Author Topic: Binky is the worst LGD ever! Got my goats-pix  (Read 5893 times)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Binky is the worst LGD ever! Got my goats-pix
« on: July 31, 2006, 02:24:56 pm »
Hi Everyone,
Haven't been on for a while-so busy, but wanted to show you all my new babies Jasper and Ferdinand-aren't they adorable :)- and ask a question about Binky!  She's a Pyr, just over a year old, no guardian experience.  We did just get the goats yesterday, so I know everyone needs to adjust, but Binky really doesn't seem to have the guard instinct.  She alternates between completely ignoring them and terrifying them by charging the fence and barking at them.  I made a breif mistake of allowing her loose in the same area with them and she chased them.  My breeder told me that Pyrs do not need any real training to be around livestock.  Apparently, this is not the case.  Our Papillon, McDougal, has been more protective of the goats than she is- if they cry, he'll go over to them and watch them until they stop! Notice Binky ignoring them in the background of the third pic! Any advice? 
Modified to add-Binky doesn't need to be a "real" LGD, she is a house dog, but I do want her to be able to go in the yard with the goats.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 02:30:46 pm by Binky »
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Kiahpyr

Re: Binky is the worst LGD ever! Got my goats-pix
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 02:27:44 pm »
The goats are so adorable!!!! I'm sorry I can't be of any help with the lgd thing. Kiah is all house dog!

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 02:43:22 pm »
Ignoring is a lot better than chasing.  Do not allow her in the same pen for any reason unless you have her on a leash and under your direct control.  Give it time.  She needs to learn that these are not toys, not intruders, but that they belong.  My Pyr and Anatolian are working LGDs.  They primarily guard the poultry.  They do NOT go in the pens with the birds.  They have perimeter fence around the bird pens and they patrol between the fences.  Katie was in a similar setup with the Alpacas that she guarded before she came here.  Her area to patrol was between the Alpaca fence and the perimeter fence.  We've had to work a lot with Katie to get her to leave the birds alone (some birds free range and do go into the LGD patrol area).  She really has a high prey drive. 

Some of my favorite LGD links:

http://www.lgd.org/

http://shahbazinanatolianshepherds.com/tablecon.htm

http://www.lgd.org/stories/DaemonIntro.htm

http://www.bountifulfarm.com/lgd_seminar.htm

Daphne

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 02:49:38 pm »
Binky,

Your on the wrong list for that.  What you need is to join Pyr Talk.  It's a list specifically designed to show you what you need to do to help your Pyr. 

Yes they need some training.  But if they dont have the guardian instinct then they just dont have it.  Not to be a snob but if that's all the info you have on LGDs then you are going to need help to evaluate her for guardian abilities.  First off, she is just a puppy and even the best guardians will play/chase livestock at that age.  So until you get enough info to help you deal with this issue this is what you need to do.

Build a pen for her with a common fence line between her and the goats.  That way they will have enough time to adjust to each other.  Young goats who have never been around a guardian need time to adjust just like your Pyr does.  Leave her in her pen.  Give her socialization there between you and her, give her treats there, feed and water her there.  When you go into the area where the goats are, take her with you on leash.  (You can get a long lead and loop it around your waist so your hands are free to tend to chores.  When she does something  inappropriate correct her with a very firm no Bad Girl!  If she does something right, praise her Good girl! and give her a treat.  Do not leave her unattended with the goats for now.

Then go join Pyr Talk and read up on the info there in the archives.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PyrTalk/

Also, read this.
http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/startpup.htm

Remember, Binky will decide if she is a house dog or a guardian, you wont.  She will let you know loud and strong that she is not happy without her goats, or not happy without you around all the time.  But she is too young yet and too inexperienced to have made up her mind.  I've seen pups I knew were going to be good guardians and the traits were very visible at 3 mo.  But they came into the world around goats and had a built in teacher, their grandfather, to train them.

Believe me, you are going to want her to guard your goats.  Or at least another Pyr to guard them.

Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 02:51:28 pm »
I can talk the talk but because my dogs aren't gaurdians I'll direct you to where they walk the walk daily! :) ...Here is a no nonsense group of people who have working Pyrs...Very good info. born of experience here:

edited to ask what kind of goats they are & how old because they are 22222222222222 22222 freakin' cute!!! ;D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 07:08:41 pm by Gypsy Jazmine »

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 05:37:15 pm »
OMG baby goats!!! Goats are my secret love ;D congrats on getting 2 very cute ones!!

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 01:22:55 am »
Binky,

Your on the wrong list for that. What you need is to join Pyr Talk. It's a list specifically designed to show you what you need to do to help your Pyr.

Yes they need some training. But if they dont have the guardian instinct then they just dont have it. Not to be a snob but if that's all the info you have on LGDs then you are going to need help to evaluate her for guardian abilities. First off, she is just a puppy and even the best guardians will play/chase livestock at that age. So until you get enough info to help you deal with this issue this is what you need to do.

