Author Topic: More on Captain  (Read 4948 times)

SA_horses

More on Captain
« on: July 22, 2006, 05:15:21 pm »
Captain went to the vet again yesterday (Friday).  Although he will have his eardrops continued until Monday, he doesn't need any more antibiotics.  He also had blood drawn for thyroid testing.

Right now the plan is for him to be neutered on Tuesday and go out with the goats once the area is sufficiently healed.  We're expecting that to be by Friday or so.

Overall, he seems to be doing much better.  His appetite has improved, and as far as his behavior...let it suffice to say that this is not the same dog that we brought home a week and a half ago.  ;D  He is also showing interest in the goats when we take him out there.

HOWEVER, we are running into some very strange behavior from him.  Captain has started growling at my two brothers, first Gabriel (the younger of the two) and now Nicholas.  It is a very low growl, sometimes almost a wheezing sound.  I've half-wondered if this isn't a breathing problem, but it stops whenever the boys leave.  He doesn't look them in the eye like he is challenging them.  They will be standing off to the side, close by, when he sort of crouches but remains standing, and starts that low growl, occasionally sort of eyeing them without looking at them.  A little while ago when I observed this, he was trembling and wouldn't move at all until not only my brothers had left (at which time he stopped growling) but my father also.  It was very threatening, but in a different way than Leo's occasional show of food/dominance aggression or Sapphire's territorialnes s.

It is rather worrisome.  Does this sound like any kind of medical issue?

Thank you,
Sofia

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
Re: More on Captain
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 06:29:46 pm »
Please be careful!  This sounds like a rather serious fear (learned, not genetic) aggression issue to me.  Do you know his background?  Possible abuse?  Our Thor was a real problem around my older son (taller, darker hair, deeper voice than the younger son) until we got them to know each other well.  It took a lot of effort by DS to pet him, give him treats, not threatening, etc before he would accept him.  Thor had been badly abused pretty clearly by a male.  He NEVER fully trusted most men, though he did learn to accept some of them.  If a man showed any fear of him at all he would bump them and harass them.  Fortunately he never went beyond that but it was disconcerting.
Daphne

SA_horses

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 07:23:49 pm »
No, we don't know much about Captain's background, just about the past 6 or so months during which the person who sold him to us owned him.  Mother does, however, have some phone numbers now, and she plans to make some inquiries concerning his history.

Sofia

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 07:54:13 pm »
Sofia,

Until  you get this figured out, dont trust him for a minute.  It's easy for me to say that, Im not the one dealing with it.  But this form of posturing is not a good sign.  What ever causes him to be this way, wether it's poor genetics or abuse, it's not good.  When you check his history if there is any indication of previous biting your going to have to make some real hard decisions.  But it's too early for that at this point.  Keep us posted on him.  Good luck... Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 09:13:11 pm »
Sofia,

Until  you get this figured out, dont trust him for a minute.  It's easy for me to say that, Im not the one dealing with it.  But this form of posturing is not a good sign.  What ever causes him to be this way, wether it's poor genetics or abuse, it's not good.  When you check his history if there is any indication of previous biting your going to have to make some real hard decisions.  But it's too early for that at this point.  Keep us posted on him.  Good luck... Jackie
I agree Jackie...Going through what I went through with Rosie has really made me realize that these kind of behaivors should be taken dead seriously...Es pecially if the background of the dog is unknown.
Sofia, I hope all works out for Captain with your family...He has been through so much...poor guy!...I will keep you all in my throughts & prayers.

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 11:17:45 pm »
How old is he and how old are your brothers?  My GSD did similar behavior to my ex-boyfriend's son whenever he would enter the room.  Although it was usually if Navarre was laying down he would do the low growl.  He use to show his butt too, but when he reached about 3 1/2-4 it was like a light bulb went off in his head.

However during his butthead years I had different vets and trainers tell me that he definitely needed to know that I was the alpha.  And that whenever he did that, the reaction is that the other people go away and leave him alone....exact ly what he wants to happen, so that is just reinforceing the behavior.  When he does this to whomever he does it too let him know that it is not tolerated and when he is behaving, or when he stops growling at them, then have your brothers praise him with either treats or petting.  They should be praising him often when he's doing good things, or nothing, if he's laying there being a calm quiet boy tell him he's being good, give him some love.  But definitely be aware of his body language around them and other people.   Good Luck
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

SA_horses

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 08:26:02 am »
Navarre, Captain is almost seven.  He started this 9 days after coming here, on Thursday.  Let's see if I can get this straight.

It started with Gabriel, who is 7 yrs.  That has been consistent until this morning; Gabriel walked by the kennel and Captain came up to the front, wagging his tail.  ???

Friday morning, he growled at the vet during part of the examination, something he hadn't done a week earlier.

With Nicholas (13 yrs.), he growled twice, once Friday evening and again Saturday morning.

Captain seems to be okay with my father, no growling, but he isn't comfortable either.  (See the first post in this thread.)

Sofia

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 11:24:25 pm »
bump..How is Captain doing today?

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 07:38:31 am »
Captain seems to be doing better. He has more energy, and tail wags. He still growls at Gabriel, but at no one else, and not all the time. He cries when in the kennel off/on. It's more of a cry of pain though. The thyroid panel results should be available this afternoon, so we'll see.

Sofia or I will post later today.

Deena

SA_horses

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 01:47:33 pm »
The vet just called.  Captain does indeed have hypothyroidism ...   :(

This explains some things as far as his condition.  Maybe he doesn't have fear aggression issues after all?  What do you all think?

Sofia

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 02:37:02 pm »
At least it's something you can work with.  Do some research on it so you will know and understand this condition and know what to expect.  Meds should help take care of the aggression.  Do you need links on this issue?

Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

SA_horses

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 03:25:38 pm »
Do you need links on this issue?

Yes, please, Ms. Woods.  We would appreciate any links that you have.

Also, in your opinion, is this going to affect his usefulness as a working dog?

Thank you so much!

Sofia

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 04:51:51 pm »
Sofia, I don't know alot about the condition...If you don't mind I am going to start a thread asking for input from people who do...I am sure someone here has persoanlly dealt with this before & can give you better insight than I...But, like Jackie said, it will give you at least something to work with. :)
I will continue to send prayers for Captain.