Author Topic: i need a pat on the back  (Read 7902 times)

Offline 4everblu

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Lord help me be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
    • The Spotted Dog
Re: i need a pat on the back
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2005, 08:37:20 am »
 ;D "I leave the nail clippers on the coffee table, kinda as a decoration" LOL!!  ;D
Hannah didn't like getting her nails done either, in fact she perfers not to have her paws touched.
~but since we followed nail trimming with treats several times now she does not mind, she knows the treat is comming, at the finnish.
Please Visit "The Spotted Dog" for  Personalized Doggie signatures and graphics.  http://forums.delphiforums.com/ourdogs/start

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2005, 09:29:06 am »
I trimmed Lady's and Grace's nails just last night.  Granted I had to straddle them and hold them down...but it got done.  I hate it...but once in a while I give in and do it.

GR8DAME

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2005, 10:06:47 am »
Raven and Merlin are as easy as pie, they just stare off into space and let their poor toes get abused until you are done. Strider, on the other hand requires hubby Dale and 17 yo son Nick to hold him down while he (Strider) shreiks at the top of his lungs like he is being systematically dismembered and I cut his nails. This has been going on on a regular basis since he was 6 weeks old, and I have played with his feet since that age, never cut his quick, tried a dremmel, new clippers, and even an ambush when he was asleep. And he very quickly woke up fighting. I have no explination aside from the fact that he just doesn't like the process. The easiest time ever was when the vet had him to be nuetered and they did it while he was unconcious.... and that option (knocking him unconcious) starts to sound better and better as the screaming increases!
Stella

Nicole

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2005, 11:27:05 am »
OOOOH..girls!!! HAHAHAHA! I'm laughing my @ss off here. Oops...I mean my buttocks! These stories are the BEST!

For some reason, Cabeza's nails just don't really grow. I mean, they just don't get that long. I don't know if its because I take him for walks in town (on the cement sidewalks) or what...but, they just seem to stay the same length. I mean, I obviously have cut them before. He hates it too, but nothing like Strider...dism embering...hah ahahaha!!!

Nicki, my neighbor SWEARS by the dremmel. I think you've gotten good advice. But, here's a big ol PAT for ya, sister!  :-*

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2005, 11:37:51 am »
I read "The atr of raising a puppy" before I got a dog and I learned sooo much from it. I started when I first got each of my babies touching their feet, spreading their toes, opening their mouths, putting my hand in and touching thier teeth, touching their ears, combing their hair, touching around their eyes...stuff like that. I did it every day from the first day and now none of them care. One of my girls hates having her feet touched, but she lets me do it, and none of them care for having me open their mouth but they put up with it.
It might be best to start off slow. While loving them, pat their feet, hold it in your hand and rub it. Do this while being very sweet and talking nice. If you do this every day, a few times a day after a while they will not give you a hard time about it. Smile and look happy "Hey handsome boy!" scratching in their favorite spot and touch their feet at the same time. You gotta seduce 'em into it!!!

Vicki

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2005, 12:09:11 pm »
I love the dremmel!  Its 10 times easier then clipping once they'll let you do them.  I think I have a post a little while back about it with a link of the best way to use a dremmel.  If anyone wants that link again let me know and i'll see if i can find it.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog