Author Topic: Paralyzed Saint - EMERGENCY!!!!!  (Read 17343 times)

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Paralyzed Saint - EMERGENCY!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2006, 11:53:04 pm »
YAY,YAY,YAY,YAY,YAY,YAY!!!!!!! I just came across this thread, so sorry to hear you had to go through that!  It's so hard not knowing what's going on.  It's sounds like she's making strides though.  And how is your knee, are you doing your PT???  What a fabulous husband you have also!!  Thoughts and prayers going your way.     H
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2006, 11:58:12 pm »
I am glad to her there has been some improvment for Cassie!...Do you want ideas for a sling so she can go out & potty or so she can stand on her legs for PT?...I am wondering if you could get a sling like they use on horses & put a hook in the ceiling to hold her up if it is PT you are wanting it for...Good luck & please keep us posted!

Modified to add this link...The large sling only goes up to 125 lbs. for weight but maybe you could get an idea for how to make one.
http://www.doolittlespetproducts.com/liftnaidslings.html
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 12:05:58 am by Gypsy Jazmine »

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2006, 05:09:44 am »

I have seen serious disc compression and lumbar compression in many large dogs and the one critical component to recovery in my view is getting her into physical therapy.  Humans are immediately referred to physical therapy with such an injury and it kills me that vets are not doing the same.

I do not know where you are located - but this site will hopefully help you find one close to you who can work with her to manage the inflammation in her discs and her mobility and flexion (key to walking again).  It is also important to wean her off prednisone as quickly as possible and PT often enables this.

http://www.utc.edu/Faculty/David-Levine/

David Levine is the pioneer in canine rehabilition and the best resource for qualified physiscal therapists.

Good luck!
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar