Author Topic: Eider is a traitor!  (Read 5218 times)

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
Eider is a traitor!
« on: July 25, 2006, 07:57:23 pm »
Thor was my walking companion but when he died, there was no one to walk with but Eider who is DH's dog.  I reluctantly started working with him to see how he'd do as a walking companion.  Then we ended up getting Carter and Katie so I didn't really need to power walk Eider any more.  I still walked him, just not on the road.  He's a Lab and thinks he needs to sniff EVERYTHING.  He is much better to walk in the fields - I would meander, he would run all over the place sniffing.  Some days I almost levitate walking Carter and Katie so they certainly provided all the road work I needed. 

With the summer heat and my health difficulties, I haven't walked Eider in months.  DH has walked him or the kids have done it for me.  I've been feeling a bit better lately after some medication adjustments, DH has been working a lot and Eider was not getting walked as much so he was FULL OF IT!  I decided to go ahead and try 3 at once!  What was I thinking!  LOL!  I have to boogie to keep up with Carter and Katie's 200+ lb of dogginess!  How much more difficult could another 70 lb furbag be?  Plenty when it hasn't been walked on a leash in months!  Yeeeehaw!  It is pretty interesting.

Eider seems to like going with the big dogs.  He walked with me once last week, then again last night.  Tonight while I was standing next to DH he kept bumping ME, not DH!  He kept pointing toward the leash, trying to lead me to it.  Poor DH!  Eider is a traitor!  He thinks he should be a big dog.  When we walk, he wants to be right up against Carter.  Carter stands at least a foot higher than Eider.  Carter is white and fluffy.  Eider is slick black.  They could not be more opposite.  Eider even learned to lift his leg today.  The transformation to big dog is complete.  :P

I'm just hoping that with a little practice he'll get into the swing of the walking thing a little better.  I feel like I'm being pulled in 3 directions, probably because I am!  Eider sprained my thumb a few months ago and the healing is very slow.  It doesn't help when he goes spinning around to see what Katie is sniffing back behind me...  He pulled it about 3 times again tonight!  I should have learned with kids.  2 kids, 2 hands, mom is not outnumbered.  3 kids, 2 hands, mom is outnumbered.  Same applies to dogs.  Gotta keep life challenging.  No sense in it being dull.
Daphne

mjjensen

Re: Eider is a traitor!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 09:27:00 pm »
  Boy, your brave, all three at once. I can't imagine walking my three all together anymore. Individually they do OK, not perfect but OK, but put them together and add leashes and it's complete chaos. I'm hoping it gets better as they get older but it's going to take a lot work on my part.
  Is your husband upset that you've stolen Eider from him?

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 10:32:11 pm »
I know it can be a handful!...When Rosie was with us I often walked all 3 & when one thought to go a different  way than the rest of us it got tricky! :D

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 07:28:07 am »
  Is your husband upset that you've stolen Eider from him?

He was rather put out that Eider was begging for me last night BUT he was also tired so he really didn't want to walk anyway.  Eider did go and lay with him on the couch last night when we got back so he's obviously an opportunist. ::)  It is pretty obvious though that Eider would rather walk with the big dogs than have his own walk.  He even lifted his leg like a big dog!  He's still a little punk in my book!
Daphne

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 08:13:08 am »
AW Eider your a funny boy ::)  I have to agree you are very brave to walk all 3. I have only attempted Rosie and Farley together. This was before Rosie had any obedience training. I thought I would have to have a straight jacket by the time I got around the block :o   I can't imagine adding Puck into the mix...hehehehe h

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 03:18:27 am »
Rocco is a complete traitor, he is best friends with whoever is newest in the room, has just petted him, given him a treat, or simply looked in his direction.  Maia is my lover girl and will always side with me or my cousin.  She will accept new people who are visiting but she will always come by one of us to settle in.

Male dogs are traitors.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs