Author Topic: Sad news...Badger needs another surgery :(  (Read 11274 times)

doggylover

Sad news...Badger needs another surgery :(
« on: July 19, 2006, 05:33:56 pm »
Badger's vet exam was today.  We took him to the same doctor who did the first TPLO (on his rear right leg) surgery because he is now limping on his rear left leg.  The last surgery was very hard on all of us.  The leg had to be amputated and rotated 16 degrees, flattened, then reattached.

Badger had a terrible reaction to the narcotics.  They made him anxious and he was terrified.  The pain was really bad.  We had to walk him on a sling for 3 months.

I wanted to do this surgery next Monday so that he doesn't have to suffer on that leg for any longer than need be, but David wouldn't hear of it.  He said that he is worried Badger could die from heat stroke if he is weak from surgery.  We have a few weeks of bad heat coming up in our area.  Portland's worst (hottest) weather is now through the 2nd week of August.  Right now they are predicting 100 plus degrees.  We don't have air conditioning. 

The surgeon is the best on the west coast, and he agreed that it is better with such a large dog to wait until the weather cools, so I have to watch my baby suffer for a full month.  The surgery is set for August 18th. 

I am scared for my baby.  Last time, they found a tumor in his throat and we had to wait a week to find out it wasn't cancer. 

As many of you have probably already figured out, I am a bit overly dramatic, and I don't handle things like this very well.  I'm already scared that he will die in surgery. 

Poor Pookie. 
 :'(   

bigdogs@5501

Re: Sad news...Badger needs another surgery :(
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 05:47:05 pm »
You are not over dramatic, you love your baby. Good luck on the surgery and hopefully this one wont be as bad as the first one.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 05:47:27 pm »
I'm so sorry about Pookie!  What awful news!  I hate it when our beloved puppers have to go under the knife.

You know you can whine, cry and rant here and we'll give you all the sympathy you need.  I don't think you are a drama queen when it comes to your dogs (cuz then I'd be one too!! ::)  I completely understand how you feel!!!

doggylover

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 05:50:35 pm »
Thanks guys...yeah I guess I'm really only a drama queen when it comes to dog stuff.  I get very emotional about my babies. 
Thanks for reminding me that I can vent, cry, and whine here...I'm sure there will be PLENTY of that as the surgery date gets closer. 
 :-\

I was picking at my fingers on the drive home, making them bleed (this is what I do when I'm really worried) and hubby said, "STOP, Badger's gonna think we're having him put to sleep!"
LOL good perspective!

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 05:57:13 pm »
Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear Badger has to have another surgery!  We'll be thinking of you all...I'm sure Badger will come through with flying colors!

We're always here for you at BPO! :)

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 06:20:23 pm »
Poor Badger :-*
I hope everything works out for him. Dogs handle surgeries way better then people do. Pookie is very lucky to have you for his Mommy. My sympathy goes out to you and Tealk sends drooly kisses.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 06:21:03 pm »
I don't think you are being dramatic to be worried about your baby!...we worry because we love them so much...I am just glad that Badger is your baby & didn't end up with someone who wouldn't spend the time, effort & money that is needed...I do think ti's best to wait until the weather cools...It will not only be easier on Badger but on you & David too!...As you know I have grown very fond of Badger I I wish he didn't have to go through this...It really makes me sad...Poor Pookie is right!...You can count on me sending many many prayers that all goes smoothly & that he is healed & well in no time flat...You can also count on me to be here for you if you need to talk to someone who truly cares...I will p.m. you my phone number as I have no idea what I did with yours...I am not an organized person...Sorry!  ((((((((((Rhonda & Badger))))))))))

doggylover

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 06:27:00 pm »
Thanks you guys... this means so much!

On a lighter note, this vet office calls Badger 'Monster dog' because from the time he comes in, till he leaves, he grumbles...it is a scary thing. Everyone at the office knows this, and they pretty much ignore his grumping, not taking it seriously at all. 
We told the vet about how our new puppy is biting his face constantly and how he won't do anything to correct her, except growl.  Growling with no follow up only worked for about 20 minutes, now she doesn't take his threats seriously. 
The vet got down on the floor with Badger and said, "see Monster, this is what happens when you talk constantly...i f you talk too much, nobody listens to you at all!"  to which Badger replied, "grrrrrrrrr". 
 ::)

DakotaMom

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 06:43:50 pm »
I feel so special meeting Badger and he didn't grumble at me.

I'm so sorry to hear this Ronda. I will keep you guys in my prayers for a speedy recovery.

We will have to get together bofore his surgery so he can have a little fun. Please give that sweet boy a hug from me.

doggylover

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 06:47:34 pm »
I feel so special meeting Badger and he didn't grumble at me.

I'm so sorry to hear this Ronda. I will keep you guys in my prayers for a speedy recovery.

We will have to get together bofore his surgery so he can have a little fun. Please give that sweet boy a hug from me.
LOL yeah, he didn't!  He must really really like you!  Yeah, I definately want to get them together again soon, so he can have FUN!  Wait is this like when people go to Disneyland as a last wish?   :o :-\ :'(

DakotaMom

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 06:51:17 pm »
Don't even think that way Ronda. You know what to expect as far as the pain meds so at least you won't have to deal with that again.

Did you get his crate set up yet?

doggylover

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 07:01:07 pm »
Don't even think that way Ronda. You know what to expect as far as the pain meds so at least you won't have to deal with that again.

Did you get his crate set up yet?
LOLOL I was too embarresed to tell even you guys this, but no, we didn't bring the crate in.  David was adamant that Badger not have a crate 'like the little dog'...even after my explaining the 'den' thing to him.  I told him that Badger needs a Gossyfree zone, and we compromised. 

Badger now has an extra thick twin size orthopedic (VERY expensive) mattress on the floor, taking up a huge part of the living room, which Gossy is not allowed on.  Badger gets his 'safe place' and he is feeling like quite the spoiled 'king of the hill'.  It will also work well for his surgery recuperation. 

doggylover

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 07:10:04 pm »
Badger lounging on his big boy bed...
The living room has been totally taken over by dogs.

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 07:27:06 pm »
Badger looks very comfy on his new bed!!  I am so sorry Badger needs surgery.  I totally understand how you worry about your babies - I think most of us on this site feel the same way.  Hoping the weather chills out for you soon so even though the surgery is in August you will all be more comfortable.

Badger, we will be keeping everything crossed for you!!

Randy & Harley

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 07:40:15 pm »
Badger looks so comfortable... does he even feel the pea under the mattress???   He IS the  prince!!

We went through a similar event when Otis had his total hip replacement when he was a year old, and we had just brought Lucille home (she was 12 weeks).  It was a special challenge to take him out to pee with his belly band and handle and keep her away from him. 

You have all my thoughts, prayers and hugs to help get you through this...remembe r:  think positive - they can read minds!! ;)  Badger will be grand; it's YOU I'm worried about!!! :-* :-*