Author Topic: Dane pooping while sleeping...  (Read 4359 times)

Offline eightdogs4me

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • When There's A Will, There's A Way
Dane pooping while sleeping...
« on: July 27, 2006, 02:10:38 pm »
A couple of months ago, Brutus started pooping a tiny little turd (well, tiny for a Dane) sometime during the night while he slept.  I didn't think much of it- maybe I didn't let him out long enough to do his business, etc...

However, he started doing it more frequently.  He's done it just about every night for the last couple of weeks.  He doesn't do it while napping through the day, only at night and I'm certain he doesn't do it consciously, as he is nearly perfectly housebroken.  It is only one little peice like I said before.

I asked one of the doctors at work today about it (I wanted to ask Dr. Anne, but we were pretty busy this AM, so I didn't get a chance to, so I asked the newly graduated vet) and he says it is possibly an early onset of Wobbler's.  He said he thought all along that Brutus's gait was a little strange.  I'm going to take him in tomorrow and possibly do some x-rays.

A little history on Bru- he was adopted from the shelter at 9 months old.  Don't know what happened in life before that, but was most likely fed puppy food.  For the first few months when I had him, I didn't know any better and fed him Pedigree adult.  After that, he was switched to better food.  (Nutro Natural Choice->Chicken Soup->Canidae).  He will be 5 in October, so he's no spring chicken for a Dane, but he isn't old.  He is on Cosequin maintainence dose.  He only gets DHPV (no lepto) vaccine every three years and Rabies annually, which unfortunately is the law here.  He never gets them at the same time.  He is on the low dose of interceptor every 45 days and gets frontline monthly to every 45 days (as needed). 

It could be something as simple as loss of anal tone, but when the vet mentioned Wobblers, I got a little more concerned.

Those who have Dane's with Wobblers and have had them since before they were diagnosed, what were some of the first signs?

Thanks!

Any thoughts on this? 
Emily and the gang

Offline eightdogs4me

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Dane pooping while sleeping...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 02:28:30 pm »
That makes me feel better, thanks for your response.  I don't mind at all, well, I'd rather it not happen at all, but I can definitely put up with it! I mean they are exactly what you said "sawed off turds", lol.  I really hope that is what is going on here as well.  Thanks!
Emily and the gang

doggylover

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 02:46:04 pm »
I'm sorry.  This must be scary.  I mean, if it was just a cute thing, and didn't mean anything really wrong, it would be WONDERFUL.  You would always remember that sweet goofy Dane who did lil poofs in his sleep.  I hope that's all it is.
 :-\

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 01:14:27 am »
We see these at our house too. Not often, but maybe once a month. They aren't much bigger than a hershey's kiss though so I attribute it to "the package was already at the loading dock but was overlooked on the last pick up." After typing this, I have no idea what that means.

Sorry if the hershey's kiss reference grossed anyone out.

Jason

GR8DAME

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 02:20:16 am »
I have not had this problem, but I had to say that I am scared now. I actually understood that last post...
Stella

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 02:44:21 am »
We had this issue with one of my girls a few months back- it only happened 3-4 times, and hasn't happened since.  Because it was my gassiest girl that was doing it, we figured she was trying to pass gas in her sleep, but the colon was a bit too full at the time.  Thankfully it wasn't loose stools at the time!  She had no idea she had done it, and when she woke up in the morning it was comical to watch her when she noticed it.  Wish I had gotten it on tape though.

Weedsport, NY

Icerotti

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 03:16:17 am »
Well I do not have a dane that does it, but I do have a rotti that does on the odd occasion. I would find a little "sawed off" at the front door where he sleeps ::)
Needless to say going to the vet scares the crap outta Puck b/c he usually does one of those there too ::) How embarassing. He is just sitting there and he stands up and there it is a "little sawed off"..lol
 This has happened on and off at different times during... I am guessing at the last two years. Puck is 8.6 Yrs old now. It has never been problamatic enough to mention to the vet. I just kind of chalked it up to getting older and maybe having to go really bad-not wanting to have an accident in the house--but it happens just a little bit anyways.

I hope all works out well for you.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 10:17:46 am by Icerotti »

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 03:48:40 pm »
"sawed off turds"...HAHAHAHAH  I hope everything is ok.  My GSD did it too, he was 6.  I attributed it to his HD and just his muscles not being as good as they used to be.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline eightdogs4me

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 10:11:40 am »
Thanks all, I feel much better.  I haven't been real concerned about it until the (new) vet mentioned Wobblers.  The more I thought about it, though, the more I questioned Wobblers.  Not that the vet doesn't know what he is talking about, but he is newly graduated, after all.  And, of course, Brutus hasn't done it since I mentioned it...
Emily and the gang

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 10:52:37 am »
OMG you guys are cracking me up with these turd stories!!! :D Sounds like it is a fairly common thing for a big paw over 5 years old. I will know who to turn to if Leeloo starts doing it!

I hope Brutus is ok and it's not wobblers or anything. Keep us posted!