Author Topic: Different types of throw-up  (Read 3806 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Different types of throw-up
« on: July 30, 2006, 01:02:54 pm »
Usually if Zoey throws up she throws up yellow bile. But today when I came home I found a pile of thrown-up partially digested food. This would have made sense to me if she had just eaten, but I fed her 4 hours before I left the house, so I know a good amount of time passed before she threw up.

Does anyone know the difference between what would cause a dog to throw up bile, and what would cause them to throw up partially digested food ???
RIP former BPO

doggylover

Re: Different types of throw-up
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 01:05:55 pm »
Usually if Zoey throws up she throws up yellow bile. But today when I came home I found a pile of thrown-up partially digested food. This would have made sense to me if she had just eaten, but I fed her 4 hours before I left the house, so I know a good amount of time passed before she threw up.

Does anyone know the difference between what would cause a dog to throw up bile, and what would cause them to throw up partially digested food ???
Kibble takes a very long time to digest.  Badger is the KING of puke, he vomits about once every few weeks.  My guess is that she just hadn't digested her food yet.  I would feed her again in a few hours and then if she pukes or seems lathargic, take her to the vet, she could have a blockage.  You might ask Liz about Bloat, for some reason I think I remember her posting about how to check if a dog is bloated. 
Good luck!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 01:10:11 pm »
But if it usually takes her that long to digest kibble, why wouldn't she normally throw up kibble instead of bile ???

I will double check for symptoms of bloat, but I don't really think that it is bloat because she has been tacked already as a preventative measure.
RIP former BPO

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 04:09:22 pm »
If she had bloat, she would be pacing her belly would be hard and she would be acting VERY uncomfortable. (and you'd be driving to the emergency vet as fast as you could!!) 

I think sometimes puppers eat weird stuff that doesn't digest and they just give up and get rid of it (vomit).  So whatever's in there comes right along with it in whatever stage of digestion it's in.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 04:19:07 pm »
Oh lovely topic huh.  hehehe

Thanks, I try my best  ;)

I just think it is so weird because I have never seen her throw up kibble before - it has always been bile
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 04:21:10 pm by shangrila »
RIP former BPO

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 05:56:17 pm »
I really hope she is feeling better!...I was lucky enough to have 3 kinds of dog vomit here last night!...A huge pile & I mean HUGE pile of undigested kibble...A huge pool of semi digested kibble & bile...We had my uncle's dog for the weekend & evidently we had a case of doggy flu going around...All 3 were fine this morning but YUCK! :-\
How is she feeling now?

doggylover

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 01:02:22 pm »
How is your girl feeling?
 :-[

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 01:17:49 pm »
She's doing pretty good today. She had some diahrea  :-\ but so far she has held down her breakfast and dinner  :)
RIP former BPO

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 01:56:21 pm »
She's doing pretty good today. She had some diahrea  :-\ but so far she has held down her breakfast and dinner  :)
I'm glad she is feeling a little better...When I look at your avatar it really pains me to know she isn't feeling well...She looks so sweet. :)

Anakalia

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 02:03:09 pm »
OH MY!!  We must have a case of doggie flu going around BPO. Koby's been sick the last couple days too!  He's thrown up 3-4 times and has had diarrhea but I just thought it was because of the heat(heat index has been between 105-110 degrees here)  He's been throwing up bile and grass. ::)  I'm glad your girls feeling better today!