Author Topic: Paralyzed Saint - EMERGENCY!!!!!  (Read 17346 times)

Offline wiss329

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Paralyzed Saint - EMERGENCY!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2006, 04:52:55 pm »
Our thoughts and prayers are with you as well. 
Even though you trust your normal vet, there's absolutely no harm in getting a second opinion.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2006, 05:21:37 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear about Cassie.  Did they check her for the tick bourne diseases?  That's what comes to my mind and you may be able to make her a doggy sling out of PVC and canvas.  If you put it on wheels it can act like a wheelchair and they're fairly easy to make I believe.  Good luck and I hope she has a quick recovery.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

doggylover

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2006, 05:21:45 pm »
Wow! My thoughts are with you guys through this.  Just a thought- might save your hubby from injuring his back... go buy a sheet of 1/2" plywood, and cut a piece small enough to fit through your doorways, but large enough for her to lay on comfortably, and attach wheels from your local hardware store to each corner.  Cushion it up nice with blankets, and keep her on that, so she can easily be moved around, and your hubby doesn't have to put so much strength into every move.  Hope she (and you!) recover quickly! Keep us posted please, and give her lots of gentle hugs from us.
Great idea, I might make one of those for Badger for his upcoming leg surgery. 
Our thoughts are with you.  This must be terribly scary for you.  Let us know as soon as you have word on her condition. 

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2006, 05:37:16 pm »
My, you must be so scared. I would be. I am praying for you and for a full recovery for Cassie! Keep us updated every step of the way. None of us want you to be worried and scared and go through this alone. We are here for you!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2006, 08:20:29 pm »
I am so sorry to hear about Cassie  :-\

I do not have any great advice for you because I have never had to go through the same experience. But I do have a few suggestions that might help with the mobility issue. I think that if it was my baby and I knew she wasn't going to be feeling well for a few weeks, I would want to try and concoct a way for her to be able to get around by herself. I don't know how handy you are, but I found a website that talks about making your own dog cart http://www.handicappedpets.com/HomemadeCarts.htm Another idea I have to help save your back is along the same lines that other people have suggested about making basically a big scooter for you to have her lay on. But instead of making it out of somehting hard like wood, I think that I would take a coolaroo, which is a $40 hammock-like bed that you can buy at big pet stores, and add wheels to the four posts. The reason I would use a coolaroo is that it is flexible, so it would feel better than wood with bedding over it, and also because it is easily cleanable/disenfectable because it is plastic mesh and there would be air under her instead of something solid. Also, if you want to stick with the picking her up route, an alternative to a sling since you can't find one is to take a jumbo strong towel, fold it over a few times, and use it as a sling to help your husband lift her up by her tummy if she will use her front legs to stand (I use this technique often when Zoey is having trouble standing because of her HD).

Again, I am so sorry that Cassie is going through this! Feel free to contact me anytime if you want to talk.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 09:19:48 pm by shangrila »
RIP former BPO

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2006, 04:04:48 am »
I'm sorry to hear that sweet Cassie is going through this trauma!  The only experience I've had with this is related to Barkley's cancer at the end - the tumor was pressing against his nervous system.  Sounds like you've had that checked out and ruled out if I'm reading your posts correctly?  Prednozone seems to be a wonder drug.  Hope she's doing better today!
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline SaintMommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Lucy and Charlie with puppy pal Bosley - 10 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2006, 01:47:06 am »
UPDATE~ Mark, Cassie and I THANK YOU all from our hearts to yours for all the good wishes, prayers, and soft hugs. Cassie has shown some improvement today, wagging her tail and drinking more, she seems more alert. She was really depressed yesterday. We gave her another enema last night (which did not produce any results) I was very concerned this morning her tummy was quite extended and bloated.  Our vet has spoken to us everyday, he keeps reminding us this is a long process. He gave us some guidance on the enemas.  We think we have come up with a transport rig low enough to the ground to move her around,instead of dragging her on a sheet or comforter.  We will take a pic of it tomorrow and post. All of your support has been such an inspiration for us especially Mark. He has had to do so much on his own as I will be on crutches for at least another week. I think my husband is the Saint :)  I will keep you all posted as we keep moving along.
Thanks much,
Renee & Mark

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2006, 01:05:54 pm »
Glad to hear she is doing a little better today :)
RIP former BPO

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2006, 03:14:00 pm »
Tail wags are a good sign! Hang in there, and give that big girl lots of gentle lovings- hopefully every day will be a bit better for all of you.

Weedsport, NY

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2006, 08:51:13 am »
Yea! I'm glad she seems to be doing a bit better! I will keep your family in my thoughts. I hope she recovers quickly.

Offline SaintMommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Lucy and Charlie with puppy pal Bosley - 10 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2006, 10:05:38 am »
Cassie update~ Thank you doesn't seem to be enough to let everyone know what your support means to us.  You all have been so generous in sending so many prayers, thoughts and good well wishes!  We feel your support and it gives Mark and I strength. We are on day 10 and she still has yet to stand up. However we are not expecting her to do that for some time (maybe another 2-3 weeks) We have some great news, our vet Dr. Dendy at Banfield Pet Hospital in Bakersfield, did a house call with two of his assistants on Wednesday! He said she has made amazing improvement in her legs, she had immediate pain response and has moved both legs. She is now pooping on her own, (no more enemas!) she waits until we take her outside for her morning bath, and then lets go.  Her drinking has increased dramatically since a few days ago. It's about 10 -12 bowls a day(side effect of the Prednisone), which is increasing the pee pee clean up.  We are getting creative on that front as well.  I bought the largest size Depends they make and cut out the pad and put that between her legs, along with 3 puppy pee pads underneath her we can contain Niagara Falls :)She is getting a few raw spots on her paws and legs from laying down so much, the  vet suggested Desitin and Neosporin, that is keeping them from getting worse. 

It seems she is trying to stand up.  The vet suggested we get a blanket and put four leg holes in it, and then get four people and if we can suspend her for a few minutes at a time she may slowly be able to weight on the legs.  We haven't tried it yet, I will report soon.  Any other ideas on how to suspend her would be great. Her drivers license says 175 pounds, but in reality it's probably closer to 180 :)  We will keep out BPO family updated.  :) Another couple of weeks and I hope to be reporting on walks and butterfly chasing :)
Thanks much,
Renee & Mark

Icerotti

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2006, 10:07:57 am »
That is wondrful that Cassie is improving so well. Sending healing thoughts to Cassie.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2006, 10:19:40 am »
You guys are fantastic!  What a challenge you've been through!!!  WOW!

Congrats on Cassie's improvement AND on all your creative ideas on how to help her!!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2006, 04:54:44 pm »
I'm glad to hear Cassie is improving slowly but surely :)
RIP former BPO

Offline jaspers mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2006, 06:04:36 pm »
Thanks for the update.  We've been rooting for you all.