Author Topic: What kind of collar does your dog wear, and why?  (Read 19035 times)

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of collar does your dog wear, and why?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 02:24:38 pm »
well, lets start with zero... my little bully boy. He used to show, i am no longer showing him because he hates it... So his old show choke is on 24/7, with his town tag ... He has a beautiful 100$ spiked leather Harley Davidson that he often wears, and we walk him on a pinch (or prong) collar...
memphis, fawn dane,  wears a bright hunter orange nylon collar. the bright hunter orange, is because we are often in the woods, and i am afraid of him being mistaken as a deer... and is walked on a choke

Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2006, 05:21:12 pm »
Hey whatever works and you and your fir kid are comfortable with I'm all for.
I like the fact that mine is stainless steel,has never colored their collars and doesn't break hair around their necks.

I have used many collars as well,especially while trainning.And usually go with what works best for that indivual dog.

T

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2006, 05:27:19 pm »
Cowboy is wearing a 'bamboo' collar which has a built in lead. (http://www.bamboopet.com/dogs/collars_harnesses_leashes/)  It's perfect for him because he never pulls when we walk.  Chester on the other hand has a neoprene collar since he's in and out of the lake all day and it's strong enough to hold him when he'd really, really like to go chase deer ::).  His collar is by ezydog (www.ezydog.com)

They both have leather collars when they are at home.  I'd send pics. but I left the connecting cord to my camera at home!!

Both of my girls have the quick control leashes with the seat belt buckles by Bamboo.  Good for making my girls stay in the backseat where they belong. ;)

Offline Bosmum

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 03:03:22 pm »
Bo has a leather collar.  Somehow, he's been able to tear off and eat all the previous collars...this one seems to be a keeper.

GR8DAME

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 03:22:20 pm »
Strider and Raven have nylon collars with the quick release for their tags. Merlin gets to go nekked because Strider has eaten 8 collars off of his neck-- as in consumed-- all but the tags and buckles. I don't like the fact that I have no way to grab Merlin and nowhere to keep his tags, but I am tired of indulging Strider's wierd appetite. I may have to make a quick run into the local Ace Hardware, MagicM3. Thanks for the idea.
Stella

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 03:39:06 pm »
Cowboy is wearing a 'bamboo' collar which has a built in lead. (http://www.bamboopet.com/dogs/collars_harnesses_leashes/)  It's perfect for him because he never pulls when we walk.
That collar looks so neat I think I am going to go out and buy one for Zoey tommorow!
RIP former BPO

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 03:49:32 pm »
It IS very cool!  I love it!!

Go for it!  Zoey wants it NOW!

Icerotti

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2006, 03:55:16 pm »
Cowboy is wearing a 'bamboo' collar which has a built in lead. (http://www.bamboopet.com/dogs/collars_harnesses_leashes/)  It's perfect for him because he never pulls when we walk.  Chester on the other hand has a neoprene collar since he's in and out of the lake all day and it's strong enough to hold him when he'd really, really like to go chase deer ::).  His collar is by ezydog (www.ezydog.com)

They both have leather collars when they are at home.  I'd send pics. but I left the connecting cord to my camera at home!!

Both of my girls have the quick control leashes with the seat belt buckles by Bamboo.  Good for making my girls stay in the backseat where they belong. ;)

I have a pink leash for Rosie--they are the best with the seatbelt right in the leash--I love mine. ;D

Nicole

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2006, 04:07:09 pm »
Cabeza has a 1" Lupine collar in Monarch Red.
http://www.lupinepet.com/dog/lg_dog.html

I absolutely LOVE Lupine collars. They have a lifetime guarantee even if the dog consumes them. And, it still looks as good today as the day I bought it 6 years ago. seriously .It looks brand spankin' new. I've often thought of buying him a new one, but I can't really come up with a reason why.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2006, 08:48:54 pm »
Keiko right now is wearing a soft leather purple collar with matching leash.  She also wears a prong collar for walks.  In addition, she also has a brown leather collar with turquoise studs and matching leash, her old black leather with metal diamond studs, and a bling bling v-neck ruby and diamond rhinestone collar for special occcasions.

Gunther has a red leather collar.  It's so hard to find nice looking collars in his size. 

Nigel and Posey both have identical collars, but in different colors.  Rhinestone nylon collars in red (Nigel) and powder blue (Posey) with matching leashes.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2006, 01:59:16 pm »
Keiko's old collar, the black one, did leave a small portion of her neck right in front a dingy gray color.  I don't think it was the dye wearing off though, b/c she had that collar for years, I believe 6 to be exact, and I would think the dye wouldn't keep coming off after all that time.

I actually think the marks were made from either her tags or the metal o-ring on the collar.  Okay, I just made a quick check and she still has a small mark, but I think it's from her old collar and the fact she hasn't had a bath in a long time.  The mark isn't nearly as dark or noticable as it used to be, but it's a buggar to get to come out.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2006, 08:23:06 pm »
I went to petsmart today to buy a bamboo collar/leash and they don't carry the XL size  >:(
RIP former BPO

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2006, 09:12:45 pm »
Try the website... ;D

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2006, 05:24:55 am »
Another resource for collars is www.thetrumanc ollar.com  25% of every purchase is donated to the Morris Animal Foundation to fund research on Hemolytic Anemia.  The people who make the collars have a Leonberger who is in Cirra's Obedience class.

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2006, 08:31:22 am »
Einstein wears two collars -- usually.  One, a red nylon collar, for holding his tags and for when he sits in the front yard (chained to a post!).  Second collar is half nylon half chain -- for walking.  I put it up high on his neck, right behind his ears and walks very well -- especially the first 10 minutes when he's RARING to go. 

Typically if the vet doesn't let him dry enough before putting the collar back on, it will turn his white fur pink, but that's rare.

Sarah