Author Topic: Help! She insists on eating dog food!  (Read 8709 times)

SA_horses

Help! She insists on eating dog food!
« on: July 18, 2006, 07:48:23 pm »
My sister Catherine will NOT stop eating dog food!  It needs to be out for the dog, but a lot of good it does him when Catherine runs over into the bathrooms and grabs a fistful whenever she has the chance.  :-\  Then, of course, Sapphire has to accompany her to assist with emptying the food bowl.  :(

Does anyone else have this problem?  The food is Fromm's.  (Yes, we do normally feed raw, but right now it is more important that he is eating something, anything that offers half-decent nutrition.)  Any suggestions?  The two doors can be locked, but there is no key or keyhole on either door.

From another perspective, although this is very frustrating right now, it is also rather amusing.  Laugh if you like.  Mother and I are doing it right now out of frustration.

Sofia

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Help! She insists on eating dog food!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 08:14:17 pm »
I don't have this problem but maybe try putting out two dishes of food.  One for your sister and one for the dog.  Maybe if she has her own bowl the novelty will wear off.  Sorry but that's the best I have for this one.  Of course you could only feed your sister in a kennel and work on kennel training her.   :D

Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

doggylover

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 08:22:34 pm »
how old is your sister?

doggylover

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 08:29:21 pm »
I don't have this problem but maybe try putting out two dishes of food.  One for your sister and one for the dog.  Maybe if she has her own bowl the novelty will wear off.  Sorry but that's the best I have for this one.  Of course you could only feed your sister in a kennel and work on kennel training her.   :D

UM no offense but DONT put out a dog food bowl for your sister.  NO NO NO...LOLOL very bad plan. You need to teach her, just like you would teach her anything else, that she is NOT allowed to eat from the dog's dish.  If she is old enough to talk, she can be taught not to eat dog food.  Or, restrict her from that area. 

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 08:30:42 pm »
Well, this is different sort of problem, huh? *scratches head and wonders*

Assuming you are serious (please excuse me for wondering, but it's the strangest post I've seen in a long time): Maybe you can feed the dogs in a separate room, then take their food up (I'm guessing Sapphire is a dog and your profile lists another dog). That way, your sister can't get to it. If the dogs need more food than normal for some reason, then feed them several times a day like this.

SA_horses

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 08:31:50 pm »
how old is your sister?

Catherine is 20 months of age.

Sofia

doggylover

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 08:34:18 pm »
how old is your sister?

Sofia
She needs to be restricted from that area. 
 ;)

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 08:34:53 pm »
how old is your sister?

Sofia

What a cute age! That certainly explains it, huh? My odd food of choice at that age was dead rolly-pollies (pill bugs or whatever you call them).

doggylover

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 08:38:51 pm »
If she starts drinking out of the toilet, you KNOW you have a problem. 
HAAHAHAHHAHAHA HA

SA_horses

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 08:44:06 pm »
Assuming you are serious (please excuse me for wondering, but it's the strangest post I've seen in a long time): Maybe you can feed the dogs in a separate room, then take their food up (I'm guessing Sapphire is a dog and your profile lists another dog). That way, your sister can't get to it. If the dogs need more food than normal for some reason, then feed them several times a day like this.

Yes, I am serious.  Maybe I should have posted this in the forum for vents, since that is sort of what I did in starting this thread.

As an FYI: Sapphire and our little dog Gucci are listed under Good Hope's (my mother's) name.  Leo, Sapphire, and Gucci are not a problem because they are fed outside in the backyard, and we can lock that door if necessary.

This dog and his food are in the bathroom right now, and we cannot lock the doors without locking ourselves out.  This would be easy if Catherine didn't know how to open doors.

I guess there are two solutions:
1) Keep Catherine out, somehow; or
2) Persuade this dog to eat better so that leaving food out all day is unnecessary.

Sofia

doggylover

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 08:47:46 pm »
Feed the 'problem' dog, leaving the food down for 10 minutes.  Whatever it doesnt eat, is taken away.  During those ten minutes, monitor the baby closely.  Next meal, same thing.  Eventually the dog that doesn't want to eat on your schedule will eat on your schedule. 
:)
Like...after 3 or 4 days of no food, I bet the 'problem' eater will WOLF!
 ;)

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 08:48:02 pm »
Is there anywhere else you can feed him, like a bedroom or in his crate if he has one? If food is always out, then I guess your sister will have access to it. I don't have any other ideas. Good luck with it, though.

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 08:50:23 pm »
I agree that your sister is old enough to learn not to eat what she shouldn't.

She is old enough to learn not to do this,and  if an explaination of this is doggy's food,then try the reverse.

when it's lunchtime and she is hungry,set her up and give her food to the dog.

If your lucky she won't like this idea.

But she is old enough to learn.one way or another.

Magic

SA_horses

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 09:00:04 pm »
...after 3 or 4 days of no food, I bet the 'problem' eater will WOLF!

Ah, but that is part of the problem.  We can't let this dog go very long without food, and eating and drinking seem to be rather uncomfortable for him.  Once he's healthy and well, this won't be such an issue.

Magic, thinking about it, yes, we should teach Catherine not to do this.  We'll probably have to find a different way, though.

Sofia
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 09:00:39 pm by SA_horses »

cricket36580

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 09:01:15 pm »
Since I have met this wonderful child and the rest of these people have not... I just want you to know that I am ROFLMBO!!!!!!!!!!!     ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D 

Ya'll have to know this kid.  For real.  There isn't any restricting her.  She's 2 going on about 40 yrs.  If she wants dog food, she's gonna have dog food. 

Look at it this way...it's not going to hurt her really.  I'm not familiar with Fromm's but I'm sure ya'll aren't feeding anything with 4-d meat and phenylbarbitol in it.  She'll outgrow it eventually.  I know your mom is having ducks...but that's ok cause I want some more ducks...  Did I mention I was ROFL???? 

And who are you feeding in the house and why aren't you taking the food up after 20 min?  Did you get one out of LA?