Build a pen for her with a common fence line between her and the goats. That way they will have enough time to adjust to each other. Young goats who have never been around a guardian need time to adjust just like your Pyr does. Leave her in her pen. Give her socialization there between you and her, give her treats there, feed and water her there. When you go into the area where the goats are, take her with you on leash. (You can get a long lead and loop it around your waist so your hands are free to tend to chores. When she does something inappropriate correct her with a very firm no Bad Girl! If she does something right, praise her Good girl! and give her a treat. Do not leave her unattended with the goats for now.

Also, read this.

Remember, Binky will decide if she is a house dog or a guardian, you wont. She will let you know loud and strong that she is not happy without her goats, or not happy without you around all the time. But she is too young yet and too inexperienced to have made up her mind. I've seen pups I knew were going to be good guardians and the traits were very visible at 3 mo. But they came into the world around goats and had a built in teacher, their grandfather, to train them.

Believe me, you are going to want her to guard your goats. Or at least another Pyr to guard them.

Jackie

Thanks you for the tips.  I did do a lot of research -months- before we decided on a Pyr.  However, I intended for her to be a pet, not working.  I did know that I would be getting goats sometime in the future but didn't know I'd have the opportunity to do so this soon. We do have two pens with a common line for them all to get used to each other.  I will definitely check out the other sites.

edited to ask what kind of goats they are & how old because they are 22222222222222 22222 freakin' cute!!! ;D
Thanks, aren't they sooo adorable?  They look like Disney cartoon deer to me!  They're 10 week old Nigerian Dwarfs and they are so sweet- a lot like puppies.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 01:47:52 am »
Sorry - I haven't a bit of advice..... but those goats are sooooooo flippin' cute!  :)

Offline frosty73

• Gnawer
  • Giant puppy Atlas and mini Djin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 03:58:19 am »
I grew up on a dairy goat farm...
but your goats are just too cute!
I don't have any advice on herding/guarding, though.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 03:58:56 am »
Binky,

Your on the wrong list for that. What you need is to join Pyr Talk. It's a list specifically designed to show you what you need to do to help your Pyr.

Yes they need some training. But if they dont have the guardian instinct then they just dont have it. Not to be a snob but if that's all the info you have on LGDs then you are going to need help to evaluate her for guardian abilities. First off, she is just a puppy and even the best guardians will play/chase livestock at that age. So until you get enough info to help you deal with this issue this is what you need to do.

Build a pen for her with a common fence line between her and the goats. That way they will have enough time to adjust to each other. Young goats who have never been around a guardian need time to adjust just like your Pyr does. Leave her in her pen. Give her socialization there between you and her, give her treats there, feed and water her there. When you go into the area where the goats are, take her with you on leash. (You can get a long lead and loop it around your waist so your hands are free to tend to chores. When she does something inappropriate correct her with a very firm no Bad Girl! If she does something right, praise her Good girl! and give her a treat. Do not leave her unattended with the goats for now.

Also, read this.

Remember, Binky will decide if she is a house dog or a guardian, you wont. She will let you know loud and strong that she is not happy without her goats, or not happy without you around all the time. But she is too young yet and too inexperienced to have made up her mind. I've seen pups I knew were going to be good guardians and the traits were very visible at 3 mo. But they came into the world around goats and had a built in teacher, their grandfather, to train them.

Believe me, you are going to want her to guard your goats. Or at least another Pyr to guard them.

Jackie

Thanks you for the tips.  I did do a lot of research -months- before we decided on a Pyr.  However, I intended for her to be a pet, not working.  I did know that I would be getting goats sometime in the future but didn't know I'd have the opportunity to do so this soon. We do have two pens with a common line for them all to get used to each other.  I will definitely check out the other sites.

Thanks, aren't they sooo adorable?  They look like Disney cartoon deer to me!  They're 10 week old Nigerian Dwarfs and they are so sweet- a lot like puppies.
I think I have the Nigerian Dwarfs on my research list...We've been thinking about goats here for the dogs for quite awhile now too...I have to petition City council though as, though we have the room, we are still officially zoned "city"...Don't know how as this is a small town! :-\ :D

Offline jdumin

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Wolfie & Freddie: The New Puppy
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 08:56:29 am »
OMG the goats are SSOOOOOOO cute.  That makes me want to move and have goats.  What will you use them for/do with them?  SOOOO cute.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 10:18:03 am »
I just think it is funny that Binky chases the goats.  She wouldn't know what to do when she caught them, would she?
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 11:44:04 am »
Thanks for all the compliments on my little guys!  I will post some pix of them with the other animals as soon as everyone settles down.  They're wethers, so they're just for pets.  I plan to get some does for milk but wanted to see just how much work goats require before jumping in to something that might be over my head!  Also, the kids are just so cute that I don't know if I'd ever be able to part with any and would end up with a herd of 90!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat