Author Topic: tell me about Bullmastiffs!  (Read 6417 times)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
tell me about Bullmastiffs!
« on: September 26, 2006, 07:22:25 am »
Ever since I ran into a Bullmastiff at the pet store the other day, I cannot stop thinking about them! The one I met was SUCH A CUTIE!!! :-*
I have seen pictures that have made my heart melt... like this one!

I lived with a young Bullmastiff for about 9 months, she belonged to a roommate of mine and she was an awesome dog. But when I was kid growing up, the dog breed reference book that I always read said that this breed was "Fearless, will not back down from a fight with either beast or man"... and to be honest that scared me quite a bit! Sounds very intimidating! :o

So I just wanted to hear some feedback from people about their temperament once they are adults. Stuff like how they get along with other dogs, can you take them to the dog park, stuff like that. What are their tendencies.

Thanks! And anyone who has pictures... please share!!! ;D ;D ;D

kristi

Re: tell me about Bullmastiffs!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 04:40:27 pm »
I adopted Sampson at 5yrs old.  He came from an abussive home, but you'd never know it.
He is wonderful with kids, other dogs, & even cats.
Sam isn't an agressor - however, he will protect me if necessary...  Don't try to enter my house without my permission.  ;)
He's a great dog - I love him to death!  :-*
-k.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 06:09:25 pm »
I adopted Sampson at 5yrs old.  He came from an abussive home, but you'd never know it.
He is wonderful with kids, other dogs, & even cats.
Sam isn't an agressor - however, he will protect me if necessary...  Don't try to enter my house without my permission.  ;)
He's a great dog - I love him to death!  :-*
-k.

Wow, what a guy! Thanks for the report, Sampson sounds awesome!! :)

Offline morph's mom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Morpheus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 07:35:45 am »
Hi there,  We used to have a bullmastiff named Sasha.  In some ways this is not a happy story but in other ways it is.  This is my experience with Sasha and is not intended to scare you or to shy you away from the breed.  This is just my experience.   We got Sasha from a rescue in Los Angeles Ca.  She was 3 years old and had been an owner turn in to the rescue.  She was kicked by a horse as a puppy and had a broken jaw and a few broken teeth.  It never effected any part of her life.  The only thing was that her tounge ALWAYS hung out of that side of her mouth. I thought that this just added to her personality. She was a great dog we never had any problems with her at all she loved all kids skin and fur and was a great watch dog.  The pizza delivery guys would ring the door bell and run down to the street and wait for us.   

Sasha lived with us for almost 2 years before the accident happened.  She was on the couch chewing on a rawhide bone like she always did.  Mason who was 2 days away from his 3rd birthday came in and said that his foot hurt.  So I put him on the couch about 2 feet away from her.  They were both where they always sat to watch tv on a daily basis.  I was looking at his foot as was my neighbor when out of no where Sasha jumped up and grabbed Mason by the face.  It all happened soo quick and i was sitting right in front of him and there was nothing that I could have done.  Well to make a really long story short.  Mason ended up at the hospital with 39 stiches in one cheek and 12 in the other.  When we brought him home the next morning she would not even come in the house cause she knew what she had done was wrong.

We refused to do as the hospital and animal control wanted and have her put to sleep.  We called the rescue back and let them know what happened and we returned her to them with much saddness.  Sasha has since been adopted out to an older couple with no children around and is doing great.  So even after this whole thing happened everything worked out.  Sasha has a new home where she is happy and you can hardly see the scar on Mason now and he doesnt even remember it (thank god).

I still love her and miss her soo much even after 2 years.  I just wish that she would have worked out with my family and that mason would never have gotten hurt.

They are great dogs but very very protective.  Please dont let this scare you away from them, but I wanted you to know what could happen with an older rescued bullmastiff.

Good Luck with your decision.

Carrie

here is a pic of Sasha.  She is a long haired bully.
Morpheus Mastidane 1 yr

A. J. Keeshound  3 yr

Dogs are really people with short legs in fur coats

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person." - Andrew A. Rooney

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 07:51:43 am »
Oh my, I am so sorry to hear that story about Sasha! I'm glad Mason is ok and doesn't remember it! Sasha loos like she was a real character, it must have hurt really bad to have to give her up. :'( Thanks for sharing your story, it's good to hear all kinds of experiences.

I am just doing some research at this point, I'm not ready to adopt another dog right now. It will be a while before that happens, but I am in the "fantasizing" stage right now! ;) I have seen a few Bullmastiffs in local shelters and it always breaks my heart, so it's just kinda been in the back of my mind. There is something special about them!! :D

Offline morph's mom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Morpheus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 07:59:30 am »
YEs there most certainly is just "something about them".  Sasha was my baby and it just tore me up to have to send her back.  We have talked about it and When Mason is older maybe 10 or 12 we might get another one as a puppy.  They are really stubborn though hence the bull part of the bullmastiff.   lol

Carrie
Morpheus Mastidane 1 yr

A. J. Keeshound  3 yr

Dogs are really people with short legs in fur coats

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person." - Andrew A. Rooney