Author Topic: Anyone know about hypothyroidism in dogs? for SA horses  (Read 3088 times)

Gypsy Jazmine

Anyone know about hypothyroidism in dogs? for SA horses
« on: July 24, 2006, 05:00:59 pm »
Does anyone have any knowlege about Hypothyroidism in dogs as pertaining to their behaivor?...Anything about the treatment or outcomes?...Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 07:51:09 pm by Gypsy Jazmine »

Kiahpyr

Re: Anyone know about hypothyroidism in dogs? for S.A. Horses
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 06:29:25 pm »

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 06:43:32 pm »
Here is a thread that we had not to long ago.  I hope it helps you out.  There are a lot of good links in it.

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,11010.0.html
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

SA_horses

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 07:03:39 pm »
Thank you for the references, KFC and Tajsa.  :)

Mrs. Kay, it was very kind of you to start this thread.

Sofia

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
Re: Anyone know about hypothyroidism in dogs? for SA horses
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 06:42:57 am »
Wow!  I only glanced through that article but it was certainly eye opening :o  There are still a bunch of big questions left - whether or not this is what is causing Captain's behavior, whether or not you feel comfortable working through this with your kids in the house, and whether or not you feel comfortable trying to live with this for the rest of his life.  Decisions like this are a lot easier when the lives of our kids are not at stake.   
Daphne

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know about hypothyroidism in dogs? for SA horses
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 08:23:58 am »
Wow!  I only glanced through that article but it was certainly eye opening :o  There are still a bunch of big questions left - whether or not this is what is causing Captain's behavior, whether or not you feel comfortable working through this with your kids in the house, and whether or not you feel comfortable trying to live with this for the rest of his life.  Decisions like this are a lot easier when the lives of our kids are not at stake.   

Yes, you are right. Also, due to his infection, condition, etc. the vet does not/did not want him out in the pasture. This is a big no no for working dogs, as you know, especially when moving to a new place. However, better to have the dog survive the ordeal. So, we have a lot to deal with.

This has been a mess since we picked him up. I had been in contact with the breeder for 4 months before we purchased Captain. We were "told" that Captain was her male used for breeding and to assist in training the puppies to work with goats. The breeder's mother had Altzheimer's so she was selling off most of her goats and dogs. What she failed to tell me, until after I had paid her and was loading him in the Excursion, was that she had only had him until last Dec. She purchased him from an elderly man in AL. (Captain, his mate, and 6 of their puppies.) The man had never vaccinated any of the dogs or puppies. Captain was Heartworm positive so treated and now clear. He was an excellent LGD. She also told me that she had used this dog to breed twice to the 2 bitches she was keeping. She had his OFA certification, etc. So, here we have a dog that under no circumstances should have been sold nor would we have purchased had we known in advance. How this dog was issued a health certificate for interstate transport is beyond my comprehension. (Our vet. won't issue a health certificate to us until his bloodwork indicates stability.)

So what are we going to do? We are sending the breeder a registered letter outlining his health problems, telling her that she needs to take him back and get him the treatment needed. He also should NOT be used for breeding dt a severe crossbite (which has severe wear on his teeth) and thyroid issues. While we are in the waiting mode to get a health certificate, we will work with him, however, it will take at least a week before we expect to see any changes with regards to aggression. We will also get in touch with his previous owner to attempt to get some sort of social hx and work hx as well.

Should the breeder not take him back, complaints will be filed in both states (AL and GA.) We will seek damages as well as his purchase price. She will lose. Captain, if his aggresion subsides, we will find a job and keep him. If it does not, sadly he will need to be placed in a rescue home with no children.

This is something that pulls at your heartstrings for sure. But, must be done. If anyone has any suggestions regarding evaluating, I'd appreciate it, as well as experience with working dogs with hypothyroid.

Thank you,
Deena