Author Topic: should I take Annie  (Read 11139 times)

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
should I take Annie
« on: July 21, 2006, 09:35:41 pm »
I know a lot of you followed the story of Annie the merle dane (with Darwin) in TN who has Addisons disease.  Well I've been debating this for awhile and I talked to the guy that owns her today.  First off I don't understand why none of the rescues will take her and I can't stand the thought of her ending up in the pound or wherever when she has been through so much already.  If I get her meds for her Addisons from this website then they are do-able money wise.  I guess what I'm nervous about is what is she gets cancer again (which by the way he didn't tell me that she had had it), is it prone in danes to be reoccuring?  I know boxers have that tendency.  Some of my friends just want to make sure I'm not going to get heartbroken again.  I went through a lot with Navarre, but he was my baby and I'm well aware that I may only have her for a short time or I could have her for a few more years but at least she would be in a good home being spoiled along with Daphne.  My main fear is ending up in the hole again with vet bills, I'm finally seeing the glimmer at the end of the tunnel from Navarre!  But that's a fear with any dog right?

God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

doggylover

Re: should I take Annie
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 09:47:19 pm »
This is such a personal decision.  Everyone here can give you their perspectives, but at the end of the day, you have to follow your heart. 
You have to consider what you know about yourself in terms of how able you would be to handle it emotionally if Annie was more sick than you originally thought. 
If you choose to do this, we will ALL be right behind you with support and cheers!
 ;)   

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 09:55:51 pm »
It sounds to me like you have put alot of time into researching the best place to get meds for her and about her medical history.  If you still think you can offer her a good home for however long you will have her and you feel you can handle anything that comes along with her then you should adopt her.  Whatever your decision is I know everyone here will support you.     
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 10:06:19 pm »
Thanks ya'll!!  I know it's my decision, and I also know if I don't take her I'm going to feel like I let her down and I haven't even met her!!  I do think I'm going to call him again in the morning and talk to him some more about her medical history.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 10:13:03 pm »
Thanks ya'll!!  I know it's my decision, and I also know if I don't take her I'm going to feel like I let her down and I haven't even met her!!  I do think I'm going to call him again in the morning and talk to him some more about her medical history.
I hope all turns out well for you & Annie but, when you call her current owner tomorrow, please make sure that they are willing to supply her medical records so you can find out more about the status of her cancer...I am sending prayers for both you & Annie!

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 10:18:05 pm »
Yep, follow your heart!
If you are really thinking about this, I'm guessing that you are probably going to do it.  I know that if I even begin to consider everything and start thinking about what I would need to do, etc, I usually already know what I want.
I understand how you feel looking at her photo.  It was breaking my heart to think of Annie being just given up by her family.  I will never know how someone can do that.  Pets are family members and I can't just give up something like that.
Best of luck on your decision, and if you decide yes, remember, I am in your neck of the woods and will help out anyway that I can.
Tessie
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 10:18:26 pm »
yeah, I am going to ask for her medical records and the vet's name that has been taking care of her.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 08:49:10 am »
I have a lot of information on this dog. The reason why the rescues would not take her is because they are afraid that the stress of her going into rescue could cause her immunity to drop and therefore, the cancer could come back.

The owner of the dog has told some people that Annie has officially been cleared by a veterinarian to have no cancer now. You need to ask him for this documentation, because as far as I know no one else has seen it. He told me and some rescue groups that he treated her cancer at home with a nutritional approach that involved flax oil and cottage cheese. Go ahead and tell him you know about the cancer because Rebekah told you. He knows who I am. He needs to supply you with vet records from two different vets. I think I have their names somewhere. I can PM you some more info that I have.

If she came right onto your home, skipped the rescue or the pound, and went straight into a loving situation with great nutrition and upkeep on those meds, that would be the best case scenario for her immune system. That's the best chance she has. If she has to go into a foster home or a shelter, well, I'm worried.

But when I saw her a few weeks ago honestly she looked great.

Good luck with your decision... she is a sweet and beautiful dog.  :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 10:09:17 am by doghealer »

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 09:51:02 am »
That is a really tough decision, but I'm right around the corner if you ever need a hand.  Not to mention that my boys would love another big playmate :-) .
From my perspective, I took my 1st dane, Alexander, after he'd been recued at about 65lbs from heatworms, neglect and abuse.  The vet that rescued him cleared him of the heartwormms and patched him up as much as possible.  He was only with me for 9 months, before his heart gave out, and although that was one of the hardest things I've ever had to deal with, it was also one of the most incredible and rewarding experiences I've ever had.
Feel free to call me if you need an ear or sounding board... 402-0912.
Tom
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 04:59:40 pm »
Any news?

The shelter is telling callers that Annie will be dropped off there today... I really hope that is not the case! Danes do not do well in shelters for any amount of time...  :'( :'(

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 11:33:04 pm »
I left him a message today, unfortunately I had to work all day.  I told him I was a little nervous about the medical history and I wanted a copy of her records.  That I would take her and see how she got along here, but to keep her posting on petfinder for now if that's possible. That way she wouldn't have to go to a shelter or anything and she would be here where she would be spoiled beyond belief!!  I can handle the Addison meds, it's less than what Navarre was costing me, I'm just nervous about the whole cancer issue.  I told him to call me, let me know what he thought, haven't heard from him yet.  If she is in fact at the shelter I will drive up to Nashville on Tues and get her.

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2006, 02:12:36 pm »
I left him a message today, unfortunately I had to work all day.  I told him I was a little nervous about the medical history and I wanted a copy of her records.  That I would take her and see how she got along here, but to keep her posting on petfinder for now if that's possible. That way she wouldn't have to go to a shelter or anything and she would be here where she would be spoiled beyond belief!!  I can handle the Addison meds, it's less than what Navarre was costing me, I'm just nervous about the whole cancer issue.  I told him to call me, let me know what he thought, haven't heard from him yet.  If she is in fact at the shelter I will drive up to Nashville on Tues and get her.
YAYYYY!  I hope everything works out good for both Annie and you!  Keep us posted constantly!
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2006, 09:54:55 pm »
Well, the owner never returned my call yesterday or today.  Which I don't get cause he was so "distraught" about finding her a home.  So I guess I'll call the HS in the morning and see if they have her.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 02:00:06 pm »
Hmmm... if he were truly "distraught" about finding new homes for his dogs, he would have started looking earlier than three weeks before his move! >:(

Any news today on Annie?? :-[

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006, 04:13:09 pm »
Oh no, I just found out Annie is at the shelter... :'(

The owner had someone else do his dirty work and drop her off there. How sad is that.