Author Topic: My dog is smarter than me!!!  (Read 7324 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
My dog is smarter than me!!!
« on: July 12, 2006, 08:20:33 am »
Okay, here's the morning routine.  Cowboy and Chester go out for morning pee, come back in to have their breakfast.  After breakfast, they rush back in for "PILL TIME"...one of their favorite treats!  They both get their vitamin, Vitalzyne (enzymes to help them digest their food), fish oil, MSM and Cetyl M (for their joints), flea tabs and Cowboy gets his antiseizure med, Gabapentin.  I divvy up the pills and add a dab of cream cheese and they both gobble them down, no problem.  Unless you have a dingle-brain for a person who, for some unknown reason, puts Gabapentin in Chester's cream cheese along with all his other pills this morning.  Now understand, I smear the cream cheese all over the pills and just pop them in their mouths.  Chester, this morning, spit the cream cheese out!  I couldn't understand why...I picked up his bits, added more cream cheese and gave it back to him.  This time he rolled it in his mouth for a few seconds and SPIT OUT THE GABAPENTIN! 

HOW DID HE KNOW?? :o :o :o :o :o

EllieAndBlu

Re: My dog is smarter than me!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 08:29:52 am »
hhmmmmmm.... I am not sure sure my pups are quite that smart - they would eat glass if it was smeared in cream cheese....lol  :)
Chester - you are a genius!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 08:31:36 am by EllieAndBlu »

Offline jaspers mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 10:34:56 am »
What a smart boy!  (Personally, I get nervous when they're THAT smart.)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 10:51:34 am »
(Personally, I get nervous when they're THAT smart.)

Me too!  That's why I won't let him have the car keys!  No telling where he'd go!! ::)

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 10:56:19 am »
What a smart boy you have there! That's a little frightening, but I'm glad it worked out! Most of the time I curse Sadie's intelligence, but sometimes it can show up when you least expect it and save the day! Good boy Chester :-*
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 10:56:33 am »
Good boy chester. What keen tastebuds :)
RIP former BPO

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 01:02:47 pm »
Heck, even my human tongue can taste the diffence between my synthroid pill and the antihistimine I usually take with my eyes closed in the morning.  ;) 

Did Cowboy take it, or would he not have slobbery seconds?  ;D
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 01:38:57 pm »
Chester is smart....Cowbo y is good.  His attitude is "if it comes from Mom, it's good".  Easiest dog in the world....excep t for that seizure thing! :P

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 03:13:23 pm »
Maybe Chester is so used to the whole morning routine he knows exactly how many pills and of what kind he is supposed to get, and any change in that routine messes up his entire day?  Good boy, Chester!

Weedsport, NY

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 03:26:48 pm »
Maybe Chester is so used to the whole morning routine he knows exactly how many pills and of what kind he is supposed to get, and any change in that routine messes up his entire day?

I think you are exactly right!  I just had no idea that he (or any dog, really!) was that clever!  Change in routine...not good!

doggylover

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 03:44:00 pm »
Maybe Chester is so used to the whole morning routine he knows exactly how many pills and of what kind he is supposed to get, and any change in that routine messes up his entire day?

I think you are exactly right!  I just had no idea that he (or any dog, really!) was that clever!  Change in routine...not good!
I'm super impressed!  David doesn't even catch me when I slip him his vitamins that way!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 03:47:40 pm »
David gets his vitamins in cream cheese???  Does he lick it off YOUR fingers too?? :o :o :o

doggylover

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 04:01:10 pm »
LOLOL um no, but I have been known to poor liquid vitamins/minerals into his juice without telling him. 
 :D

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 08:06:31 am »
David gets his vitamins in cream cheese???  Does he lick it off YOUR fingers too?? :o :o :o

ROFLOL!!!!!  The things we do for our dogs!  So glad Chester figured it out.  I've had those kind of "oops" moments too with so many dogs, esp old ones, getting pills.  Jesse just came off a long round of meds and I almost slipped them to Carter and Eider a couple of times.  Ack!
Daphne

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 07:06:07 pm »
I know my dogs are smarter than me! :D My only saving grace is that I am more stubborn than they are...lol!