Author Topic: Help! She insists on eating dog food!  (Read 8710 times)

SA_horses

Re: Help! She insists on eating dog food!
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 09:07:16 pm »
And who are you feeding in the house and why aren't you taking the food up after 20 min?  Did you get one out of LA?

No, I'll pm you.

Sofia

Icerotti

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2006, 09:10:48 pm »
Just to let you know you are not alone with this problem....lol  It does not offer any great solutions....I am sure she will move on to something different soon..patience .... ;)

http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/nutrition_fit/nutri_fit_qa/dog_food.html
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 09:12:11 pm by Icerotti »

cricket36580

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2006, 09:11:02 pm »
Okie dokey.  hug your mum for me...and kiss that beautiful baby for me too.  I miss you guys.  We're drying everyone up in Sept so I think it'll be time to start some herd stuff for you guys then...Where's my pm?  I wanna go to bed...

SA_horses

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2006, 09:22:29 pm »
PM sent.

Sofia

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2006, 08:51:03 am »
Have you tried putting a child lock on the door knob? Or a baby gate up? They make these child locks that you snap onto the door knob. It is plastic and fits loosely on the door knobs and when the kid tries to open the door the plastic knob cover just spins. You have to be able to squeeze two spots on the plastic knob and then turn the knob to get in. I have them on all the doors that I don't want the kids to be able to open. I have a 4 yr old who thinks shes 30 or so and she can't open them. It might be worth a try. You can get a 3 pack of them for like $3 or $4 at wal-mart.
Proudly owned by: Robin-3 yr old Lab mix, Brody 14 month old Great Dane, Moose a 6 month old dane
Loved by my beautiful daughter Makaylee and my soon to be adopted sons Richard and Jay And the husband too I guess

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2006, 09:42:58 am »
At twenty months, you do have your hands full.  But training a child is just like training a dog.  Positive reinforcement for good behavior, and perhaps, going to your room for bad behavior (isolation).  She is old enough to learn what is hers and what belongs to the dog. Consistency is the key!!! She smart enough to know how to open doors, etc., and at some level it seems like an attention getter.  It is just as important for a child to learn 'leave it' as a dog.  There are things that could hurt her (poisons, etc.) and she shouldn't be allowed to rule the roost! 

I'm sorry if this seems harsh, but after raising four monsters (aka my darling children!!!) you have to learn early to get the upper hand.  I learned that putting up with a few tantrums was well worth the good behavior down the line.

doggylover

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2006, 11:38:04 am »
At twenty months, you do have your hands full.  But training a child is just like training a dog.  Positive reinforcement for good behavior, and perhaps, going to your room for bad behavior (isolation).  She is old enough to learn what is hers and what belongs to the dog. Consistency is the key!!! She smart enough to know how to open doors, etc., and at some level it seems like an attention getter.  It is just as important for a child to learn 'leave it' as a dog.  There are things that could hurt her (poisons, etc.) and she shouldn't be allowed to rule the roost! 

I'm sorry if this seems harsh, but after raising four monsters (aka my darling children!!!) you have to learn early to get the upper hand.  I learned that putting up with a few tantrums was well worth the good behavior down the line.
I couldn't have said it better myself...
 ;)

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2006, 12:13:04 pm »
I don't mean to be a downer...

But David is 39, and he still eats kibble...and he started when he was just about Catherine's age. He's always thought it was just the funniest thing in the world.

I think it's a rule from God that younger brothers and sisters HAVE to do something to humiliate you.

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

SA_horses

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2006, 12:48:54 pm »
Newflvr, you needn't worry about Catherine "ruling the roost."  ;)  My parents don't put up with much nonsense from the six of us.

Sometimes, particularily in the evening, we are all busy and Catherine isn't watched as closely as she probably should be.  That's when she has the opportunity to do this sort of thing.

PrincessnMI, thank you for mentioning those!  We hadn't heard of them before and will probably try some.

No Dog Now...:D  I honestly don't find this humiliating, just frustrating.  Maybe I would if she was still doing it in a few years, but I don't think that she will be.

Catherine hasn't tried anything today so far (or last night after I posted); she's temporarily forgetten I think.

Sofia

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2006, 09:26:11 pm »
I asked my 7 year old about this type of thing (because I remember my little sister eating cat food when she was young & I thought my dd could give me some insight) & my daughter told me "cat food tastes alot better than dog food" :-\ :D ) LOL!...Perhaps give her some cat food instead? :D :D :D :D

doggylover

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2006, 09:28:19 pm »
 :-X

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2006, 11:05:47 am »
Zac had his share of kibble too.  He was a little younger...mayb e 14 months?  Nonetheless, the booger was caught with dog food in his mouth mulitple times.  He doesn't do that now at 23 months.  He likes to sit and take food out of the bowl and feed the dogs or just put it on the floor though. 

One up side, he has great hair and strong teeth & bones!  ;)
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."