Author Topic: Cross-country Travel Questions  (Read 8492 times)

mjjensen

Cross-country Travel Questions
« on: July 18, 2006, 08:56:06 am »
  I'm in the process of planning my trip to take Max to Colorado for his surgery and I have a lot of questions for anyone who's driven cross-country with a dog. It's just going to be Max and I and since Max can't seem to get the hang of driving a stick (sorry, a lame attempt at finding some humor in this whole situation...I keep visualizing that commercial where the dog drives the truck into the pond) I have to do all the driving myself. The trip is between 2100 and 2200 miles depending on the route I take and I've never driven anywhere near this distance before so I have no idea of how many days to plan on. How many miles a day would be a practical distance to plan on giving consideration to Max's comfort and needs. I realize that without knowing Max and I no one can give me anything exact. I'm really just looking for some guidelines to help me plan things so I get Max there on time. Any suggestions would be welcome.
 Michael

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Cross-country Travel Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 09:22:07 am »
I traveled a lot with my dog.  But really it depends on you and Max.  You know his comfort level better than anyone.  I would stop every few hours and let him stretch, you're allowed to do this also!  Bring PLENTY of water, you never know when you might get stuck in traffic.  Don't worry if Max doesn't want to eat when he travels, my mother's dog won't eat on a long trip, my dog however was in love with McD's french fries!!  Happy travels
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 09:54:22 am »
When we drive from West-Central Alabama to Northeast Indiana to visit family, it is 650 miles and takes us about 11 hours depending on road construction and how much we stop.  Less when it was just the two of us with Tsu, more with the three kids!  We usually don't stop overnight, but we do have large cities to stop in about every two hours.  Seldom do we have to stop that often. 

I second the water idea.  I would take a few gallons of water from home so changing water along the way doesn't upset his tummy, not to mention in case traffic is bad.  There are travel water bowls that don't spill too.  I would also take 2-3 boxes or packages of his favorite yummies or things to chew on (kongs, pig ears, bully sticks, etc.)  Tsu likes McD's plain cheeseburgers. ;)  Maybe a blanket, stuffy or toy that smells like home? 

I would give yourself at least 4 days one way (that would be 550 miles a day-ten hours @ 55 mph). Just suggestions but I hope it helps!   
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 10:05:10 am »
I second everything Softhug suggested!   I regularly take the Newfs 600+ miles up to our cabin in Northern Calif. and back and they totally relax and sleep for most of the drive.  I take them out for bathroom breaks when we get gas, or when I need to stop, but otherwise, they just relax.  The biggest issue is water.  They seem to enjoy the water breaks more than the pee breaks.  I take a small Coleman cooler (the size that would fit a six pack} and fill it with ice and water (it's 110+ degrees in the Central Valley now) and they submerge their whole heads in the cooler!!!  When we've stayed in hotels, I take their beds out of the back of the car and they are fine with those to sleep.  They've become great travelers!

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 10:14:14 am »
Michael,

I'm so glad that Max has you!

We used to drive about 600 miles from California to Arizona; the trip took 8 to 10 hours depending on conditions, stops, etc.  We usually let them out every few hours just to stretch and have a drink.  They mostly just sleep during the drive.

A lot of hotels will allow pets now.  We have found some good recommendation s on petfriendly.co m.  Definitely call ahead and ask though, because they sometimes change the policy!

Good luck!
Jessica

Edited to add: I just realized that I put the wrong website.  We usually use dogfriendly.co m but the other website looks interesting too.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 11:16:17 am by Jessdryden »

mjjensen

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 12:32:37 pm »
Michael,

I'm really glad I have Max. He's added so much to my life as have Sam and Duncan. I wonder sometimes what would have happened to him if I hadn't found him. I don't want to turn this into a novel but I found Max and Sam by accident while I was looking for a Newfoundland puppy. I had lost my Newfy Molly the previous summer and I really missed having a Newf in my life. None of the few local breeders here in Maine had litters with available puppys so I started checking out Puppyfind on the web. Max was on one of the Newf breeders sites as well as several of his brothers and sisters. It probably sounds silly but I felt some kind of connection when I saw his pictures and I knew I wanted him. I was only looking for one puppy but I was also drawn to Sam. All the brothers and sisters were very cute puppys but Sam was different. He was tiny and almost homely and you could tell that there was something not quite right about him. I don't know why but I had this feeling that if I didn't take him that nobody else would want him. So, I took both of them and I'm very glad I did.
  Thank you all for your suggestions. The trip is still 8 weeks away but I'm already getting nervous about it.

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 12:39:41 pm »
We're moving about 16 hours away in a couple of weeks...if I find out any good driving tips, I'll send them your way! :)

Sometimes I think we were meant for our special puppers.  Sam and Max sure are adorable!  (of course, Duncan is too!)

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 01:32:03 pm »
Michael,

I'm really glad I have Max. He's added so much to my life as have Sam and Duncan. I wonder sometimes what would have happened to him if I hadn't found him. I don't want to turn this into a novel but I found Max and Sam by accident while I was looking for a Newfoundland puppy. I had lost my Newfy Molly the previous summer and I really missed having a Newf in my life. None of the few local breeders here in Maine had litters with available puppys so I started checking out Puppyfind on the web. Max was on one of the Newf breeders sites as well as several of his brothers and sisters. It probably sounds silly but I felt some kind of connection when I saw his pictures and I knew I wanted him. I was only looking for one puppy but I was also drawn to Sam. All the brothers and sisters were very cute puppys but Sam was different. He was tiny and almost homely and you could tell that there was something not quite right about him. I don't know why but I had this feeling that if I didn't take him that nobody else would want him. So, I took both of them and I'm very glad I did.
  Thank you all for your suggestions. The trip is still 8 weeks away but I'm already getting nervous about it.

Well, I'm really glad you have each other. I think we're totally meant for the furbabies we get. I often wonder what would have happened to my idiot cat Gus if I wasn't such a sucker. Even if someone had adopted him, would anyone else have dealt with two surgeries and aftercare for a cat they found in a dumpster? Maybe, maybe not. I'm glad he doesn't have to find out. Even if he does drive me BONKERS from time to time, I can't imagine life without him.

I have no suggestions for your road trip other than have a good time, think positive and make sure you update us as soon as you can. Sadie, Gus, Maggie and I are all sending positive thoughts your way :)
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 01:54:40 pm »
You can always plan your route by the number of BPO members you can hit on the way through.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

mjjensen

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 02:19:21 pm »
You can always plan your route by the number of BPO members you can hit on the way through.
  That would be a fun way to take some of the tedium out of the trip. It would be nice to get to meet some of the great BPO people. Although, I know how much you want Max so this could just be a plot so you can kidnap him ;)

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 02:26:35 pm »
Dang it, you got me figured out.  I promise you won't leave without a giant dog, I can NOT make any promises that it will be Max. 
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs