Author Topic: Fireworks!! Ever see a 179 lb. St. crawl under a nightstand?  (Read 7052 times)

Offline SaintMommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Lucy and Charlie with puppy pal Bosley - 10 months
    • View Profile
I am curious how did all of your Giant babies fare with the Fourth celebrations? Cassie my two year old, isn't really skiddish, she will usually hold her ground and bark at the offensive bird, dog, or other annoyance - except for the very scary, very loud gardners, then she runs inside, barks and paces till they are gone.  Last night Fourth of July, my brave girl came into our bedroom leaving behind the extra cool tile of the kitchen to find refuge from the fourth.  She was not comforted by my usual assurances of "It's OK Cassie" with the belly rub. She tucked herself between the bed the wall and then proceeded to crawl underneath the nightstand.  My girl is not a small girl... Cassie truly did not fit under the nightstand.... It was like watching an elephant try to hide in a broom closet... her entire body was sticking out... My husband and I tried not to laugh (Cassie HATES to be laughed at)We comforted our girl all night. We were hoping to take her out so people could ooohhh and awwwww over our beautiful girl, but apparently the fourth will be an inside holiday for awhile longer.  ;)
Thanks much,
Renee & Mark

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fireworks!! Ever see a 179 lb. St. crawl under a nightstand?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 10:35:16 am »
Poor girl!!  I can just picture it!

Teddy is a big baby too, but he wan't too bad for the Canada Day fireworks on Saturday night.  A few moans and whines but nothing too terrible.  Better than I thought he might be - after all he's even afraid of the dark!

Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 10:36:32 am »
This was Chester's first 'real' Fourth of July and I was concerned about his reaction.  We tested him first at the parade in the village where our cabin is....the fire engines with sirens, the lumber trucks with air horns and he was unfazed!  SOOO, we took our chances and took both he and Cowboy out in the boat with us last night to see the fireworks.  Cowboy pretty much slept through the whole show but Chester was in my lap watching the fireworks calmly.  I was really surprised!  He did crawl up to the front of the boat to cuddle with all the boys, but he was absolutely fine.

Is Cassie okay today??  I'm sorry she had a rough go.  I do understand how hard it would be to not giggle when she was pulling her ostrich!!! 

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 11:02:48 am »
Poor Cassie!  A lot of dogs are like that.  The Humane Society has reported that they get the highest amount of runaway pets on the 4th of July.  So many animals get spooked by fireworks, especially dogs and they will jump fences because they are so spooked.  One year, my dad's Airedale got so freaked out by fireworks he left a trail of poop all the way up the stairs to their room where he was hiding.  My friend's Lab ran away for almost 2 days last year because she got so freaked out by fireworks overhead.  Drake on the other hand, slept through it all this year, you'd think he was dead.  Although, he had been swimming all weekend in Lake Tahoe, so he was pretty wiped out.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 11:10:16 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 11:24:38 am »
We brought both of our dogs to the Canada day fire works, and neither cared the tinest bit about the whole fireworks ordeal. But I know all to well what you mean about the elephant in the broom closet, all I have to do is break out the dreaded vacuum and all 190lbs of Hutch will proceed to TRY and climb under any and everything for protection. Poor fella, weather permitting he stays outside when the vaccum comes out, or we shut him in our bedroom to keep him calm.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 11:56:10 am »
Poor Cassie  :-X

We didn't have any fireworks in our town this year, but Zoey is not a big fan of fireworks either. When she was a puppy she was not afraid of anything, so we tried taking her to the fireworks once. She LOVED meeting all of the people and getting pet by everyone, but as soon as they started she freaked out. She was so scared we couldn't even get her to walk so we ended up having to carry her home as fast as we could (she was only like 50lbs then).

RIP former BPO

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 01:13:58 pm »
Poor Cassie!  I know how you feel though.  Sophie does not like fireworks at all!! Last year was out first 4th of july with her. She gets very stressed. She will pant very fast and hides at the top of the basement stairs (kind of weird place but its the only spot where there are no windows.  This year we decided to give her Ace. a seditive from the vet.  It worked wonders. She slept through everything and it did not phase her.  It was wonderful.  This is the same seditive they give dogs who don't do well with thunderstorms (although we don't really have that problem).  I don't remember what the full drug name is but my vet just calls it ace.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 01:17:18 pm »
Tsu has always been good with them.  When she was younger I used to take her with me. 

