Author Topic: Cherry eye??  (Read 2522 times)

Offline cosmosmama

• Big Paw Certified
  • Handsome Man
    • View Profile
Cherry eye??
« on: August 01, 2006, 04:39:56 am »
I just got off the phone with the vet to get Cosmo a heartworm test and check up.  YIKES!!  I explained the appearance of one of his eyes and she said it sounded like Cherry Eye.  Nicole mentioned it when I picked him up, but I had no idea he would need surgery for it.  INEXPERIENCED!!

I went through old threads on it and PM Willow's mom since she said she was going in for it.

Anyone know any more about it???  Cosmo goes in at 1:30 and they said prepare for him to stay.  I trust my vet, but don't like the idea of him going in for surgery so soon and without a little research.

Krista
Krista, Cosmo (Goofus), Sadie (THE BOSS) and Sammie (Sweet Boy)
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
                                                Oliver Wendell Holmes

rickysmom1

Re: Cherry eye??
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 11:28:52 am »
I just looked @ the PM, but thought I'd answer your questions here.  :)  Willow is actually my 2nd dog with this particular eye problem. Our english cocker spaniel had cherry eye in one eye, but his problem corrected itself. Willow has cherry eye in both eyes and unfortunately her problem requires a 2nd surgery   :'(. Willow's Vet method of correction is to put the gland back into the pocket that the gland is supposed to be in and sew up the area to try and keep the gland in place so the scar tissue can build up. She has done this before w/a fairly high success rate. Unfortunately Willow's 1st surgery wasn't successful, but we're going to try one more time. If this one doesn't work I think we might take Willow out to UC Davis and see if there is anything they can do. Our last resort is removing the gland completely and I definitely want to avoid that. If you have any other questions or I left something out let me know.

Debbie

Offline cosmosmama

• Big Paw Certified
  • Handsome Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 02:04:18 pm »
Thanks for looking into that for me Liz and thanks Debbie for the info on Willow. 
I was really concerned when a vet tech said he might stay for the surgery tonight.  My vet said no way on the surgery now.  Cosmo needs time to love his new home and she would like him to gain some more weight. 

She does want to remove the gland when she does it.  She said she has had so much more success with gland removal verses tacking.  I am going to continue to snoop around about it.  For tonight we are hoping Cosmo's Heartworm test comes back negative.
Krista, Cosmo (Goofus), Sadie (THE BOSS) and Sammie (Sweet Boy)
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
                                                Oliver Wendell Holmes

Kiahpyr

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 02:24:41 pm »
Poor Cosmo! Have my fingers crossed on the heartworm test. I'll call you tomorrow or friday, so I can meet Cosmo. YAY!!

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 07:00:47 pm »
I don't have any personal experience with cherry eye but I hope things work out well & easily for Cosmo! :)