Author Topic: Dog Walk  (Read 1404 times)

bigdogs@5501

Dog Walk
« on: July 24, 2006, 07:40:40 pm »
I am in the North Texas area and have really wanted to organize a dog walk to raise money for either big dogs in need or a spay and neuter program- Does any one have any experience in organizing anything like this or have any suggestions? There are so many dogs out there that are in need or if one unwanted pregnancy could be prevented, it would be worth everything that I could put into the fund raiser- Any suggestions are appreciated.

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Walk
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 10:08:16 pm »
I've really wanted to do this in my community too so I will be ready to hear any info everyone else gives you too. Sorry I don't have any info to help!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 10:35:05 pm »
I am in the North Texas area and have really wanted to organize a dog walk to raise money for either big dogs in need or a spay and neuter program- Does any one have any experience in organizing anything like this or have any suggestions? There are so many dogs out there that are in need or if one unwanted pregnancy could be prevented, it would be worth everything that I could put into the fund raiser- Any suggestions are appreciated.
I do not have any experience organizing such an event but we do have a yearly "Strut Your Mutt" sponsered by the nearest HS that we've participated in...They start the event at a large park & have a cookout, live band (music donated) & fun events like the "Radar Run" where someone with a radar gun (I believe a policeman donating his time) clocks your dog on radar as he or she runs  straight line defined on each side by simple orange construction type fencing...One person lets the dog loose & one is at the end to meet it...They also have a simple agility coarse for your dog to run...The walk starts at the park & ends at the park & you can have people sponser you for the walk to raise $ or you can just donate $ to help the HS...All dogs are checked for current vaccinations at the registration table where a goody bag is handed out with goodies donated by local merchants...Th ere is a donated prize to the top 3 money raisers.

I hope this helps & good luck organizing your event! :)

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 10:48:15 pm »
Also check with your city council or county somebody (can't think of it right now!!)  because depending on where you have it, you may need permission or just get somekind of permit.  I know some walks are done at a local schools track and that way you'd just have to get the schools permission.  I know at Auburn Univ. the vet school had a catch and release program for that county where they catch the feral cats and they literally have an assembly line of volunteers and Dr.'s neutering the cats!  And then they are released back to where they were!  If there is a local vet school I'd find out if they are doing something like this.  Good Luck
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix