Blog Discussion Forum > Blog Feedback & Discussion Board

Working dogs not good family dogs

(1/4) > >>

Aussies:
 >:(Dear Big Paws:  I'm distressed with the description of Australian Shepherds you've put on your website.  Aussies ARE NOT usually good with children, nor are most herding-working dogs.  They may be okay with the children within a family, but you introduce strange children in the mix and you've got trouble.  Ask anyone in Australian Shepherd rescue.   Because these dogs are intelligent and do have to work, they are extremely sensitive to what is happening around them and will act on it -- if it happens to be a bunch of running, screaming children, they will do something about it and it won't be pretty.  Please for god's sake don't encourage people who have families and who can't spend the time and energy it takes to care for these dogs to get them.  They are not good family dogs. Labs, Golden Retrievers -- they're good family dogs.

Rebecca

Gypsy Jazmine:
Though I can't comment on Aussie's as I know next to nothing about the breed I can comment on the title of this thread, "Working dogs not good family dogs"...I have 3 Great Pyrenees, the breed traditionally being Livestock Gaurdian Dogs...Our dogs are fabulous family dogs who interact wonderfully with our children, ages almost 8 & recently turned 9...We are knowlegeable about the Pyr breed & do allow them to be Pyrs...We do not have livestock but are looking into getting a couple Pygmy or mini breed goats for them to gaurd...We also try to give them a sense of working by packing with them & letting them gaurd the small animals in our house...Pippin, at least, is very serious about his job...2 of my Pyrs come from long standing working lines...Pippin was out with his gaurdian family until the age of 5 months when we got him & Samson had interaction with his mother working with her sheep but was not actually allowed out with the sheep as we got him as a younger pup than Pippin was...Sheba is a rescue & new to our house so I am just assesing her & can't comment much on her gaurdian abilities yet but she does love to gaurd at our fence with the boys...All 3 dogs seem happy & content with their station & also are such good family dogs that I know I will never be without a Pyr in my life.
Again, in comment to the title of this thread there are many working catagorized dogs that do make good family dogs even the breeds you suggested at the end of your post "work" to some degree & are populary used for hunting...But, if you look further back (to at least the Labs) they were used around water to work further back in their history as a breed
I do believe that some dogs (working or not) do not do as well with children as other breeds however making a family pet is more in the understanding & work you put into your dog no matter the breed...Childr en need to be taught how to respect dogs & learn proper interaction with them & the dogs needs to be taught acceptable behaivor....Al so supervision with young children is just comman sense & should be done no matter the breed.
Perhaps these Aussies coming into rescue were not properly trained, supervised with children, or understood by their owners?
I do also agree that all facts must be presented in a forum so readers trying to gain knowlege of any particular breed are presented with all the facts...The good, bad & the ugly.
I do appreciate your post & can certainly understand your concern!...I cringe when I hear about someone who gets a cute, fluffy little Pyr pup & knows nothing about them...That can be a tragedy waiting to happen!

Saint and Mal mom:
I have to disagree with you...strongly . I did own an Australian Shepherd mix. (not sure what else he was) And I know many other people who have what would be characterized as "working dogs" including my 2 now. Alaskan Malamute were used for freighting! Not indoor, devoted family pets. But look at my girl lounging on the kitchen floor and please don't tell me that because she's a "working dog" she's not a good family pet. And my Aussie was a terrific family pet as well. HOwever, I will agree that a new level of responsibility is taken on when you get a "working dog" breed. They need to be kept busy, whether that is playing fetch with the family, taking walks with the kids, playing chase in the yard, whatever. And honestly, the only dogs that weren't exactly bred with a specific working task in mind are the toy dogs, which we aren't even talking about. Labs were bred to work too! So were Goldens! They're hunting dogs! Some would argue that many hunting dogs shouldn't be pets. But they are. And they can make wonderful pets. I agree that you should not underestimate that certain "working breeds" need activity, tasks, and exercise. But that will NEVER interpret into "not a family pet." Aussies can be the most devoted, loyal, loving family pets ever, if you are willing to give them a chance. Are you?

cricket36580:
I think this is "generally" true with any of the herding breeds...  But I think it's more in educating people about the breed and breed type than anything.  I personally wouldn't have one, because I prefer really big dogs but, I've known so many that are in fact good family dogs. 

If you hang around (I just saw that you had just joined) you'll realize we are all about educating people and getting people to do the proper research before getting any dog.  We do appreciate your post, btw.

wolfsoul:
I have Belgians --- Belgians, though with a different herding style than Aussies, are ALOT more high-drive and typically are quite a dangerous breed. However they make wonderful family dogs. While it may be true of one breed, it isn't always true of another. My dogs are very drivey working dogs, we do several sports and herding, yet they are wonderful with kids.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version