Author Topic: Weird Question re:cattail reed roots  (Read 3102 times)

Offline zanie

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Weird Question re:cattail reed roots
« on: July 19, 2006, 09:59:56 am »
So we went to the dog park yesterday after work.  Dell LOVE, LOVE, LOVEs this park because it has 4 ponds in it where he can dig up and eat the cattail roots that have been stewing in the murky water.  They smell gross, they look gross, he ends up smelling gross. :-X

My question is: they are really fiberous and stringy.  Will these harm him or cause blockage in his tummy or intestines? 

We won't go back to that park because I'm concerned about his injesting the roots.  Anyone have any experience with this?

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner

Seattle, WA

Nicole

Re: Weird Question re:cattail reed roots
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 10:05:57 am »
Ok, in no way am I an expert on this! hahaha!

BUT..I've seen my dogs pass a lot worse than roots! No, they can't digest the cellulose (the fibrous stringy stuff), but I think it comes out pretty well.

The thing you should probably be more worried about are cyanobacteria that are in ponds. If you see a scum on the pond, do NOT let your dog swim there! The bacteria can be deadly!!!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 10:09:20 am »
I have no idea about cattail roots, but here at the cabin we have a path that goes down to the lake that is covered in redwood chips (natural...not stained, etc.) and the Newfs adore munching on them.  Since I can't seem to break them of grabbing a snack, I've just watched to see if they've had any stomach trouble and am happy to report, it doesn't seem to affect them at all.  Can we just talk about trying to pick up the poo, though?  It's disguised as wood chips!!! AGHHHH! :P

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 10:16:21 am »
Just wanted to post the link to the original thread that I made about the pond scum. There is lots more info in that thread.

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,9519.0.html

Offline zanie

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 10:18:22 am »
Ok, in no way am I an expert on this! hahaha!

BUT..I've seen my dogs pass a lot worse than roots! No, they can't digest the cellulose (the fibrous stringy stuff), but I think it comes out pretty well.

The thing you should probably be more worried about are cyanobacteria that are in ponds. If you see a scum on the pond, do NOT let your dog swim there! The bacteria can be deadly!!!

Nope, no scum on the pond.  If there was, we wouldn't be going there.  Thanks for the reply.
"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner

Seattle, WA

Offline zanie

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 10:23:16 am »
I have no idea about cattail roots, but here at the cabin we have a path that goes down to the lake that is covered in redwood chips (natural...not stained, etc.) and the Newfs adore munching on them.  Since I can't seem to break them of grabbing a snack, I've just watched to see if they've had any stomach trouble and am happy to report, it doesn't seem to affect them at all.  Can we just talk about trying to pick up the poo, though?  It's disguised as wood chips!!! AGHHHH! :P

LOL...thank you for the delightful image!  I'll never look at wood chips the same way again! :D

For the past couple of weeks Hubby has been doing woodworking in the driveway.  Dell would hang around and catch the cut pieces of wood as the fell off the saw table and steal them.  He would also lick the sawdust off the ground!  Weirdo dog! Cattails and sawdust. 

Seattle, WA