Author Topic: Puppy  (Read 3780 times)

teddybearlover7777

Puppy
« on: August 08, 2006, 07:05:50 am »
I've had my puppy for about 4 months and he's very sweet. He dosen't seem to like to play though. All he likes to do is play tug of war and chasing games. I'm not sure if he's very serious or what. Are most Pyrenees like this? He's very reserved and independent. And sometimes when I want to cuddle with him or pet him he tries to run away.

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Puppy
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 07:40:36 am »
I've had my puppy for about 4 months and he's very sweet. He dosen't seem to like to play though. All he likes to do is play tug of war and chasing games. I'm not sure if he's very serious or what. Are most Pyrenees like this? He's very reserved and independent. And sometimes when I want to cuddle with him or pet him he tries to run away.
Yes

Kiahpyr

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 07:42:33 am »
Welcome to the pyr world! :D

Offline bhender254

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 07:58:44 am »
Yup!!

teddybearlover7777

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 09:45:24 am »
That is such a relief. I'll always love my boy but I was afraid because all of my dogs have been pomeranians. They have huge VERY different personalities. So what should I expect from him once he's passed puppyhood.

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 12:07:43 pm »
Currently I only have female Pyrs, however before the girls I had a male who went thru the aloof, independent, didnt need mom stage. It was heart breaking since he was my baby. By the time he was a year old he was once again my baby, but on his terms. He was very serious about patrolling the property and defending against the coyotes that we have out here. He had extremely selective hearing- but then again the girls are also suffering from this type of hearing loss. My girls have gone thru short stages of independence where they are aloof, but it never lasts too long. The youngest are 6 and 7 mos old and the oldest is a rescue that I got in April and she is 7 years old and never suffers from the aloof syndrome. Personally I think that she is just thankful someone rescued her and loves her unconditionall y.
Pyrenees are incredibly wonderful dogs, welcome to the Pyrenees world.
Paige

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 12:25:30 pm »
So what should I expect from him once he's passed puppyhood.

More of the same!!  LOL!  They are affectionate on their own terms, unless you end up with a goofball like Carter.  He's almost always affectionate unless there is something he thinks he needs to defend against or if I'm trying to brush him.  He's the most affectionate of the Pyrs I've had.  My last Pyr loved me to pieces but he'd been badly abused before he came to us and I was very much his person.  He was no where near as affectionate with other people as he was with me.  That said, when he was on patrol (night), that was his world and I could be with him, but only on his terms. 
Daphne

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 04:26:10 pm »
I wouldn't take it personally,it does sound like a Pyr
although My bouvier was very much like that when he was a pup,loves and cuddles he wanted nothing to do with.
But I also found when I gave him his space it was perfectly logical to him
He always positioned himself so that he could watch me,and I do watch me and everything I did.being in my lap he could barely see me but from across the room he could watch every move I made and was much happier about that.

He turned out to be a serious puppy,but that being said he is now a great Therapy Dog and also a medical alert dog on numverous medical conditions.

He is adorable and they all will be who they are no matter what we may think we can do about it.

teddybearlover7777

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 06:48:50 am »
Bear does that too. He always sits directly across the room to watch me.