Author Topic: Question, to all Leonberger Owners  (Read 12038 times)

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Question, to all Leonberger Owners
« on: July 29, 2006, 12:07:49 pm »
A breeder has told me that if I wanted a Leonberger to realize that this breed are 'Velcro' dogs.
Is this true?  Do you find that if you dissapear for a bit, they are freaken?

DakotaMom

Re: Question, to all Leonberger Owners
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 04:22:15 pm »
i have not had that problem with mine. The August issue of Dogworld magazine is the rare breed issue. There are many breeders listed in there.

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 04:25:46 pm »
Shoot....
I am not familar with DogWorld.
I am in canada.
And I might be able to have one here just an hour away.
Going to wait til she gets back from holidays before I can see what Leonbergers look like in person.
Thanks for you reply DakotaMom.

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 03:19:10 am »
** BUMP **

Is there any other Leo owners??

More input please...

Offline berners

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 03:13:47 am »
I have 2 Leo's - a 15 month old male and a 2 year old female.
The female fits the velco description but our male is way more independant and not at all like that.

Where are you in Canada? I am in New Brunswick.
Jocelyne

Bart - Bernese Mountain Dog
Jessie - Leonberger
Cooper - Leonberger

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 08:48:45 am »
HI...
Thank-you Berners for your reply.

I figured as much about the velcro part the breeders said.
I think generally Leo's CAN be like that, but like every human, every specifications in a breed can be different.
Another breeder, a Great Pyrenees breeder on a e-mail to me, sounded like she freaked out when I said that there is a leash free park near me, and that I can take the Great Pyrenees there for the excersie.  She sounded like she was freaken when she said that the Great Pyrenees are wonderers and should never be taken off leash.  Then I go see a Great Pyrenees in that same park I was talking about, and watched her.  She came back when she was called (eventually  ::) ), and yes she wondered, but no too far. So I understand that the breed specifications are a gerenal, but doesn't mean every single dog follow those.

I am In Ontario, Berners.
There are about 3 breeders here, real bummer the Leobergers are SOOOO expensive.  I really don't know how to justifly spending $2000 on a dog.  ( maybe I should post that for the group to answer.)

Thanks again

Kiahpyr

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 09:00:07 am »
Then I go see a Great Pyrenees in that same park I was talking about, and watched her.  She came back when she was called (eventually  ::) ), and yes she wondered, but no too far. So I understand that the breed specifications are a gerenal, but doesn't mean every single dog follow those.

I take Kiah to a dog park that doesn't have a fence and is leash free. She did the same thing the pyr you described did. I did end up putting a lead on her so just in case she wandered too far I could grab the leash. The only thing is not to run after them. I would walk up behind her grab the leash and lead her back to the rest of the dogs. If I ran she would take off running too.

Yes pyrs are wonderers and I would never let Kiah off leash for a walk or even loose out in the yard. I believe it's also in how much training the dog has and if they listen to you. LOL! Good luck in your search. 

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 09:19:58 am »
That's what the owner dogs, he walks to get her, as she is grazzing (eatting the grass), hee hee
Yes, it is funny to watch him go get her, and I have actually witnessed the 'selective' hearing of a pyr, it's so funny, she looks right at him too.

I would definitly would not walk them off leash on a park or front yard too.

Thank-you Tajsa

Offline goldengal

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 01:58:25 am »
I live with my daughter and son in law who have a Leonberger who just turned 1 last month and a 2-1/2 year old Bernese Mountain Dog. I would say the Berner is more velco when it comes to humans, but the Leonberger has really bonded (too much) to the Berner, and if he is away for even a few hours Savannah is really upset.

We too are in Ontario, and when it was time to get Savannah, none of the Ontario breeders had a litter so my daughter and I flew to Vancouver to pick her up from a breeder there so she could ride in the cabin in a Sherpa bag rather than in cargo. She is a delight, but much different than the Berner who is so laid back, and my Golden who is just turning 2.

DakotaMom

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 03:30:06 am »
I was just talking to my breeder, Ruta. She said that her females have been more velcro dogs than her males but it mostly goes back to training. She said she has not heard a lot about seperation anxiety to much in Leos. She has been in the breed for many years and is raiser her "M" litter as we speak.

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 06:30:07 am »
Thanks for your input.. both of you.  :)

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 06:07:45 pm »