Author Topic: Bear and the other Downtown LA dogs need your Help!!  (Read 12085 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Bear and the other Downtown LA dogs need your Help!!
« on: July 21, 2006, 09:45:24 am »
Well, the time has come for us to ask you all for you help in combating a problem we have encountered here in downtown LA.  >:( It seems as though the only park in the area (and the only place with grass for that matter) which is across the street from our building is closed to the public. Nobody can seem to give us a clear reason for the shut down and it seems that the police blame the vagrants, the security guards blame the cops and the park board/directors blame the cop & security guards.

Therefore, it is time to step up nd help our fellow dog owners to get back the land that is legally ours! The signs posted in the park say that dogs can go there with leashes and that owners must clean up the pop...duh!  ::)

Here is where you all come in...we need your help to reach those that can make the changes for us to get our park back.
I think that emailing them as often as possible should shed some new light on this subject and i promise to update you on our progress here as the "Lofters" are starting a petition in all buildings surrounding the park.

Email: 
#1: Councilwoman Jan Perry at councilmember. perry@lacity.org

#2: Louise Capone, Senior Recreation Director I at
    pershing.squar e@lacity.org

#3: LA Parks & Recreations Department at
    linda.barth@lacity.org

Below is a quote from a blog which demonstrates the idiocy of this closing:
"I have seen much about the big police station/park controversy. what happened? Did everyone open their respective eyes and notice Pershing Square? I do not know if we should even have another park here in downtown. You see in Pershing Square ther has appearantly been some HUGE CRIME. WOW!! All that yellow crime scene tape. LOL No, seriously laugh out loud. In questioming the private security guard on duty on public property, i was informed of a crime that has taken place, and ther is an ongoing investigation. That is a good one. After a short conversation, I became thirsty and needed to wash my hands. The said crime, required the shutting down of water fountains and restrooms and quite a bit of sitting space to include the grass. So no water for me and certainly no washing of my hands."
More on this and other related stories can be found at: http://blogdowntown.com/blog/2273#c5306

Also, here are two pictures of the park. One with the police tape and one showing the areas of the park we can't legally get to anymore.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Gypsy Jazmine

Re: Bear and the other Downtown LA dogs need your Help!!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 09:56:27 am »
That would totally stink!...As soon as I finish my coffee & can string together at least 2 intelliegent thoughts :D I will e-mail the powers that be...Poor Bear Cub & poor you!

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 10:27:55 am »
Hello everyone.. this does stink and as Jaime said, everyone blames someone else. The downtownla blog comment section actually states the policy used to lock it down and it has long been expired. This is really plain idiocy and illegal.

doggylover

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 11:11:03 am »
This suxes.  Here in Vancouver, we had two dog parks; if you count 5 acres of dirt with a cyclone fence around it and NO trees a 'park'. 
In spite of the horrid conditions, both parks were busy from sun up to sun down.  Literally every day, all day, you could go to these two parks and find at least 30 people with their doggers.  People mostly got along, and mostly cleaned up the poo. 
The 'family' parks where dogs are not allowed, are empty.  All the time.  Occasionally you'll see a mother with a toddler playing in one, but usually that isn't even the case.  These 'family' parks are lush.  Grass everywhere, picnic benches, trees galore, water fountains...yo u name it, it's there.  And yet, these parks sit empty and unused. 
I can't seem to figure out in what way MY tax dollars, as a big paw owner, amount to less than other people's tax dollars.  We big paw owners are really the only people who want to take full advantage of the parks, we pay our taxes, and we are deprived of the use of OUR parks. 
Our government doesn't own the parks/waterways/forests. WE the PEOPLE own these areas.  We pay for them with OUR tax dollars. 
This issue gets me so riled up. 

doggylover

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 11:20:40 am »
I sent emails to all three people.  I hope everyone here does the same. 

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 03:18:37 pm »
Besides sending emails, let's all of us here in SoCal call up the local TV stations and ask them if they know why Pershing Square Park has been illegally closed for months! Most of them have 3 hours of "local news" coverage every day--maybe they'll do an investigation if they get a BUNCH of call from 'concerned citizens' who have discovered the problem due to a friend moving into the area... ;)  ;)
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 08:39:25 pm »
let's all of us here in SoCal call up the local TV stations
That's a good idea. Here in Boston, every channel has a staff member who does investigations to help solve issues from people who call in - one is called "help me hank" and I know there are a few others. Do you have any news personalities like those in LA?
RIP former BPO

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 07:55:34 am »
We do have people in the LA area that do things like that but the problem is that nobody really cares. One person can't make a difference so it is up to us to make the change happen. You know what they say, there is strength in numbers! So please, please email the heck out of these people! ;)
Hugs,
Jaime

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 10:21:20 pm »
*bump bump*
Hugs,
Jaime

Offline two dogs in la

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 03:31:49 pm »
Just found this on google as I searched. I too sent emails to all of the contacts. I really hope to hear from them! This is not right.

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 06:51:42 am »
Getting to the bottom of the page.....  Bump!
Daphne

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 07:26:28 am »
Great news everyone! Our complaints and emails are reaching someone! The areas on the side of the park have had the tape removed and the caution tape on the grass as been replaced with a much nicer looking white chain. BPOers have once again made change happen.

So....now we must continue to badger them until the grass is a free area too. So far the only somewhat decent answer we have gotten for the grass closure is that they are "trying to preserve the grass". What?!  ??? Isn't grass made for the enjoyment of peoples feet to walk on and sit on? Duh!!

Please, please continue to badger them until we get the small patch of grass that is rightfully ours.
Hugs,
Jaime

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 07:48:23 am »
Great news everyone! Our complaints and emails are reaching someone! The areas on the side of the park have had the tape removed and the caution tape on the grass as been replaced with a much nicer looking white chain. BPOers have once again made change happen.

So....now we must continue to badger them until the grass is a free area too. So far the only somewhat decent answer we have gotten for the grass closure is that they are "trying to preserve the grass". What?!  ??? Isn't grass made for the enjoyment of peoples feet to walk on and sit on? Duh!!

Please, please continue to badger them until we get the small patch of grass that is rightfully ours.
I'll send anothe round of e-mails after I am fully awake this morning...I am no good without my 1 cup of coffee!...I am happy to do it too...I can't imagine having a dog there & not having the park accessible!

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 11:27:17 am »
I recieved two replies this morning...The 1st said they needed my full name & address to further address my concerns & then I just received this one which I copied from my e-mail box...So I fudged a little & conveyed that I actually live there. ::) ;D

Thank you for your interest in Pershing Square Michelle. We hope to have
all sections of the park open and available to the community soon.
Louise Capone
Sr. Recreation Director I

>>> "MICHELLE KAY" <gypsy_jazmine@msn.com> 07/25 8:06 AM >>>
We are wondering when all areas of Pershing Square will be
opened?...Parts of the park being closed really causes a hardship for
those of us with dogs in downtown LA...Is there a time frame you can
give us?...Thank you!
Michelle L. Kay