Author Topic: what a night!?!!!!  (Read 3541 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
what a night!?!!!!
« on: August 03, 2006, 01:22:56 am »
omg! i need to rant/vent! last night was h*ll!!! i don't know if anyone else suffering from the heat wave had this problem??
buttt... well it's been REALLY bad heat/air here on cape cod, like i can barely walk 100 yards without having trouble breathing, and i'ma  healhty 23 year old! so... i haven't taken fumble for any extensive walks (our usual 1-1.5 mile walk) every day... and last night was h*ll!  i think a combo between not being exercised, the heat, and horrible air quality got to him! he slept a grand total of 1 hour! 1 hour!!!  :o needless to say, i'm sitting in my office irght now drinking an energy drink, that will be followed up by an XL coffeE!  i feel so bad for him! he slept a little at the beginning and then i heard him panting/tossing and turning.. then at 2:30 am he started crying, followed by yelping/barking.. i got up and decided to let him out, maybe he had to pee, then i got him some ice cubes and put him back in his crate..
----crate interuption here- he still sleeps in his crate, won't not sleep in it! i've even tried leaving the door open, and that doesn't work because he sits there and pants away looking at the dooor as if to say "what? what's going on"? i think he likes to put all his weight through his front paws on the door and stretch (so that's my crate rant) any suggestions to maybe get him used to sleeping with the door open are openly welcome)-----

and then again, at like 5:15 he started crying again.. so i let him out and then left him in teh hosue and put up our gate in front of mine and stacy's doors... well barked up a storm there. i even tried to ignore it, but with renters in 50 yard distance, i didn't think it would be so smart to have him barking till all hours of the morning..

sorry! just needed to rant!  today the heat is supposed to break at like 8 pm, which probably will still make for anohter long night, because i dont' want to walk him in the heat today and then the thunderstorms that they're planning on all day after 6! hopefully tomorrow will be betTER! ~ maybe as a suprise i'll wake up extra early tomorrow morning and take him for a walk before the sun rises!  who knowS!!  sorry again!  my tab energy drink is making me want to vent! lol!!  :o ::) ::)
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

mjjensen

Re: what a night!?!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 02:50:33 am »
  Poor Fumble! I hope he's feeling better today. Thankfully the weather in New England is supposed to get better over the next few days. I went through the same thing with Max last night. The heat bothers all my guys but Max seems to get hit the worse, probably because of his heart problem. I have an air conditioner in the room where the dogs' beds are but when the thunder storms went through last night we lost our power for over 5 hours so the whole house was in the high 90's.  On top of that, Max is scared to death of thunder so he had a very unhappy night. I'll be so glad when fall gets here!

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 03:17:15 am »
  Poor Fumble! I hope he's feeling better today. Thankfully the weather in New England is supposed to get better over the next few days. I went through the same thing with Max last night. The heat bothers all my guys but Max seems to get hit the worse, probably because of his heart problem. I have an air conditioner in the room where the dogs' beds are but when the thunder storms went through last night we lost our power for over 5 hours so the whole house was in the high 90's.  On top of that, Max is scared to death of thunder so he had a very unhappy night. I'll be so glad when fall gets here!

awww... poor max!!! fumble doesn't seem to mind the thunder, but the heat is so repressive! it's awful!! hopefully the storms aren't too bad tonight for maX :(
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"

Offline Aner

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 04:47:16 am »
I'm dying from the heat too...But Mika loves it.  She's very weird like that.  I'm sorry about Fumble.  I'm waiting for 8 pm!!  Whoohoo!!

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 11:03:40 am »
update.. well i don't know about the rest of the new englanders! but i think today was hotter than yesterday!!  soo... when i got home from work, i decided to sit in the outdoor shower and have fumble come in with me! it was like a party that we took part in every hour!  just opened the door, walked in and sat under the shower! fumble is absolutely drencheD!  and very happy! :) hopefully tonight goes better! b/c i am VERY tireD!

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 03:18:55 pm »
Here's hoping you guys get your break in the weather- I am in NE Texas and there is no end in sight and we are in a drough, last real rain we had was in March- We are really looking forward to November, hopefully it will cool off then...Good luck on getting some sleep tonight.

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 06:58:40 am »
update.. well i don't know about the rest of the new englanders! but i think today was hotter than yesterday!!  soo... when i got home from work, i decided to sit in the outdoor shower and have fumble come in with me! it was like a party that we took part in every hour!  just opened the door, walked in and sat under the shower! fumble is absolutely drencheD!  and very happy! :) hopefully tonight goes better! b/c i am VERY tireD!

I felt the heat a lot worse Wed than Tues.  Yesterday wasn't as bad - it was the day of change.  Today is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Here's to hoping the cooler weather has reached you too.  I can't imagine how poor Fumble survived with the long hair!  My dogs have spent the time lying in front of the air conditioners.  All of them are stir crazy for lack of excercise.  Unfortunately, I had no choice but to run around all over creation the last few days.  Argh!  Every time you get in the car you have to get it to cool down again.  I think I've had more cool showers this past month than ever before in my life.  I don't normally swim but I did the other day!  If the cool weather hasnt' gotten there yet, it will very soon!
Daphne

doggylover

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 08:24:09 am »
It sounds like you don't have a/c.  If that is the case, let me share what has worked for us when this happened here in the Northwest recently. 
We put a fan in front of Badger's bed, and one in front of Gossy's crate, running full blast.  Even though it was still hot in the house, it makes them feel a little cool to have even warm air blowing on them, than when the air is stagnant. 
As far as the closed crate door goes, is it a big deal to you that he be out at night?  I personally think it's great that you did such a good job training him that he loves being in there safe and snuggly so much. 
Good luck.  Sleep deprivation is the WORST!
 ;)