Author Topic: i need a pat on the back  (Read 7842 times)

nickerbokker

i need a pat on the back
« on: June 13, 2005, 12:58:17 pm »
jaime made me feel ike a TERRIBLE mom this weekend. 

i buy my dogs toys and food and play with them all the time and stay home on weekends so i can play with them (and you).....and i love them and sing to them and draw pictures of them and everything else i can do.

but they act like loons....

she so was sitting in MY living room and kindly pointed out my fear of clipping their nails.  LOL....they are long and gross....but im so scared to hurt them...but then there was the bear cow and his nails were so cute and pretty and i got jealous.....so last night i did ALL cody's nails...and i did one paw of angus's!!!!  angus hates me, and was not talking nice at alll.....BUT.. .i got one paw done!  and i feel so much better!

thats my story!

luv ya jaba

lins_saving_grace

Re: i need a pat on the back
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 01:00:35 pm »
That's one job I hate too. 

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 01:53:26 pm »
I hate cutting Zoey's nails too - she freaks out and I'm afraid I'll cut too much when she wiggles around. It's not that bad though since I discovered that when I put down a frosty paws ice cream she'll stay still licking it even with me doing her nails.
RIP former BPO

nickerbokker

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 01:57:55 pm »
well i just tried to do another paw....

and not only did angus scream and squirm the whole time....but when he had decided he was done, he tried to bite me.

so im sorry BPO, but imma say it...i smacked the crap out of him.  and now hes in his bed.

scared the living crap out of me!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 02:24:56 pm »
I had the vet do Rosie's nail 90% of the time because I was scared I would cut into the quick. One time the dew claw almost grew into the pad.  Boy did I feel like a bad mom.  I hated I let someone else play the bad guy for something she did not like.  After all if you are scared as Rosie was, do you want someone you see 3 times a year doing it or do you want someone that loves you.  So when I got Sugar Bear I started plaing with his feet all the time.  I have done the same thing with Dixie.  So now I give them a bone to to chew on while I cut.  Sometimes I will just do one paw are if it is going good I do them all. Just give it time and you will be great at it.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 03:02:03 pm »
You know how much I love you and I didn't mean to make you feel bad at all. They were just sticking out like daggers so I had to comment. And, I noticed his one black nail which I wondered if it was a normal Saint thing or not. I am sorry if you feel bad... but I got yelled at in public once for Bear's nails so I can relate. Apparently his paws will splay (?)/spread apart if the nails aren't kept short. So.....I am glad that Angus has nicer feet now and that he survived the punishment. Maybe next time you should wait til you have another person there to do his nails...like me with the dremel.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

nickerbokker

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 03:05:51 pm »
you didnt make me feel bad.  i was kidding.  but i did see bear and get ragin jealous and decide to just do it!

so thanks LOL

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 10:16:22 pm »
You need a pat on the back for clipping mere nails?...I'M GOING TO DRAIN ANAL GLANDS IN CATS AT THAT!!!!!!!!!!!....lol...lol!...Nope, I haven't gotten to it yet but come Wed. when my hubby starts his vacation IT'S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!!!....I'm just kiddin' ya'!...Great job!...I have no room to say anything because I haven't ever done Samson's nails...I leave that to Petco...Althou gh now that my hubby has set me up a full dog wash in the basement I'll have to start clipping nails too. :-\

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 07:32:49 am »
Spotakiss is the same way.He used to let me cut them.Then I tried one time and he yelped ,like I hurt him.So I havent done it since.I never let them bleed though

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 10:37:52 am »
Hey....I just don't wanna be shredded by claws when I visit you girls.  ;D I would advise using the dremel instead the nail cutter thing though because I think it works better and there is much less of a chance you will cut the nail and make it bleed. We have accidently made Bear bleed with the cutter and he cried so now we just stick t the dremel. It is fast and easy and doesn't even phase him while we are doing it!!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2005, 12:33:32 pm »
Don't worry Jaba.  Now that I know there is a surprise visit coming any day now I will get right on it!  Sheesh, now I have to keep the house clean because the minute it gets dirty you two yahoos will show up on my door step!  I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2005, 01:01:41 pm »
pat, pat, pat on the back, back, back....

I second the motion on the dremel tool for nails.

Hey, nic! It is possible that Angus stands/walks funny because of the long nails. I think that was another factor contributing to Oreo's goofy walk as well.

Jason

nickerbokker

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005, 01:07:11 pm »
im alomst certain of it jason.....

thats why i finally just started doing it (and because of jabas push)....cuz it was TOTALLY screwing with it.

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005, 01:30:00 pm »
Well, I just broke out the flippin Dremel and Leo was a total jerk about the whole thing!  I coaxed him with treats and as soon as he laid down and got his treat he bolted!  I tried sitting on him but he bucked me off...  I know it takes a while for them to get used to it, but I am not a patient woman!  Especially when Jaba is going to come to my house and laugh at my dog!  Maybe if I have Leo stand next to Angus no one will notice ;D...

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2005, 06:23:26 am »
I just cut a nail or two a night.  I cut while they are laying on the floor sleeping, chewing, acting stupid.  My guys are used to me randomly grabbing them and pulling on them, and plain messing with them.  By the time they realize I am cutting their nails and they should object, I have already cut a couple nails.  I leave the nail clippers on the coffee table, kinda as a decoration, that way I can always just grab and cut. 
It is also important to have sharp clippers, so you don't hurt their little feet.  Practice makes perfect, just keep trying.  Nicker, I don't blame you smacking him when he tried to bite you.  When one of my guys mouths at me (which is rare) to get me to stop bothering them I pin them to the ground with my body making sure to hold their head down and away from mine.  After a minute I start talking nice and say be good and slowing get off.  Be careful though since I don't know your dog, I can't tell you how he would react. 
Like I said up top, I have been torturing my dogs since they were small. ???
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs