done so.  Also, please let Ivonne know of your availibility for transport; she is the KFA rescue coordinator.  Her email address should be listed on the page above.  (It is at the bottom.)

Sofia

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2006, 03:43:54 pm »
This is the latest update as far as I know, I am goingto donate to at least help with the cost.  It is unfortunate that the individuals who signed the list as agreeing to take one or more of the Kuvasz did not infact do so if indeed that is the case.  As i said we only know as much as we read or hear by calls etc...  This was on another list.  There apparently was some trouble with the paypal address so I am including the optional payment method at the end of this post.  Shana

As you may have read about a month ago, Paul K passed away. He had a breeding
kennel in Binghamton NY.

There were approx 50 Kuvasz at the kennel. As of now, a month later, there
remain 50 dogs to rescue. Four or five of the dogs should be on their way this
weekend. That leaves 46.

About 15 are in Humane Society facilities.

The rest of the dogs are still on the farm, in kennels. Alone.

They are being provided food and water once a day by HS, but other than that
there is no one at the farm.

I'm sure you'd agree, that's an unacceptable situation for any Kuvasz to be
in. HS cannot continue to support either the 15 or the remaining at the farm
for any length of time. In fact it's probably surprising they've been able to do
as much as they have. They were flooded out in the recent floods in the
northeast. Their expectation was that the dogs would be moved out well before now.

Lisa Boyle drove up there and checked on the dogs and spoke with HS several
times. Through Lisa's personal committment, and her relatioship with a really
special animal sanctuary that Lisa knows the owners of, there is a unique
opportunity to transport the dogs and provide more reasonable housing and care
for these dogs, pending a real rehoming effort. (Lisa, and the sanctuary, are
only about 15 minutes from where I am in New York State).

At this point it's reasonable to say any time lost to get the dogs into a
more secure/stable environment is not "ok". These dogs have been all but
abandoned. Kuvasz dont deserve that. No dog deserves that, but this is an opportunity
to change a very difficult situation.

Lisa will be going up there to bring down dogs on Saturday. How many,
however? The potential, incredibly, exists to rescue them all and rehome from here.
The limitation is funding.

It costs money to get the dogs released from HS, licensing fees etc for
intact dogs (which are higher in NY than neutered), etc.. Once the dogs are rescued
they need to be fed. The limitation to how many dogs can be rescued, this
weekend, and set up to be rehomed, is money.

We need to raise money for Lisa to bring the dogs down and start their
rescue. We need funds to provide for food, and medical care. Some donations have
already been made. Gail has donated, KFA through Gail, I've provided some funds.
The KCA is also discussing helping with the effort. As of right now, however,
there is not enough money to get them ALL from HS and feed them all. Nor after
that enough to support their rescue.

The structure is in place, the facilites available, and the experience on
call, to rescue them all. IF, as a community, we can provide the funds to
accomplish it. Vet assistance is available at deeply discounted rates. I'm nearby,
others with expertise/experience with Kuvasz are not far away and have offered
to help. All the pieces are there.

Please consider helping with a donation. No one should need to choose which
dogs are pulled out of that situation and which are not, because there are not
enough funds.

You can send donations (please, ASAP to start) to Lisa through pay pal, using
her email address crosscreekfarm s@hvc.rr.com or checks mailed, to Lisa
Boyle, 565 County Rte 12, New Hampton, NY, 10958. Given the urgency of the
timing, pay pal would work better.

Once they are rescued they need to be re homed. If you can take one or more
dogs, or know someone who can, please let someone know. Gail, myself, Cindy,
we'll make sure there is follow up. More information about that process and
possibly others to contact, will follow.

The key right now, today, is to rescue those dogs and provide for them so we
can re home them.

Please cross post as appropriate.

