Author Topic: Need some advice.  (Read 2635 times)

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Need some advice.
« on: July 24, 2006, 10:23:19 pm »
Not too long ago, a very good topic was brought up about who would your animals go to if something should happen to you. Well, I've got that question halfway answered. My cats could go to a friend of mine, no problem. However, my big dogs are a bigger problem. I am fairly certain that Dolly's breeder would take her back, but not Zoey. They didn't sound too impressed that we had a Malamute when we got Dolly. None of our friends or family want 2 big dogs. And I don't have the contact info for Zoey's breeder. And while it's unlikely that something would happen to me and my parents, I want the dogs to have a plan of where to go just in case. So what should my next step be in finding a good place for them to go? Should I talk to a rescue or a humane society? That would be a good way that they only went to good homes. And I don't want them separated. I don't think that's best for them. So I need some input. Where should I go from here?
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Re: Need some advice.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 02:38:56 pm »
It would be rare to find anyone who would be capable or want to take in two or more large dogs.  I have given into the fact that Rocco and Maia would be seperated if anything was to happen to me.  Rocco would go join my brother and his family and their 3 large dogs.  Maia would stay with my cousin who is my roommate since they are bonded at the hip.  Both dogs would have an adjustment period after being seperated from me and each other.  I like to believe my friends and family know how much my dogs mean to me so they would take care of them in honor of my memory.  Plus I have provided for their care financially if anything happens to me.

I'm sure someone would take over anyone else's dogs in a time of need.  There has to be at least one lurking out there plotting the kidnap of your dogs as we speak anyway.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 03:35:37 pm »
I'm glad that your family will take good care of your dogs. But none of my family members or friends want even 1 big dog, let alone 2 of them! If I were to select a specific breed rescue to find homes for them in case of an emergency, do you think they would take them both? For example, there is a nearby Saint Bernard rescue, but the Malamute one is quite a ways away.
Marissa

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 07:05:12 pm »
I don't know if this will help you any but I know there is a breed specific rescue in Dallas that will take dogs that need to stay together.  It's actually a German Shepherd rescue but they have a (I think) American Bulldog and a Black mouth Cur that are bonded.  It says on their bios that they have to stay together.  So it should be possible to find a rescue that would take both your girls and find a good home for them. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 08:29:58 pm »
Oh, that's very sweet. Believe me, if something happens, you guys will all be among the first to know. I'm going to make contact with some rescues for info about this. I know it's very unlikely, but I believe a plan would be necessary just in case.
Marissa