Author Topic: vet's diagnosis  (Read 4908 times)

Offline clark

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
vet's diagnosis
« on: August 04, 2006, 01:17:04 pm »
I took my dog Buddy to the vet last week - he has been limping on and off for about 4 weeks.  X-rays showed beginning stages of hip dysplasia and a torn ligament in his knee (both on the same leg.)  I have some experience with hip dysplasia, my chow had it - we opted for surgery for her.  Would like to know if anyone can give advice on the non-surgical approach to the hip dysplasia, (weight management, anti-inflammatory drugs, etc.)  Does this work?  And as far as the torn ligament goes, does that ever heal on it's own or will it need surgery also?  Thanks everyone!
"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue."

mjjensen

Re: vet's diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 02:13:23 pm »
  My first Newf Molly was diagnosed with moderate HD in both hips before she turned 1. My original vet said that surgery was the only option. I got a second opinion and they recommended trying cortisone shots when she showed signs of lameness and watch her diet to keep her on the light side. He eventually added Glucosomine/chondroitin suppliments which was fairly new at the time. She lived to be almost 12 and required the shots maybe 6-8 times in that time. She never ended up needing the surgery. And right up to the very end her favorite thing in the whole world was going for a walk.

doggylover

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 02:23:45 pm »
It really depends on how bad the ligament is torn.  We have to have (another) tplo surgery for Badger, but my understanding is that if its a partial tear, it can heal with a ton of crating and anti-inflamtorys. 
Good luck.  What a nightmare.
 :(

Offline clark

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 02:31:10 pm »
wow, thanks for the info.  Sorry your guy has to have another surgery.  Hopefully Buddy will be able to heal on his own - we go back to the vet next week to see how he's doing on the anti inflams.  Thanks for your help.
"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue."

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 02:42:18 pm »
We had to put my dog Ben down partly because he was in such pain from his hip dysplasia. We gave him glucosamine tablets and aspirin to help with the pain every day. Problem with the aspirin was that after too much use, it can cause the stomach to bleed or other bowel problems. So we quit using it, then the pain came back. Ultimately, nothing helped him because I think the hip dysplasia was so far advanced when we tried to treat it. That's why I started both my dogs now on Glucosamine pills every night since they've been about 7 months old. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If his hd isn't too far advanced, I'd definitely start him on Glucosamine tablets. Ask your vet about the right dosage for him. Hope he starts feeling better soon!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 06:29:00 pm »
Ligaments will heal on their own it just takes time, if not torn too bad, tendons will not.  My GSD had HD and arthritis in his spine, he was on Rimadyl but some dogs do not do well on Rimadyl for a long period of time.  It's important to have the liver tested while the dog is on it.  The one good thing about Rimadyl is that once the dog is taken off, if their are problems with the liver, the liver can reverse the effects and function normally (that is my understanding), if the damage is not too far gone.  Navarre was on it for years.  He was also on different glucosamine products over the years.  He was on Synovi G3 and was doing well on that but it was a bit expensive (well he was a big boy and had to take 3 a day).  Weight management is also a big issue with HD and keeping the dog exercised, to his tolerance of course and nothing strenuous.  Good luck and hopefully he'll be feeling better soon.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 12:01:26 am »
We had a good discussion regarding this not long ago. Please check it out, I believe it will help:

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,10670.msg132379.html#msg132379

The bottom line is, if your dog has a partial tear, ACL, it may heal with conservative management. If not, and has blown the ligament, only surgery will work. Did your vet get an MRI? That is the only "x-ray" that can diagnose a partial tear. Most vets have no access to such equipment, so I would assume not? Palpation and manipulation are the diagnostic means to diagnose a complete tear.
Did you vet do a knee tap to check for inflammatory cells present within the stifle joint capsule? Did he listen for noise in any of the joints (signs of arthritis)? Did he discuss the 3 different surgical options? If not, I would get a second opinion and make certain to ask lots of questions. If the vet cannot explain while manipulating the joints what he finding and why surgery is necessary, then he/she should not be doing surgery on your dog.

Also consider joining the yahoo group orthodogs. They can answer your questions regarding conservative management.

Best wishes,
Deena

cricket36580

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 08:02:07 am »
Deena...would you go with me when I have Bella certified?  Pretty please...

Just wanted to jump on and say I hope he gets to feeling better soon...  ACL bites!

Offline clark

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 08:16:58 am »
I want to thank everyone for all your good advice.  This is such a helpful site and you all are so nice to share your knowledge and wisdom!!  I will let you know how my Buddy does.
With much appreciation
Amy, Buddy, and Jake (who misses being able to rough-house with his brother!)