Author Topic: What kind of collar does your dog wear, and why?  (Read 18870 times)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
What kind of collar does your dog wear, and why?
« on: July 10, 2006, 11:29:36 am »
So lately I have been thinking about getting some new collars for my gang. Not training collars, but the ones they wear all the time to keep their tags on. Right now pretty much everybody is wearing a hemp collar. I got these because I like the designs a lot and the hemp is really lightweight, which I think is good.

But I have been thinking a lot more about getting some nice leather collars. It seems like they would last a really long time. I personally don't like nylon, it's kinda sharp around the edges and the leashes always hurt my hands. And I like the whole matching-leash-and-collar deal. ;)

So tell me folks, what kinds of collars do your dogs wear, and why do you like them? I know some folks on here have some really cool collars and I'd love to hear about the advantages or disadvantages of the different kinds.

Let's see pictures if you've got them!!! ;D  Here are some pictures of some of my dogs' collars. ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 10:06:46 am by doghealer »

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of collar does your dog wear, and why?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 11:52:25 am »
Mine have the nylon collars right now but I just bought Cinder and Kaila leather collars.  As they have reached the grand old ages of 2 and 1 1/2 they have settled down enough to be able to put a leather collar on.  They just can't sit still for very long so the nylon was great for quick attaching and releasing. I like the rope leashes but Kaila chewed through hers and I just found some great leather leashes for them.  But I am really picky about my choice in leather for both me and the dogs.   Sorry, I don't have any pictures that actually show the collars.  Their fur covers it.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 11:59:20 am »
Right now, Dazy and Ladybug both have matching striped nylon collars.  Dazy doesn't sit still long... so I have to have something quick and easy.  Plus she's still growing and changing .... so I'm not wanting to make a huge investment until I know that it's going to last awhile. 

Kiahpyr

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 12:11:52 pm »
I ordered Kitana a retro-pet collar. I havent' recieved it yet, so no pics. Should be here soon though. EastJenn has them for her puppers also. You can get matching leashes too!

www.retro-pet.com

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 12:12:28 pm »
oou when i get home i'll send in a picture of fumbles!  he's got a green one with blue whales on it!  very cape cod!  ;)
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 12:20:50 pm »
Cowboy is wearing a 'bamboo' collar which has a built in lead. (http://www.bamboopet.com/dogs/collars_harnesses_leashes/)  It's perfect for him because he never pulls when we walk.  Chester on the other hand has a neoprene collar since he's in and out of the lake all day and it's strong enough to hold him when he'd really, really like to go chase deer ::).  His collar is by ezydog (www.ezydog.com)

They both have leather collars when they are at home.  I'd send pics. but I left the connecting cord to my camera at home!!

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 02:08:45 pm »
Zoey has a nylon collar from Petco, it's double ply, and metal buckle. That's fine for her. Dolly is a bit more complicated, because ANY fabric collar that we have ever gotten her, Zoey has slipped it off her head and torn it to shreds. So Dolly's collar is a choke chain right now, but I have it so that it can't tighten, it can only slip over her head. Not glamorous, but I'm praying that as soon as their puppy stages are over, I can get something pretty!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 03:55:52 pm »
I too use blocky dog collars BDgrip.... I like the fact I have a handle to grab, the width (2") because it gives me something to grab with all their fur.. nevermind the quality of the collars

Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Kiahpyr

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 03:57:30 pm »
Kitana's collar came today. Here's a picture.

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 11:27:51 pm »
I gave up on all the different kinds of leather and nylon and fancy collars and I found one that I like better than any I have had in the past.

I'm not sure how I went this way I think it was Magic and I got a baby puppy collar for him at a store in the mall just for fun mind you and it was Spencers or one like it.

Actually it was a bracelet for people and it was pretty.

He out grew it rather quickly, but I liked it and thought why can't I use something like it for a collar full time.

Of all places I found exactly what I wanted at Ace Hardware.
They sell it by the ft,and the keeper that connects the ends seperate for 29c or something.It depends on the size of the chain.

I will try and attach a pic of it.It is stainless steel,and strong enough for using with leash of your choice,it doesn't break the hairs around their neck,and while It is NOT a training collar.It serves the purposes I need it for.

Of course I had no idea at the time teens and young kids worde them for bracelets and necklesses to look cool ;D

It looks like  jewelery to lots of people,and I get it for 1.29 a ft at the hardware store.
Now if I can attach a pic I will
Well it looks like I succeeded let me know what you all think.
Tricia
\
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 12:10:38 am by MagicM3 »

Offline jamyj

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Dogster
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 12:53:04 am »
I like leather collars for my dogs.  We have this one for Louie, which he just grew into this week:

http://www.fordogtrainers.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=265

Mac has a plain black leather one, but I ordered him a new one that should be in any day.  Bella still has a cheap one from Walmart. 

I'm going to start making my own soon, just as a hobby and maybe sell them if I get any good at the leather-working.

Here are a few good sites to look at collars:

http://www.housepetsupply.com/

www.fordogtrai ners.com

http://www.kristalas.com/

www.blockydogs .com

http://www.bigdogboutique.com/default.html

www.bigtalldog .com

http://tailsbythebay.stores.yahoo.net/

http://www.molossermart.com/

Hope this helps!!!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 02:17:01 am by jamyj »
The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs!

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 08:03:08 am »
Thanks for the input everybody. This is very educational! And thanks for all the website links! I don't know how I'm going to decide now!!! ;) :D

Does anyone know if leather collars stain the fur on white dogs?

Offline mamadoglewis

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 08:23:22 am »
We have the round leather collars for our boys. One red and one tan. The darker colors like red definitely stain if they get wet for the first few weeks but once the excess dye is off they are fine.

Offline 8BIGPAWS

• Gnawer
  • Molly (black) & Murphy (white)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 01:38:07 pm »
Molly and Murphy both have 1" (Lupine)martingales for their 'tag' collars.  I can walk Murphy on his martingale. He's a dream on the leash.   Big girl Molly needs her prong collar (the good German kind) to pay attention and not pull. She's really strong. She's getting better all the time though..she's only 14 mo. Murphy's the same age.    I choose martingales cause both dogs can get spooked and go back on me and walk out of regular collars (that's scary!). Martingales say on.  Molly gets walked on her martingale when we're someplace out of the way.   I bought nylon cause they tend to chew on each others collars when playing and I thought leather might be even tastier and not such a good idea.  It's cheaper to replace the nylon ones.

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 01:55:36 pm »
Makes sense to me,as I said in my post the collar I use is not one for training,it basically keeps their tags,and since they are trained I can use it for walks or anything else I need.
falkor our newest pup I will probally use a margingale while training.

Tricia