Author Topic: Can you trust your danes off leash??  (Read 6019 times)

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Can you trust your danes off leash??
« on: July 13, 2006, 11:18:34 pm »
Bella is only about to be one year old, so she's too much of a puppy for me to completely trust her.  We work on "Come" all of the time, and most of the time she is really good.  How do most danes do off leash?
I ask this because my previous dog was a mini schnauzer, and if she got loose, watch out!  It was now a game of "see mommy chase me"!
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Can you trust your danes off leash??
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 11:21:11 pm »
Leeloo is really good off-leash out in the country, but I wouldn't trust her in a busy area where there were streets and cars and traffic and whatnot.

I think in general Danes want to stay where their people are. :)

Blair

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 11:24:41 pm »
I have never had Grey off leash, I have never had any of my dogs off leah in public. Mainly because we have a strich leash law and no doggie parks to let them off leash. So i really cant answer, I think he would do fine cause he is a big baby and doesnt like being inches away from me LOL

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 11:25:23 pm »
I think in general Danes want to stay where their people are. :)
I've thought that because when we were at the dog park recently, she would come right to me when I called and while we were at the edge of the water she stayed right next to me.
She also gets really upset if she is on her leash and someone else is holding her and she sees her mama walking more than two feet away. :D
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 12:28:09 am »
Tonka stays right beside me, he may wander of for a second or two but as soon as he realizes he is more than a foot away he comes right back.
I am kind of a big deal!

cricket36580

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 05:45:36 am »
Bella I could take anywhere and she's right with me.  Foster I don't trust so much.  I wouldn't let him be leashless if we were in a busy area.  Mozart can never be off lead since he's deaf.

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 06:22:31 am »
Chance is near-perfect off leash, in terms of obeying commands, but then he has that lab gene in him.  Feste is getting better as he matures, but if he gets it into his head to play, he will run (and run and run) with little regard for anything or anyone. 
My previous dane, Alexander, was rock steady off-leash.  He would never leave my side and his recall was 100% regardless of what was going on around him.  I'm fairly certain that Feste will get there, but I'm not rushing to end his 'extended puppy-hood', either.
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Nicole

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 06:38:41 am »
Cosmo is fantastic off leash...unless there are cats. He'll kill them.  :( But, as far as recall and staying very close to me, he is absolutely amazing. I walk him out in the back 40 of my pasture (ok...its really the Back 30, but whatever) and he never goes far enough to not see me, and if he does by accident, he is like, HURTLING through the air to get back to me! hahaha! Its adorable.

Anakalia

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 03:08:18 pm »
Koby is super de duper perfect off leash!!  This actually just happened a few weeks ago, until then I could never trust him.  He's 2 now,and he's settled down a lot.  We've been doing some boundary training with him in the back yard and one day it just clicked!  He recalls perfectly, doesn't miss a beat!  Between our back yard and the neighbors it's about the size of a football field, but even if the kids are out next door he doesn't even seemed interested in them he know's where his boundaries are and doesn't challenge that.  He's such a good boy!!!

I better knock on wood, 'cause now that I gave him all this praise he'll probably try running away next time we take him out. lol

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 04:31:39 pm »
Gunther is excellent off leash, and always has been.  He's such a momma's boy I can't expect any less of him.

However he will follow Keiko, and she tends to like to wander farther.  But once he realizes I'm out of sight, or they are too far away, he will either wait for me to catch up..........or, if I'm completely out of sight, he will come running back immediately and act like he hasn't seen me in years.

Offline dogcrazyforever

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Beretta- 7 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 07:06:31 pm »
I live in the country and across our dirt road is the National Forest. So, I let Tara off the leash and she is very good. However, if we were in the city, she would ALWAYS be on the leash. She listens well but it isn't worth the chance of an accident. In comparison to other breeds I have owned, Great Danes are among the best at behaving well.
What Man Doesn't Understand
Man Fears
And What Man Fears
Man Destroys.

Stop B.S.L.

GR8DAME

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 07:26:22 am »
I am in the same boat, it is way too traffic and people congested here to do any off leash experimenting with my crew. The one time we were at Montrose Beach with Julie, Aaron and Gweck and I could try it Merlin was incredible. If he strayed more than four feet away or he lost sight of me in the crowd he would go into panic mode and sniff every woman along the was with an anxious "Are you my Mommy??" look on he face til he found me. The he would lean on my legs and get loved for a minute before he rocketed off again. Strider was not as dependable, I would have to call or go get him if he was distracted. I blame the IW in him. Raven can never be off leash, not because she would stray but because I can never trust her. Any animal smaller than she is she reguards as a snack and will attack with no warning or provication. She will not be along on the Michigan City Get-together, for those of you bringing ankle-biters.
Stella

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 03:31:23 am »
Jazmine is deaf, and she is wonderful with me off-leash... my little velcro dog. But when my hubby plays with her... she has a tendoncy to go "explore" and get away from him... They don't have a great bond. But Jaz would do anything to be with me all the time...so she is great off lead.  Being deaf though, limits the places she can go off lead...but she has a 100ft leash that she drags (i live in a condo and they require a leash) but in fields in the woods...she is great.
Lauren, Jazmine (great dane)
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Shirly and baldamore (geckos)
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Oh yeah.. my pet.. Matt (hubby)
Our pets are all above

Offline Danegirl2208

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2006, 01:55:34 pm »
my boy does very well off lead..he will lay out out in the driveway and "keep watch" while im doing yard work in the front, im just hoping a neighborhood cat wont get up the guts to walk past him, because i honestley dont know what he would do  :o
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 01:55:54 pm by Danegirl2208 »