Author Topic: Sadie's turn  (Read 12791 times)

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Sadie's turn
« on: July 11, 2006, 07:27:11 am »
My bean is at the vet being spayed. They said they'd call as soon as she's done. How long does it take? I'm a nervous wreck.  :-\
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Sadie's turn
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 07:40:06 am »
OHHH!!!  Poor Sadie!!  POOOR YOU!!!  It WILL be a long day!  She'll be done by mid afternoon, probably.  The surgery is not that long, it's getting them back in shape after the anesthesia and making sure she can pee. 

Cowboy and Chester send drools!! 

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 08:05:18 am »
Hi,

Winslow sends his best to one of his favorite ladies!! Get well soon Sadie!!

Rich and Winslow
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 08:09:32 am »
Sophie sends her condolences. The surgery doesn't take too long, it's the waking up part and waiting that does. She'll be zonked out for the rest of the day and probably tomorrow too. Give her a nice "safe" place to sleep. In about a week she'll be back to normal.

Did they say when they'll do her surgery?

They said she'll be done this morning, but they are also doing an x-ray while she's under so I think that might happen first? She wiggles so much whenever they try to take an x-ray that my vet thought it'd be a good idea to do it at the same time as the spay so she doesn't have to go under twice. This way they can get a clean picture of her joints. She did say she'd call me as soon as she'd read the x-rays so...who knows when that will be?
Dear Lord,

Shawna
Sadie the Newf

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 11:20:48 am »
Get well soon, Miss Sadie! Zoey and Dolly send their biggest slobbery best wishes to you! Don't worry about it too much. We got our girls back about 4 in the afternoon I think. Just let her rest when she's home and don't let her run and jump at all!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 11:28:38 am »
Just noticed that Sadie and Rosie are both getting spayed today! Didn't notice it was the same day til now.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Icerotti

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 11:29:10 am »
AWWWW Sadie...Rosie went in today too.  We wish you a speedy recovery baby. :-*

Rosie was dropped off at 8:15. The vet called at noon to say she was done, and starting to come around.  She was getting microchipped too. Now, I have to wait until 4:30 to pick her up. What torture...lol

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 12:18:42 pm »
Well, they just called to say she was done and starting to perk up. In terms of the x-rays, hips look ok, elbows are worrisome. They want to do another x-ray in 6 months or so. AND she has to stay there overnight! I asked them why and they said it was standard procedure. I can pick her up first thing tomorrow morning. My poor peanut (peanut who weighed in at 81 pounds - she grew a little I guess)! It's going to be awfully weird without her tonight.

Does that sound a little odd to anyone else? Should I be worried? They'd have to tell me if something was up right? :-\
Dear Lord,

Shawna
Sadie the Newf

Icerotti

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 12:26:00 pm »
Well, they just called to say she was done and starting to perk up. In terms of the x-rays, hips look ok, elbows are worrisome. They want to do another x-ray in 6 months or so. AND she has to stay there overnight! I asked them why and they said it was standard procedure. I can pick her up first thing tomorrow morning. My poor peanut (peanut who weighed in at 81 pounds - she grew a little I guess)! It's going to be awfully weird without her tonight.

Does that sound a little odd to anyone else? Should I be worried? They'd have to tell me if something was up right? :-\

I wouldn't be too worried. Some dogs take longer to come around out of the anethesia. It sounds like they did her surgery later in the day too. Puck had a surgery for cancer over a year ago. That boy was groggy until the next day. I wish they would have kept him over night. lolIt took both my husband and I to help him get outside and pee ::) We had to put a towel under his backend to steer him. Its hard to steer a groggy 136 pd rotti ::)

Hang in there--do something you really enjoy tonight--goto a movie, go get your nails done etc.

Sending Sadie a speedy recovery :-*
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 12:30:37 pm by Icerotti »

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 12:37:49 pm »
I'm gonin go wit she is probably still groggy so they'll keep her overnight where their staff can do the night checks. They called when hey said they would so I don't think you should be to worried. Kali and I add our best to Sadie's speedy return to being a thorn in her Mommy's side.
Try and enjoy your night Shawna, she'll forgive you eventually.

doggylover

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 12:54:35 pm »
You are just worried about Sadie because she is your lil baby and you can't see straight because you love her too much.  I would be frantic if they wanted to keep Pookie overnight.  I'm positive they would tell you if anything was up.  She is probably groggy and they want to monitor her.  It could be that they fell in love with her and want to keep her around! ;)
Try not to worry!  She'll be home and glaring at you in no time!
 :)

DakotaMom

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 01:24:05 pm »
I'm glad to hear Sadie did ok. I would ask the vets office if they have staff there overnight. My vets do not and I felt it would be better for them to be at home where I can keep an eye on them.

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 02:14:00 pm »
Thanks guys for making me feel better. I called to make sure someone is there overnight and they told me to take a deep breath and relax. She'll be fine and she's in good hands (Can we tell I call them a lot? ;)) She was just still really groggy and they want to make sure she's good to go before sending her home.

What will I do without Sadie to bug me tonight? What the heck did I used to do without the little booger?
Dear Lord,

Shawna
Sadie the Newf

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 05:44:48 pm »
Glad to hear Zoey is doing well :)

We got Zoey spayed at tufts and they always keep the dogs overnight too, although i think it is odd that your vet didnt tell you in advance when they were going to let you pick her up. Let me give you one peice of advice: if they let you visit her tonight, don't too it - we visited zoey the night she was spayed and it broke my little heart to see her so drugged up
RIP former BPO

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 05:49:02 pm »

When I worked at the vet clinic here it was standard procedure to keep surgery patients overnight , though they are like the only clinic to do that here I believe . But they have an overnight tech there to keep an eye on them . So at least you'll have Sadie when she's not so groggy ( I hate seeing them like that ! ) and I'm sure she'll just sleep until tomorrow anyways  :)
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"