Author Topic: Let me ask you this...Do you feel lucky?....or Samson will you get the door? ( :  (Read 9107 times)

Gypsy Jazmine

Pippin reigns supreme in the yard...He is our chief gaurdian out there but Samson is our enforcer at the door...When he hears anyone coming up to the door he is like this...Nose to the doorknob...wai ting...I would hate to be someone coming through that door who isn't welcomed here. :-\ :o...It makes a mom feel pretty secure. :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 08:33:16 am by Gypsy Jazmine »

MommyOfSchnauzers

Re: Let me ask you this...Do you feel lucky?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 06:15:25 pm »
ROFL  Good Boy Samson!

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 06:49:52 pm »
What a good boy! My two are great watchdogs. That's just what they do. If someone is trespassing or acting funny, that's just what they do. Just watch them! Thanks a lot, girls! They would probably guide a robber through the house to steal things if asked!  ::)
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 08:18:31 pm »
What a good boy! My two are great watchdogs. That's just what they do. If someone is trespassing or acting funny, that's just what they do. Just watch them! Thanks a lot, girls! They would probably guide a robber through the house to steal things if asked!  ::)
Mine must be watch dogs then too!...They'd watch them & bark until the intruder was out of the house & then breath a big sigh of relief & talk some smack about how bad they were! :-\ :D

Kiahpyr

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 02:31:52 am »
Such a good boy Sammy!!! Hopefully when it's me knocking you'll be nice cause I'm bringing 2 girls just for you and Pippin to play with. ;D

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 02:34:25 am »
It will be Sheba's job to jump up knock them down and see if they have treats ;)
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 06:20:08 am »
It will be Sheba's job to jump up knock them down and see if they have treats ;)
LOL!...That's about it right now but changing fast...Pippin is mentoring Sheba & she follows him up & down the fenceline & is learning to be a gaurdian dog...It does my heart good to watch!...I just HAVE to get those goats!

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 08:12:23 am »
Oh that is just so neat!!

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 08:20:46 am »
Oh that is just so neat!!

You are going to be so good with your Pyr!...I can just tell!...I can't wait to hear the news that you are getting him/her! ;D

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Aw man thanks...
I can't wait.

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 09:27:06 am »
Pippin is mentoring Sheba & she follows him up & down the fenceline & is learning to be a gaurdian dog...It does my heart good to watch!...I just HAVE to get those goats!

That is awesome!!!!  You need to catch that on camera for us!  I LOVE to see the guardians at work!

That is such an adorable pic of Samson!  He's the house guard.  Pippin is the yard guard!  I imagine if someone didn't know him and walked through that door unannounced, they'd wet their pants!  Nothing like a huge furry teeth bearer to cause a miscreant to think again about entering.
Daphne

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 09:37:56 am »
Pippin is mentoring Sheba & she follows him up & down the fenceline & is learning to be a gaurdian dog...It does my heart good to watch!...I just HAVE to get those goats!

That is awesome!!!!  You need to catch that on camera for us!  I LOVE to see the guardians at work!

That is such an adorable pic of Samson!  He's the house guard.  Pippin is the yard guard!  I imagine if someone didn't know him and walked through that door unannounced, they'd wet their pants!  Nothing like a huge furry teeth bearer to cause a miscreant to think again about entering.
Watching Pippin with Sheba is puting me to overdrive on my research of mini & pygmy goats again...Pippin shows he has the pure heart of the gaurdian & I would like to honor that...Problem is...I don't want him out in the yard all the time...That is not why I bought him...I do feel selfish for feeling that way but I can't help it...Also, I do have neighbors on the north side of our fence...I definitly can't have him outt here barking all night...I am certain that would not work out...I am wondering if i can get him to play double duty...Gaurdia n & companion...I do know of at least one Pyr who will do this...Is it comman, Daphne?

doggylover

Gyps technically that isn't 'guarding'.  In the mental health industry it's called perseverating. 

Inside Samson's head:   "I must watch the door knob. I must.  I must.  WHAT?  WHAT was THAT?!! Did it move?  I think it moved.  I'm pretty sure it MOVED.  Must.  Watch. Door. Knob.  Must go take nap, then must watch door knob some more"

Gypsy Jazmine

Gyps technically that isn't 'guarding'.  In the mental health industry it's called perseverating. 

Inside Samson's head:   "I must watch the door knob. I must.  I must.  WHAT?  WHAT was THAT?!! Did it move?  I think it moved.  I'm pretty sure it MOVED.  Must.  Watch. Door. Knob.  Must go take nap, then must watch door knob some more"
LOL! :D

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 04:04:08 pm »
Pippin shows he has the pure heart of the gaurdian & I would like to honor that...Problem is...I don't want him out in the yard all the time...That is not why I bought him...I do feel selfish for feeling that way but I can't help it...Also, I do have neighbors on the north side of our fence...I definitly can't have him outt here barking all night...I am certain that would not work out...I am wondering if i can get him to play double duty...Gaurdia n & companion...I do know of at least one Pyr who will do this...Is it comman, Daphne?

Thor did it well, but not the way you want.  He was indoors during the day soaking up the loving but when the sun went down, you couldn't keep him in!  He was compelled to be out on patrol.  He knew when the predators were out.  I don't know how common it is or not.  My first Pyr wouldn't go out at all, he was too timid.  Carter is such a wild, silly man, he doesn't want to be in at all.  He thrives on being out there with plenty of room to run.  He had to be sedated in foster care to be inside at night.  The female we fostered wanted to be inside at night barking ::)  I really think it depends a lot on the individual dog, how they started out and what is in their makeup.  I'm not really sure you can figure it out beforehand.  You just try them out and see what happens.  You're already seeing the instinct in Pippin.  The force is strong in that one (in my best Yoda voice) ;)  The question is whether or not you want to encourage it or just let things continue as they are.  The barking really isn't bad, at least not out here in the country with not much going on at night.  Carter will bark occasionally, but mostly it is just the "I'm here at work" every once in a while.  Katie almost never barks at night (which is good because her bark is much higher pitched than Carter's).  It has to be pretty exciting to get Katie going.  It may be different if you have more going on but I suspect that if left to work through it, they won't bark that much at night.  You could always consider moving to a spot with no close neighbors!  LOL!  The things we do for dogs.  ;D
Daphne