Author Topic: Just another day at the dog park-- well, ONE of us was laughing!  (Read 3569 times)

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
This has got to be the most ridiculous dog park experience yet. Most of you know how much I just LOVE the dog park
The boys haven't gotten out much lately, every now and then I get a stupid attack of guilt and think they need to, which is dumb, because they'd both rather stay home and lay in front of the fan, or romp with each other in the play yard.
So, when I got off work unexpectedly early Monday, I took them to the nice dog park near the reservoir, which is pretty much empty mid-day. They just kind of wandered around, the pointer that doesn't like Earnest was there, but that's fine, I stay on one side of the park, he stays on the other.
This is a BIG open park, we were down toward the back and off to the west, keeping our distance from the pointer. There's a metal bench I make "home base" with my water and collapsible dishes, and my poop bags- I bring extra and fill the receptacles. A lady with a young? (year, maybe a little more) Lab arrived. She didn't have a lead on the dog, and it was being goofy, running back to the car, and then to the lady as she tried to open the gate. She held the first gate open and the dog finally ran in.
Meanwhile, Earnest walks away from the bench where I'm sitting and Phyfe is laying in the shade, and dumps a huge load of Great Dane cow pie. So I grab a bag and head to clean up. Earnest is watching the lady and the new dog, I send him back to down stay by Phfye until I can assess the new arrival. As soon as the woman gets the second gate open her dog takes off like a shot. She is leisurely walking behind, there is no way she will keep up. I'm standing by the pile of poo, but haven't picked it up because I don't want to get caught off guard, I'm watching the pointer as well as keeping an eye on my dogs. I'm thinking Earnest will get a good run out of this, Phyfe really doesn't like to play the kind of games Labs play. This dog runs right up, through the poo with all fours and then LAUNCHES at me, pooey feet all over my shirt. I say "OFF" with a push, and the dog gets down, bounces in the poo some more, and comes up for another jump. I grab him by the elbows on his front legs and overbalance him so he falls, - and yes, sometimes God smiles  he falls right in the POO! About this time the lady finally catches up, and the dog runs to her, she puts her hand down and rubs it along the dog to see if it's hurt, and gets ....(you see it coming, don't you?) a big smear on her hand. By now I'm cracking up, and I don't care about poo on me (after all it's an occupational hazard) and it's WORTH IT to see this. The lady starts yelling, Phyfe starts barking, and Earnest is up with his tail wagging, just waiting to "break" and join in the fun. So far the lady hasn't said anything, because she was catching her breath from chasing the dog. I say "please hold your dog while I get mine, so this doesn't get worse" and I'm still laughing. She starts something about "hurting her dog and it's only a puppy and doesn't understand, and has a problem with jumping and" ....... but she's hanging on for dear life, so I go leash up the boys and head out - on the way I meet the Pointer and his owner, and HE'S cracking up, too (I like this man, our dogs just don't get along so well) so he says "bye" through a fit of giggles, I hang back so he can get out, then I go out. I load the boys in the back of the car, then am walking around to unlock the front when the goofy dog comes running up again-in the parking lot- the lady hasn't finished with me. Phyfe goes nuts because he's territorial, he noisily protects the car. Earnest starts his annoying high pitched want to play bark because it's a Lab, and they're fun. The lady again wants to argue about me "manhandling" (isn't it "doghandling?") her dog, then make nasty remarks about "aggressive" dogs not belonging. The Pointer guy pulls alongside in his SUV and says "I saw the whole thing- if it was me you'd be paying for a new shirt- I suggest you take your dog to obedience school before you come back here." This gives me time to hop in the car and go. NO MORE stupid park for us, I've been too lazy- it's back to hiking the off lead, no bicycle trails- I need the excersize anyway. Of course, I might go again... if I need a good story!
______________ ____

DakotaMom

Re: Just another day at the dog park-- well, ONE of us was laughing!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 08:36:36 pm »
What a great story!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 08:51:14 pm »
lol  :D
RIP former BPO

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 08:57:20 pm »
Great story. I guess poop happens ;D
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 10:31:18 pm »
That is hilarious!!!...Ya' know I hate when people make excuses for their dogs bad behaivor but do nothing about it but accept it as "that's the way he is"...That's like saying my son beat the crap out of your kid & I am sorry but he has anger issues....Gees h!

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 04:30:52 am »
You are much more gracious than I just was on your behalf!! hehe
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Icerotti

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 04:45:47 am »
oh mY :o what a day....lol

Offline zanie

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 10:47:54 am »
 :D  Well, I guess SOMEONE should learn to control her spastic dog and he wouldn't get the bounce, would he???!  AND I have to tell you that the image of her running her hand across her dog and getting a poo smear on it is KILLING me!  I really shouldn't laugh out loud at work but it's so hard not to with that image.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner

Seattle, WA

Offline fwichman

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 11:47:24 am »
How diserving. Maybe she needs social training as well as her pup.

doggylover

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 09:40:15 am »
You should have gotten her license plate and from that gotten her home address so you could send her a fresh bag of poo every so often.  Maybe it would remind her to train her pup!
Thats me, always thinking of others...
 :) ;D :)
HMMMM I feel some strange kinship with this stinky fingered lady, I wonder if she compulsively sniffed her hands all the way home, to see if they still stunk?
 :D :) ;D ;)
OHOHOH you could put a note on the poo that said, "the universe wants you to have this poo as a gentle reminder to train your pupper"
 ;D ::)

Offline zanie

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 09:44:53 am »
You should have gotten her license plate and from that gotten her home address so you could send her a fresh bag of poo every so often.  Maybe it would remind her to train her pup!
Thats me, always thinking of others...
 :) ;D :)
HMMMM I feel some strange kinship with this stinky fingered lady, I wonder if she compulsively sniffed her hands all the way home, to see if they still stunk?
 :D :) ;D ;)
OHOHOH you could put a note on the poo that said, "the universe wants you to have this poo as a gentle reminder to train your pupper"
 ;D ::)

;D ;D ;DBWAHAHAHAHA!!!  You are too funny, Ronda! ;D ;D ;D

I thought of you the other day when I was cleaning up poo at the dog park and just as I was about to grab it, I noticed a hole in the bag!  I said to Hubby, "Man, I'd hate to have to walk around smelling my fingers all day!"  He didn't get it but I was borderline hysterical!
"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner

Seattle, WA

doggylover

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 09:48:48 am »
;D ;D ;DBWAHAHAHAHA!!!  You are too funny, Ronda! ;D ;D ;D

I thought of you the other day when I was cleaning up poo at the dog park 
OMG WHAT have I done to my BPO reputation?!?  That has me crying I'm laughing so hard...Zanie it doesn't even matter what came after 'I thought of you the other day when I was cleaning up poo...'.  That is SOOOOOOO twisted.  It's just WRONG.
WHERE IS MEL?  She will DIE when she reads this. 
BWAHAHAHAHAHAH AHA
 :D

DakotaMom

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 10:13:47 am »
Hey Ronda, I told my Mom a few days ago about your stinky fingers so after your welcome to her I had to tell her that you were the "stinky finger" lady I had told her about.

We love ya! Just think, you taught us a very important lesson about checking the bags for holes. You have saved many people from walking around with stinky fingers!