Author Topic: Great Dane ear problems  (Read 17250 times)

bigdogs@5501

Great Dane ear problems
« on: August 01, 2006, 02:57:45 pm »
My 18 month old Great Dane just recently started shaking his head, we checked his ears and one ear smelled bad- we cleaned it out (lots of ugly stuff) and he seems to be better now. The other ear was fine. We have never had any problems with ear mites and was wondering how to determine if he has ear mites or possibly some other type of infection. Since it is after hours, I will have to wait until business hours to callthe vet. I have also heard that Danes are prone to ear infections if they have not had thier ears cropped. Jakes are not cropped. Any suggestions? I have also heard of Danes getting a type of yeast infection in thier ears.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Great Dane ear problems
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 02:59:54 pm »
I would just do what you are planning to. Call the vet, and keep the ear clean until you take him in. Other than that, sorry! I don't know!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

cricket36580

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 03:22:58 pm »
If you want a home remedy for yeast, try Blue Wash...  16 oz Isopropal Alcohol, 16 drops Gentocin Violet, 4 tbsp boric acid.  This was given to me by a vet.  Other people say it works rather well but I've not had reason to try it.  Make sure you shake well to stir the boric acid up in it.

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 05:28:17 pm »
Bella had a really bad ear infection a couple of months ago.  She had to be on antibiotics for two weeks and some eardrops.  Sounds like what you are experiencing.  Just keep it clean until you can get to the vet.
I asked the vet at the time why did she get it, because I clean her ears at least once per week.  He said it just happens sometimes.
Bella's ears are not cropped also.  I had heard the same thing about uncropped ears, but my vet (who I trust and love), said it's a bunch of hogwash.  They can get them whether they are cropped or not.
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

GR8DAME

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 03:06:50 am »
Merlin is 5 years old, and has had one ear problem in that time, and he has  natural ears. I think if your dog is prone to them he will have them, cropped or uncropped.
The discharge I havc seen from ear mites is a reddish brown color, and yeast infections generally have a distinctive odor.
Stella

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 04:27:26 am »
ick! ear infections... was the guck dark brown and smelly?? probably a yeast infection!  def go to the vet and get it checked out! they can give you an antibiotic to squirt in there and it will clear up in no tiME!
fumble is the KING of ear infections.. i nearly spnet a small fortune in vet visits, until 'I' figured out that he was allergic to chicken! lol!  but def call the vet, they will be able to help you out!
and hugs and kisses to your big guy! those nasty things are uncomfortable and itchy!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 05:27:41 am »
Poor pupper. Hope you figure it out soon.

Bear has icky ears all the time (mostly his left ear). Dark, thick, gucky residue and lots of shaking. The inside of his ear often looks inflamed as well. If it stinks, too, I know it's a yeast infection. I think it's super sweet when Nakita tends to Bear's ear by licking it for him.  :-* He LOVES that but, unfortunately, it means something is going on in there.  He had to be put under sedation the first winter we had him to have a thorough cleaning of his inner ears.  :-[ We thought it was  allergy-based, haven't been able to figure it out after changing foods (what a process!), soaps/shampoos, etc, and I now wonder if it's seasonal.  ???

I just posted the other day looking for home remedies for this issue. Please let me know if you come across anything.

Jennifer

« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 05:29:27 am by jennifer »
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline MaryJane238

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 09:28:53 am »
actually, there is a LITTLE bit of truth to the cropped/uncropped thing.  longer, floppier ears are going to trap more moisture in the ear canal which can lead to ear infections.  however, MOST ear infections are caused by allergies so it won't matter if the ear is cropped or uncropped.  the gentian violet wash mentioned above is really great.  i would wait until the vet checks the ears before starting, though, just to be sure it is an infection and not mites.  otherwise, try that wash 1-2 times a week and hopefully that will be enough to control the problem

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 11:36:38 am »
Thanks so much for so much information- I am tied to a job from 7-4 thru the week so it is hard to get off (boss doesnt understand, these are not just dogs) so hopefully my daughter will be able to get him in to see our vet in the next couple of days. It is only the one ear and it is red and inflammed and yep, smelled pretty bad. We got it cleaned out and he is not shaking it so much. Luckily no ear issues with any of the Pyrs or the Newf mix. We try to keep all of thier ears cleaned on a regular basis. I am going to call my vet to see if she has any of the violet wash and so that when I get him in there we can also pick that up

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 03:23:50 pm »
ick! ear infections... was the guck dark brown and smelly?? probably a yeast infection!  def go to the vet and get it checked out! they can give you an antibiotic to squirt in there and it will clear up in no tiME!
fumble is the KING of ear infections.. i nearly spnet a small fortune in vet visits, until 'I' figured out that he was allergic to chicken! lol!

Oreo went through a similar thing when he had an ear infection. Several different antibiotics and daily cleanings for weeks on end until we tried a food change and realized it was triggered by an allergic reaction (either chicken or wheat, not really sure).

Jason