Author Topic: Paralyzed Saint - EMERGENCY!!!!!  (Read 17344 times)

Offline SaintMommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Lucy and Charlie with puppy pal Bosley - 10 months
    • View Profile
Paralyzed Saint - EMERGENCY!!!!!
« on: July 13, 2006, 01:34:40 pm »
I woke up yesterday morning and she was panting and shortly after I was awake she wimpered( very unlike Cassie) I went over to her and it seemed she couldn't move her legs. (getting her into the car, with four men and big comforter) Consequently we rushed her to our vet.  They took Xrays of her spine and her hips.  He has determined her discs have swollen from some impact and its causing compression to her spinK cord. He has prescribed prednisone, and he believes we should see improvement in 2-3 weeks. She cannot stand or walk, she has no movement in her back legs. We have to move her from side to side every four hours, as well as give her enemas, she pees where she lays, and of course we clean her off immediately.  She is incredibly depressed and seems scared.  She is still keeping her sweet temprament.  We are out of our minds, with concern and worry.  The vet says that in 90% of small dogs they recover just fine. 
Has anyone out there heard of this or experienced it, we need to hear from our Big Dog family.  We don't know if we should get a second opinion, we really  trust our vet, and he has always taken good care of her. BUT this seems like a really big deal. Please feel free to call us at 661-587-1881. THANK YOU any help is appreciated
Thanks much,
Renee & Mark

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Paralyzed Saint - EMERGENCY!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 01:37:31 pm »
I have zero experience with this, but I wanted to send you good thoughts and prayers.  What a scary thing you are dealing with!  I know you are beside yourself.  Please keep us posted.  {{hugs}} 
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline krismark

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • My babies!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 01:57:52 pm »
I am not trying to scare you, but I would like to relate my story, just in case.

I have not had experience with the exact same situation, but something similar. My 1 year old dog suddenly couldn't walk and it turned out to be cancer. I hope to god that this isn't the case in your situation.

My vet did not know what the problem was even with X-rays. They prescribed some kind of anti-inflammatory which didn't help. after a couple days we took him to Purdue Veterinary hospital, where they still couldn't figure it out until a couple days later...at which point he was in so much pain we sent him to the bridge. He was riddled with cancer and even his testicles were swollen to the size of a softball.

He was still able to (very painfully and very slightly) wag his tail though. He was not "paralyzed."

Has she had any other problems recently? Vomiting or Diahrrea? Limping or other signs of pain?

I sure hope it is just swelling and it will go away, but please be conscious that it may be something else. If you have any questions, PM me. You are in my prayers.

Offline jaspers mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 02:02:14 pm »
I'm sorry I can't help more, just remember that she'll be looking to you about what's happening.  Stay calm and positive even if you are panicing on the inside.  She's trusting you and will only get more anxious if she's getting "worry" vibes from you.  Good luck-

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 02:03:06 pm »
Sending up prayers for your girl.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 02:14:51 pm »
I have no experience that will help either, just want you to know that your big girl will be in my thoughts for a speedy recovery.

Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 02:24:55 pm »
This is really scary. Do you have any idea what the impact was? 

In HS, I had a classmate who was in a car accident and had swelling in her spinal column.  The steroids worked really well for her--she was out of her wheelchair in a couple of weeks, and down to just a cane in about 2 months.

She DID have to go to therapy to get to that point, though, so you might keep that in mind with Cassie--even though she may be recovering, her muscles may need physical therapy to relearn how to support her body.  Ask your vet about PT!
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline SaintMommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 02:26:33 pm »
Is she able to move her front legs at all? What about her tail? Can she use her front legs and you lift her hind end with a sling of sorts to at least allow her to pee/move her bowels?

Does she experience any feeling in the feet at all when pinching between her toes?

How old is she?
First,  Thanks to everyone responding!! Yes she moves her front legs no problems at all, yesterday she was moving her tale alot, today not much at all, I am not sure if it's because she doesn't feel like it or because she can't. No we are not using a sling when we gave the first enema last night she was just lying on her side, we have a giant towel folded between her legs to catch as much pee as possible, so we don't have to clean her up as much.
She has been peeing at will (of course we clean her off and she got a bath this morning),  (We thought a sling might be helpful, but she is so darn big we haven't found one yet to support her weight 175lbs.  When you pinch her toes on her back legs she does respond to pain, the vet said that doesn't relate to her motor ability though? We has labs done, and nothing unusual showed up in the labs. She is two years and two months. BTW I haven't mentioned I had knee surgery 5 days ago and am on crutches, My husband deserves the best husband and doggie daddy award. All the prayers and good wishes are deeply appreciated, and all suggestions and questions will be answered and are also incredibly appreciated.
Thanks much,
Renee & Mark

Offline SaintMommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 02:34:53 pm »
I'm sorry I can't help more, just remember that she'll be looking to you about what's happening.  Stay calm and positive even if you are panicing on the inside.  She's trusting you and will only get more anxious if she's getting "worry" vibes from you.  Good luck-

Yes, we are staying super positive with her, lots of praise and good girls! We sit by her and stroke her for hours, so she know it's ok, I keep telling her this is just temporary. My husband thanks God is a teacher so he is  off till August 15 and I had knee surgery a few days ago, so even though I am no help whatsoever in moving her, I am good mommy moral support.  It's hard not to let the worry vibes get out of control, when she looks so damn scard and worried herself. BUT I am keeping it in check.  We are keeping her routines, Mark drug her outside on big comforter this morning for about 3 hours so she could "keep watch" like she always does, but she didn't bark or do much of anything but lay there and look so sad. I think it's important to try and keep her routines as close to normal as possible.  It is very very challenging trying to move her. Mark has do it alone, and the best we have come up with is sliding/dragging her on a large sheet or comforter.  Any ideas from anyone on that would be awesome.   
Thanks much,
Renee & Mark

Icerotti

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 02:44:54 pm »
Sorry I don't have any advice. But , I  would like to send positive thoughts to you and your family at this difficult time.

Michelle

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 03:15:08 pm »
Have you thought about taking her to a vet. orthopedist?  There are many other drugs/therapies that can be used.  Regular vets are perfect for the run-of-the-mill problems, but this does seem extraordinary.  An MRI, although expensive, might give a lot more answers.

Many prayers and good thoughts to you and to her!  I agree with everybody else:  stay positive, give lots of physical loves, touching, rubs, gentle massage.  That will help relax her....and you!

Please keep us posted!!

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 03:19:28 pm »
We're sending positive thoughts and prayers for you and Cassie! 

Here is a website that sells custom slings for dogs...they might have something to help your husband help Cassie walk (especially since she can use her front legs).  [url/]http://www.handicappedpets.com/Mob-Har-FBCA.html[url]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 04:22:46 pm by Jessdryden »

Yaz

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 04:11:41 pm »
Just read your post and am sending a prayer your way. I know how stressful and worrisome it is to have your baby sick. Keep us posted with her progress.

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 04:41:42 pm »
Wow! My thoughts are with you guys through this.  Just a thought- might save your hubby from injuring his back... go buy a sheet of 1/2" plywood, and cut a piece small enough to fit through your doorways, but large enough for her to lay on comfortably, and attach wheels from your local hardware store to each corner.  Cushion it up nice with blankets, and keep her on that, so she can easily be moved around, and your hubby doesn't have to put so much strength into every move.  Hope she (and you!) recover quickly! Keep us posted please, and give her lots of gentle hugs from us.

Weedsport, NY

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 04:45:26 pm »
Never have run into anything like that, but I'm thinking positive thoughts for you and your girl.
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)