Steve Kovacs
wolfbyte@aol.com

If anyone is uncomfortable donating to an individual, there is a
paypal donation button specifically for this rescue at the bottom of
http://hbalaw.com/KFA/binghamton.htm

KFA will then forward your donation to Lisa. KFA is a recognized
501(c)3 charity and your donation is tax deductible. You will find KFA
as well as KCA listed when you search for "kuvasz" on the IRS Charity
site:
http://apps.irs.gov/app/pub78

I would also encourage you to contact KCA and request they establish a
"Binghamton Rescue" fund before it's too late to help these dogs.

Gail

Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

SA_horses

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2006, 03:57:44 pm »
Mrs. Kilde, have you joined Kuvasz Connection?  ;)

Sofia

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2006, 04:00:14 pm »
No Sophia, Why?
Storm Jameson

SA_horses

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2006, 04:07:10 pm »
Well, the very same thing was posted on there, to the letter.  Maybe I'm exagerrating a little.  ;D

But I am forgetting the permission to cross-post that is right there at the bottom.  Sorry.  :-[  Stupid me making silly comments again.

Sofia

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2006, 04:07:55 pm »
I correspond privately with quite a few individuals who are either members of the Kuvasz Connection,upper Mid West, etc.. I however do not participate much in many of the boards.  I find many of the conversations inflammatory and do like to participate in petty "wars" and  attacks on others character, etc...I find that most of the boards are quite closed despite having many members and if a member unfamiliar to the "known breeders" starts or tries to participate in conversations they are either ignored or "blown" off for lack of a more apprropriate term.    Some things are best aired privately.  I do watch and keep track of plenty of info however.
I have found this board to be one of the only boards where members actually respect eachother and if conversations are noted to get heated or out of control the moderators take quick action to quell or at least temper the discussion , directing it in a more appropriate direction.  If you have any other questions about this, please email me privately. 
On another note, I made a donation through the Kuvasz Fanciers website, I donot usually use paypal although my husband does.  It makes me nervous to have all my financial info online despite how safe it is supposed to be.  Shana
Storm Jameson

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2006, 04:11:50 pm »
Its quite alright Sophia!  ::)  I read so fast sometimes I miss half of what I am supposed to see... :-[  I really must go, I have flight arrangements to make for a few babies who are going home in a few days!  I willl email you a few pic's of Myrissa with Mia, she is quite taken with her, and visa versa.  It will be exciting to see how she does in the dog club.  We are going to have her do rally when Mia is old enough.  Myrisssa is only 13 and I donot want her deterred from showing by starting in a highly competitive area.  My Aunt has bred, raised, and Shown Borzoi's for over 30 years and tells me Myrissa would love Rally.  We shall see!  Bye!  Shana
Storm Jameson

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2006, 08:29:11 pm »
Can anyone help me get to the bottom of who's really in charge that I can put people in contact with?  I'm getting a lot of e-mail from all over and having some difficulty trying to figure out who is really where doing what.  NEPR's rescue coordinator is willing to be there Sat to help if it is needed and we can get her directions and a time.   No one has returned her calls. 
Daphne

SA_horses

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2006, 09:25:19 pm »
Umm, well, I think that Mrs. Dash and Mr. Wasson are in charge, in the sense of coordinating everybody's efforts at helping these dogs.

However, Mrs. Leanne Parks, Ms. Cindy Pearce, and Ms. Lisa Boyle are the people actually going out to the farm.  Mrs. Parks mentioned in an email just now that she was in contact with the person in charge of Northeast Pyr Rescue, although she didn't say if it was through phone calls.  So I don't know.

I think I found the address, because this is information matches the breeder's name, town, and phone number: http://www.whitepages.com/5116/search/Replay?search_id=20061302269410794238&lower=2&more_info=1

For directions, you could plug it into Mapquest; I don't know where your acquaintance or friend would be coming from.

I guess that if you haven't heard anything about a time by tomorrow morning, I will email to see what I can do.

Sofia

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2006, 07:21:13 am »
Actually, it is the NEPR rescue coordinator that I was trying to link up - after I posted I got another e-mail that seemed to indicate that one of the people going Sat had been in contact with her by e-mail.  They are a well organized group and with the head of the group now in the loop, they should be a great resource for local help. 
Daphne