Author Topic: Thanks For Being Here!  (Read 12152 times)

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Thanks For Being Here!
« on: June 09, 2005, 02:13:38 pm »
Hey everyone,

Earlier today I posted the below picture of my dog Cabo, (who I lost in March of last year) on a different thread and it got me thinking.  When I finally had to have him put to sleep (he was almost 14 and had been very sick for quite some time, plus had just developed a cancerous toenail that wouldn't heal), I thought I would die myself.  That dog was my baby, and I have never dealt with that has ever been more difficult to deal with (including my own bout with cancer). I still can't say that I am over his death, and in some ways I never will be...  

So, the point of this is not to bring everybody down!   ;)  It is just to say that I am so happy that somewhere like this exists.  If I had been able to come here while I was going through all that I went through with him, it would have helped so much.  Even now, it helps so much just to have somewhere to come and be able to say how much I miss him and have you guys understand.  

I guess I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for being around.
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks For Being Here!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 02:18:58 pm »
We love you..... And one thing you can count on here, is that we do understand all of us are so alike, we all love our babies and they are a part of our family.

I just looked at the statistics again, and to see what has happened with this site since it started really tells just how good it is, and how at home we all feel here. Gosh..... I got my friends on here, I love it here

marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 03:51:02 pm »
That gives me a great idea (at least I think it's great). Why not start a "Memorials" thread where people can post pix of their dogs who have tread across the rainbow bridge and offer stories, poems, etc. about them.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 04:32:34 pm »
It is very comforting to come on here and know that everyone here feesl the same way about our pooches. :)  I have never lost a pet of my own but I know that when that time comes everyone here will help me through it :)  I don't have many people to turn to that feel as strongly about their dogs as everyone here does about theirs, it is truly great ;D

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 04:38:20 pm »
Okay, tears here!  It's good to know that there are others who feel like they have died when their pup goes!  I lost two Newfs last  year and I'm still aching for them.  I don't know if I could participate in a memorial site...it's just too sad to know that they are not with me!  They were only three!!! 

Thanks for understanding!

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 04:41:57 pm »
Maybe its too painful to talk about it but what happened to your newfs?  They were so young.  If you don't want to share I understand :)

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 06:45:10 pm »
And I cannot express enough how there have been times in my life where, if it weren't for my relationship with my dogs, I have felt nothing is worthwhile.  I do not feel that way now, but there have definitely been times and then I thought, "I can't let them down...of all the reasons in the world to keep going...they are it!"

For some of us, I think our relationship with dogs is a kind of "fierce" attachment.  I, for one, begin reeling through space during the grieving process.  On the outside everyone says they see a so-called independent, strong woman, but I really FEAR the day that I lose a dog.  I can see myself crying, and I am not a tear-shedder, at work in front of everyone for days and days.  They will think I've lost a closest loved-one....because, when the day comes, I have.  :-[
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 07:58:16 pm »
 what happened to your newfs?  They were so young

They were SO young and so much a part of my life!  I literally took them everywhere.  Otis, my big handsome
Newf was a HUGE boy....about 34 inches at the shoulder (his dad was the Newf in "Hanging Up", Walter Mattau's last movie and Pappie was 165.)  Otis was born without a hip socket and severe dyplasia on his "good" side.  We did a total hip replacement at a year (NO choice) and he was good for about 2 1/2 years.  His rear end started quivering and there was some thought that his spine was collapsing  I think maybe he was just too big!  He got in to snail bait, though, which is very treatable but because of his spinal problems, he started seizing and it couldn't be stopped.  Lucille, my "little bitch" diied six months later (in Oct.) as a result of her immunizations.  The actual name is "immune mediated thrombocytopen ia" .  She started bleeding from everywhere about two weeks after her shots....ears, surface of tongue, under her skin, gut, etc.  She was on an assortment of steriods and immune blockers and she actually died when a fungus attacked her heart.  DAMN!!!  MORE TEARS HERE!!!!   I have my two boys with me now...Cowboy (with epilepsy) and Chester-the-Puppy who is 100% healthy at this point!!!  Fingers firmly crossed and prayers said!!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 08:12:08 pm »
Everytime I hug and kiss Dixie and Sugar Bear a little part of me is hugging and kissing Rosie (lost last summer).  Even with all of the pain from the lost of my dear sweet girl, I would feel the pain over 100 times just to hold her again. The best thing for me was to get Sugar Bear and know that even though the hurt I was feeling that he needed the best I could give.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 08:58:30 pm »
Before I got online & joined a couple of cat groups, (I didn't have a dog then.) I felt like the nut everyone said I was with all of the cats I had...Thank God for places like this where people understand!...Only trouble is after I decided it was o.k. to be me I added a few more cats, 2 guinea pigs, 2 house bunnies, & Samson...Someo ne tell em when it's o.k. to stop!...lol..j/k!...I am at critter saturation except for the puppy we'll probably get Samson! ;)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 09:04:51 pm »
You cant stop before Samson has his play pal.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Nicole

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005, 09:39:41 pm »
Aw, man, you guys!!! This is sad! I lost my Pit Bull Bo a few months ago...he was seized and euthanized by animal control. (Long story.........) It is still so painful sometimes. ha! Last weekend, we had a cook-out, and a friend brought his Pit over, and after I had a few beers in me, the mere sight of that dog sent me into a crying fit. I was like, "I. Miss. Bo. AAAAAAAGH!" That dog went everywhere with me, too. I'll post a pic of him sometime.....

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005, 09:41:51 pm »
newflvr, that is one of the sadest stories I have hever heard, I cried when I read it, first all the horrible things you had to go through with the hips (born without hip socket it sooooo uncommon) then another horrible and uncommon thing with your girl I sooooo feel for you  :'( Loosing two in such a short time, and to such unreal circumstances must be too much to coop with. All I can say is that, it is still rather new, and even if you'll never get over it, it will get easier to live with. I totally understand if you cant yet participate  in a memorial site if we get one. But maybe you will after awhile, maybe sharing your wonderful babies with everyone here and let us know just how great and wonderful they were will somehow make it easier. If it is not too painful I would reall love to see a pic of them. Thinking of you

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005, 09:56:11 pm »
Marit, you are SO kind!  Otis and Lucille are still in my bedroom on the bookshelf with their collars.  The only thing I can think about when I look at them is that when it's my time, I KNOW they'll be there waiting for me on the trail like they always did....looking back over their shoulder and their tails gently wagging!

Last year WAS the worst!  At one point after Otis died, Lucille was in one hospital and we had just rescued Cowboy and he was in another hospital and the docs. couldn't get his seizures under control.  I really thought that I would NEVER EVER have another dog....because I was just bad karma for them.  I still freak out with Chester....sca red to death that I'm going to do something wrong!  My Akita lived to be 13, Springer 10, German Shepard 12, varrious cats FOREVER.  It's just the Newfs!

Thanks for letting me vent!  I'll send Otis and Lucille's pic seperately.  Somehow when I try to attach a pic, anymore, it says I'm over the file size.....

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2005, 09:56:35 pm »
Nicole, That's so sad! :'(  I was tore up for weeks when we lost out 1st guinea pig...I swore i could still feel her sitting on my shoulder & playing in my hair...Come to think of it I DID!...Nobody will ever convince me different!...My hubby actually dug up Applesauce's ( the g.p.'s) remains & a kitten we lost named Angel when we moved to our home & made me a beatiful resting place for my fur babies complete with a white picket fence....Hubby says about when Samson passes on, "That's gonna be a bad one."