Last night at our little family display (they were little lame-o ones for baby Zac) Boudreaux scratched at the door and whined to be let out so I put the baby gate at the stairs and figured we would give it a go.  Of course within 3 seconds he had pushed over the babygate and was on the steps with me.  The very next thing we set off was a color-shower thing with a very loud, high pitched whistle.  I didn't realize big boy could fall over himself so much to get up those steps!  He decided he would rather be inside away from the scary fireworks.  Maybe next year!
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 01:19:30 pm »
Poor Cassie!  I know how you feel though.  Sophie does not like fireworks at all!! Last year was out first 4th of july with her. She gets very stressed. She will pant very fast and hides at the top of the basement stairs (kind of weird place but its the only spot where there are no windows.  This year we decided to give her Ace. a seditive from the vet.  It worked wonders. She slept through everything and it did not phase her.  It was wonderful.  This is the same seditive they give dogs who don't do well with thunderstorms (although we don't really have that problem).  I don't remember what the full drug name is but my vet just calls it ace.
Poor Cassie!...I truly feel bad for her!...I am not sure if ACE is a good idea for Cassie though...I know it can be deadly to Pyrs because of their very slow metabolism...N ot sure if St.'s are the same with it or not...good thing the 4th is over & Cassie can come out from under the nightstand. :D I'm sorry but the picture in my head is funny!

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 02:08:51 pm »
We let off just a few in the backyard. Nothing too obnoxious. We had about 10 people over, and all three of the boy-os behaved beautifully for the company. You'd swear they were on sedatives as calm and well-behaved as they were!

Zues had his ball, and was perfecting his "Jedi Mind Trick" on all of our guests.... (This is the ball you are looking for....you will throw the ball.....)

Onyx slept through the whole thing...

Apollo did not do well at all. He hates any kind of loud noises. He freaks out when the subwoofer on our entertainment center is turned on for a movie. He ended up wedging his....large posterior....u nder our bed and stayed there until Mommy came back inside to cuddle with him. (*big baby*) Of course, part of that could have been the result of the fact that I had just gotten home that monring from a 10-day trip in Cancun.....
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 08:53:51 pm »
Well, Carter is mostly deaf.  He barked a lot at all of the flashes but I don't think he heard much of the noise.  He did quite a job of protecting us from those flashes of light!  Katie, on the other hand, spent the night cowering in the depths of the barn, where she rarely goes.  She normally prefers to sleep out under the grape vines.  Needless to say we didn't go for our walk last night.  We had a shortened walk the night before because one of the neighbors was lighting off little crackers.  Katie dragged me home.  Tonight was interesting too.  No noise but the neighbors cows were out.  When I realized there was nothing between me and that large bull, I decided we might not want to continue to pass that way.  That's 3 short or non-existent walks in a row.  Tomorrow I'll probably levitate. :o
Daphne

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 10:58:28 pm »
My girls freaked out soooo bad. This was Zoey's second 4th of July with us, but she was so scared. Neither of the dogs are allowed under our deck and to prevent this, we put a gate up so they can't get under there. Zoey repeatedly broke it down (wooden, mind you) and hid under there. So I penned her and Dolly up last night. That way they could hide in their dog houses. I hope everyone else's Big Paws were fine! Mine are doing better today.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline forgottensecrets

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Forgotten Secrets Kennels
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 12:44:53 am »
Well, it was carnival fireworks, not Fourth of July fireworks, but here is how our one rescue did.

We took my show pup, Abby, and our recent male rescue, Batista, to my grandma's for dinner and then fireworks at the carnival.  Because the dogs weren't allowed on the carnival grounds, we put them in the outdoor kennel my grandma has in her backyard.  The fireworks are less than a mile from her house, and we had no idea what Batista's personality was with different situations.  Well, we get back from the fireworks, tired and wanting to collect the dogs and go home, when my mom and sister come running up from the back yard yelling Batista is missing.  He slipped out of a hole in the fencing of the kennel, leaving Abby in the kennel alone.  She isn't really smart enough to get out.  We start searching for him and I see a patch of blood on the road in front of my grandma's house with a clump of his hair on it.  I feared the worst.  We couldn't find him lying anywhere.  My sister and dad went in the van to look for him and were gone for a good half hour.  While they were gone, my grandma decided it was a great time to tell me the blood was from a groundhog she had removed from the road earlier.  Grr.  Well, my sister and dad get back and my sister was crying.  I again became more afraid.  I looked in the van and he was in there without a scratch.  He had run about a mile in the opposite direction and was running along the side of the highway.  Yea, what a big baby.  Abby was a little over excited when we got back to my grandma's house, but the fireworks didn't seem to effect her.

That's my story, and I hope it didn't scare anyone else.  heh.

-Rose-
-Rose-

"Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lifes whole"
                 -Roger Caras

Icerotti

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2006, 05:26:48 am »
What a visual Cassie :o You poor girl.

Well our big ol gun dog Farley the Vizsla heard one firecracker go off and was at the patio door with his tail tucked between is legs :o God he is sooooooooooooo o  lucky an actual hunter didn't buy him :-\  Rosie could have cared less and looked around like WHAT is his problem.
 Puck usually sleeps through them. ;)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 05:28:08 am by Icerotti »

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 01:05:59 pm »
Sadie lost her freaking mind with the fireworks. She didn't know what to do. She was running around like a maniac trying to protect everyone from the big bad noises. She hovers over Maggie the cat anyway, but this was nuts. Poor girl didn't know what to do with herself.
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge