Author Topic: fading  (Read 4505 times)

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
fading
« on: July 20, 2006, 12:29:14 pm »
During the day my daughter is in and out of the backyard playing in the sprinkler or digging for doodle bugs and Tonka is in and out with her all day.  I have been noticing that his fur, only on his back, is fading.  I have tried sunscreen and it is not helping.  The fur on his head and legs is beautiful and shiny black and now his back is dull faded.   :-\  Darn this desert sun!!
Is there anything I can do to protect it aside from limiting his outside time to potty breaks?  And is there any suggestions for restoring his coat back to shiny and beautiful? ???
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: fading
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 10:06:53 pm »
I think I remember seeing something in a Drs. Foster and Smith catalog for keeping the coat from fading.  I think it was like a shampoo type.  But I can't remember.  I'm sorry that I'm not more help.  Maybe check with a groomer.  I know they make the whitening shampoo so maybe a groomer could tell you.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 11:16:16 pm »
I have googled and I can't find any help there, I think I will talk to a groomer...duh!  It's always the most obvious solution that I can't seem to think of!
  Thanks for the response!
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 11:18:42 pm »
Fading coats do happen.  Chester's breeder told me to go to the ethnic hair section at Walgreens and look for products to protect hair color.  In our neck of the woods, the choices were pretty limited but I did find a product at a beauty supply store.  Hope it helps!!!

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 11:40:55 pm »
Fading coats do happen.  Chester's breeder told me to go to the ethnic hair section at Walgreens and look for products to protect hair color.  In our neck of the woods, the choices were pretty limited but I did find a product at a beauty supply store.  Hope it helps!!!

I was wondering about beauty products!  Like the color enhancing shampoos they sell that add color gradually.  I was thinking about trying one of those out, I would probably have to test a small area and make sure he didn't have a skin reaction.  HMMMMM....do you think it is a slippery slope when I start shopping high end beauty supplies for my dog?  :D
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 07:12:58 am »
I remember seeing some leave-in conditioner sprays that were supposed to protect your hair from "the harmful effects of the sun".  I wonder if those would help?

Edited to add: I'll bet the people at the beauty supply stores would be horrified if they knew their products were to be used on dogs! ;)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 07:13:54 am by Jessdryden »

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 09:05:46 am »
Unfortunately it happens to all animals. There are suppliments for horses to minimize the effects. Have you checked for dog supplements that may do the same? I wonder if the horse supplements could work? (Maybe not since they certainly have different digestive systems.)

Just something to look into though.

Deena

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 09:23:54 am »
 HMMMMM....do you think it is a slippery slope when I start shopping high end beauty supplies for my dog?

With all due respect, I think most of us here have slipped down to the bottom of that slope, are laying in a heap and have dogs running around us licking our wounds!!!

And I did tell the woman at the beauty supply store that the product was for my brown Newf puppy and that his breeder wanted him to maintain his warm chestnut brown coat and not to look like a bleached out, brassy, weathered old man who's seen too many cheap bars!  She looked at me like I was nuts.  Wonder why??

doggylover

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 09:19:52 pm »
HMMMMM....do you think it is a slippery slope when I start shopping high end beauty supplies for my dog?

With all due respect, I think most of us here have slipped down to the bottom of that slope, are laying in a heap and have dogs running around us licking our wounds!!!

And I did tell the woman at the beauty supply store that the product was for my brown Newf puppy and that his breeder wanted him to maintain his warm chestnut brown coat and not to look like a bleached out, brassy, weathered old man who's seen too many cheap bars!  She looked at me like I was nuts.  Wonder why??

Newflvr BWAHAHAHAHAHHA HAHHAHAHAHHAHA I'm so glad I'm not at the bottom of the slope all alone!

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 10:08:23 pm »

Newflvr BWAHAHAHAHAHHA HAHHAHAHAHHAHA I'm so glad I'm not at the bottom of the slope all alone!

LMAO!  I am going to tell the saleslady tomorrow just to see the look on her face!!
I am kind of a big deal!