Author Topic: Doggie Shower - Need Ideas!  (Read 3210 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Doggie Shower - Need Ideas!
« on: July 10, 2006, 12:38:26 pm »
Hey, Everyone! I need your help. I want to have a doggie shower to welcome Derby into the family and our circle of friends because he's such a special boy. I need some ideas on what to do and how to decorate, special treats to serve (people & pups), etc. to make it really fun for everyone. I'm going to invite all my friends and their dogs - and all of you, of course if you want to make the trip to oppressively hot and humid Louisiana.

I have a big backyard so the dogs can play out back while the people flow in and out of the house/porch/yard.

Let's hear your ideas!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Doggie Shower - Need Ideas!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 12:55:54 pm »
I think it would be a cool idea for each person invitied to bake a batch of homemade doggie treats for the pups to share at your house or bag a few per bag for the pups to take home as party favors.  They could also bring the recipe already written out on recipe cards to pass out.  Yes, the Undercover Princess is also a Polly Homemaker!  :P 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 01:02:08 pm by Softhug »
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline Boyle

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 12:56:13 pm »
I am going to sound like such a horrible person but we only served appetizers and many, many cocktails at Nola's shower.  I am amazed our breeder let us have him.  I am now hanging my head in shame.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 02:14:48 pm »
I had already thought about the homemade dog treats. I was going to make some and pack them in "doggie bags" for each of the pets that came, but adding a recipe card is a great idea!

How about creative dog-themed cocktails? Like, "Amor-mutto Sour" (instead of Amaretto sour? I know it's lame, but I'm trying to think on my feet here - help me out!)

What people food can I make, besides hot dogs, that may be dog-themed?
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 02:31:06 pm »
HaHA! Of course! or Pupcorn Balls (since Derby doesn't have any! hee hee). Speaking of Popcorn. I thought I'd be nice and share some of my popcorn with Derby yesterday. I used to feed Oasis popcorn all the time (two for me, one for you) and he loved it. Well, Derby loves it to, but apparantly, it doesn't love him. I had to clean up popcorn puke off my freshly cleaned floors last night. Poor Derb...

rickysmom1

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 02:46:07 pm »
http://http://www.beerfordogs.com/

Beer for the humans and beer for the dogs.  ;D

Icerotti

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 03:33:39 pm »
You could make bandanas for the doggies attending :)

I found a dog bone pinata....can't get the link to work

PUPPY OR DOG PARTY GAME IDEAS

.Find the bone with real dog biscuits.
write numbers on the bones and the children can receive a prize that corresponds to the number on
their bone.
.Water bowl relay races with real dog bowls
.Tug of War
.Puppy challenge obstacle course

*Doggy Drink Race: What you'll need for this Dog game are two or three doggy dishes. Put Jell-O or any kind of drink in these doggy dishes and have the kids kneel beside the dishes with their hands behind their backs and see who finishes first the doggy drink. This is always a hilarious party game idea!

*Raw-Hide Bone Toss: This cool party game idea is a version of a bean bag toss - but with little raw-hide bones instead. Use a poster-board dog picture, cut out a hole for the mouth and have the kids try to throw the bones into the dog's mouth

*Poop-Scoop Relay: This party game idea is basically a relay race with one new scooper per team and burnt hot dogs!

*Pin the Tail on the Dog: This is a simple variation of the classic party game idea of "pin the tail on the donkey". Get a poster of a dog, have a picture blown up, or just cut the outline of a dog from poster board and cut off the tail. Blindfold the kids so that they need to try and pin the dog's tail

*These are from kids party sites..that is why they refer to kids  ;)

« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 04:03:27 pm by Icerotti »

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 06:01:36 pm »
I love planning creative parties and such! How fun :)

For appetizers / main dishes, I would make all kinds of things in bone shapes. For instance, you could take premade pie crusts and cut them out with a big bone-shaped cookie cutter, stuff whatever filling you want inbetween two, and then press the edges together like you would with an empenada. You can make hamburgers in bone shapes, sandwhiches in bone shapes, etc. If you want to make a pasta salad or something, try and find a noodle that looks the most like rawhide or something and voila, rawhids salad. You could also take pastry sheets or cresent dough and twist them into bone shapes.

And you can make a cake that is fire hydrant or bone shaped, or a really easy paw print one (one basic round cake plus a few cupcakes equeals a paw print!) For one desert, there is a human food called Puppy Chow that looks kind of like kibble: http://cookie.allrecipes.com/az/PuppyChow.asp?rbfolderid=975794&submit=save I have had it and boy is it tasty! You could also take chocolate cookie dough, roll it thin, and then slice it into thin slices and it would look like kibble. Obviously it should be served in a dog bowl ;)

You should be able to find dog themed plates/cups/balloons/etc at a party supply store because lots of kids have dog themed birthday parties. But if you can't find premade ones, for drink decoration, you could get a paw print stamp and stamp the outside of paper cups.

Those are just some things that come to mind. You can also look through the parties on this site: http://www.birthdaypartyideas.com/html/dog_party.html to see if there are any ideas you can adapt to your puppy shower
RIP former BPO

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 07:24:06 pm »
Don't forget the Abita TurboDog beer! Brewed just north of New Orleans. ;)
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 10:17:28 pm »
Oh my gosh! These are great ideas!! I absolutely LOVE the pawprint cake idea!! How creative you are Shangrila!! And the beers - how could I not think of Red Dog and Turbo Dog!!

I can't wait to go buy all the dog bowls at the dollar store. I always look at them and think, "I don't need another dog bowl", but now I have a great excuse!!

You guys ROCK!!