Author Topic: Speaking of getting 'Fixed'....Question?  (Read 5308 times)

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Speaking of getting 'Fixed'....Question?
« on: July 09, 2006, 09:47:07 am »
I was told once by someone that 'fixing' a puppy will stud (sp?) their growth. ???

Is it ture?? Does anybody know for sure??? ??? :-[

In a some what related concern... a breeder will only sell her pups once they are fixed, hence why their prices are higher... Can they be fixed that young??? 
I personal rather wait, and let them mature a bit, and be a whole dog for bit.  Nevertheless, I would NEVER breed my dogs, or let them and go have 'fun'....  ::)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Speaking of getting 'Fixed'....Question?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 10:09:34 am »
As far as I know, an early neuter doesn't affect the dog's eventual size.  I think that's pretty much an effect of heredity (given healthy foods, etc).  I know here in California, if you were to adopt an animal out of the pound, it would be neutered before you could bring him/her home.  We've adopted all of our cats from the pound and they are all huge!

I know that many breeders feel that a dog will not get as muscular if neutered too early, but I think that needs to be weighed against all the other aspects of full maturation (humping, marking territory, more aggressive behavior).  In the Newf world, there is a discussion about hypothyrodism in neutering/spaying an older dog.  There seems to be some connection between the two.

All in all, I think neutering any time after about 7 - 8 months is fine...earlier if necessary!!

This is of course, my humble opinion!!! ;)

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 10:14:44 am »
Yes, I would be confortable with that, 7 to 8 months.

Speaking Newfie... a co-worker was told be the vet that he should have his female Newfie fixed at 4 months because if they wait any longer, she'd be too big to get on the table.

What's your thoughts??

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 10:19:01 am »
Hahaha!  Yeah, my vet told me that too.  It is hard to wrestle a 70 - 80 pound dead weight dog on to the table....but that's what vet techs are for!  They help!  I think you have to do what's right for each individual dog.  With our female, we spayed her at about 8 months...befor e her first heat and she was fine.  If your friend wants to do it at four months, that would be fine too.  I just have this thing about doing surgery on a "baby".  Four months just seems so young!! ;)

DakotaMom

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 10:22:13 am »
To big to fit on the table at 4 months? What would that vet do if he needed to perform surgery on an adult? If I were her, I would start looking around for a vet that can handle a large breed.

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 10:23:34 am »
I definitly agree... this is his first BIG dog... and I wish I got to see her grow  :'( .

Now, I think she is just turned a year, and he said she slow getting up.
Can it be, a pup that young already having Hip Dispasia??
Very sad when I heard that.  :'(

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 10:26:01 am »
Dogs can be born with hip dysplasia and many times the first time you see the problem is at about a year, when they are starting to get closer to their full adult height and weight.  The pup should be checked as soon as possible for it because there is so much that can be done early to minimize the pain and effects of dysplasia.

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 10:33:05 am »
Yea... I think he has done that...
I wish I knew more tho about her... he don't really talk to me about her... I think it's because of all of his MANLY buddies around.  sheesh :(

Lyn

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 11:19:50 am »
Here's a site that compares dogs spayed/neutered early and those left intact longer. Apparently the early spayed/neutered dogs were taller. ??? How true any of this is I don't know...

http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 11:36:24 am »
Thank-you... I will take a look at that site.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 11:23:49 am »
With large breeds from now on I am going to get them fixed as soon as possible.  For a selfish reason, they charge by the pould for the drugs.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs