Author Topic: Saint's as a family member  (Read 11997 times)

Offline Yayamc20

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Saint's as a family member
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 04:49:54 am »
What is your dogs name? He/She is the cutest. This is Iggy. He is the best thing that has ever happened to me!!!!!! I have many Saint questions. Is this your first Saint? They are the best!!!!!

Offline Yayamc20

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2006, 04:50:59 am »
This is my boy! Iggy!!!!!!!! He is growing fast! You can notice that his head is growing faster than his body. He is in puberty right now  ;)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 04:52:31 am by Yayamc20 »

Offline LJ06

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2006, 06:51:13 am »
Hi,
Her name is Gracie and she is 2 years old. It is my first Saint and I would get another though.  A male next time b/c I love the big "block head" look- LOL. Is Iggy a pup? Looks like he's going to get huge... So cute though. Is he as big of a baby as Grace? She has a older brother named Willy or Will. I call them will and grace. Here is a picture of both of them... Does Iggy bark alot? Grace does and I thought she would grow out of it but she loves attention and when she doesnt get it-woof woof! the slober is manageable she is so great with kids (may knock them over once or twice unintentionall y but never mean) Is Iggy your first saint? have any other pets?

Offline Yayamc20

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2006, 08:46:50 am »
Grace is gorgous!!!!! OK here is the whole story..... Iggy is our 2nd Saint but the first one we only had for 2 months. We had a girl - Roxy. We got her in February when she was just seven weeks old. We had her for 2 months and we were in the front yard and the neighbor had a friend over and her lead got caught under the tire and when the woman back out, she ran over Roxy!!!We rushed her to the emergency vet hospital where she died. They did everything they could to save her. It was the most horrible thing that has ever happened to us! So anyway.....aft er about a month I had to get another one! We had her for such a short time but she became a huge part of our life! There were no breeders around us (Rochester, NY) that were having pups until the fall and there is no way we were gonna train a huge dog in the middle of winter. I finally found a breeder in West Virginia that had smooth coats so we took a ride out there and that where we got Iggy!!!!!!! I must tell you he is the most well behaved dog I have ever seen. He is only 5 months old but he is so good. He's not a chewer and never barks unless he wants our attention VERY badly!He was the runt of the litter but I still think he is gonna be big. He went to the vet on Saturday and he was 62lbs. I love him! He's my baby boy.

Offline saintbarney

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Dog Care Central
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2006, 07:27:02 pm »
Awww that is sad about your Roxy. :( Iggy is so cute and I bet he has brought a lot of joy to your life since losing Roxy.
~Danielle~
www.dog-care-central.com
Wheels for Weebles

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Offline nitewarrior

• Gnawer
  • Abby Road
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2006, 03:23:39 am »
Your dog is great.

Offline LJ06

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2006, 03:27:24 am »
I am so sorry about Roxy- that just broke my heart... Iggy is your life saver and I'm sure he will give you lots and lots of love. He is so darn cute and looks like he is well behaved from the pics. Did you get a keg/barrel for him yet? I got Grace one from Ebay and it is in good condition. It dispenses liquid so it is neat and everyone loves to see her with it on. Well, take care and keep me up to date w/ Iggy's progress and growth :)

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2006, 05:22:48 am »
I just wanted to thank everyone for their feedback!  I am so glad to hear that my initial thoughts about their needs were in line with what I could provide.  I have lucked out and found a breeder less than 10 minutes from my house!  She has a litter now (4 weeks) and a litter on the way which I will probably wait for. My boys and I are going to visit on Sunday to meet the parents and play with the dogs. I can't wait. :) 

Thanks again!
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2006, 05:24:23 am »
Oh, how exciting! You must promise to post pictures when you pick out your new little boy or girl, ok?! Are they short-hairs or long?
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2006, 06:33:30 am »
Bluskygirl, how exciting!! I just wanted to say that you should definatley make sure that the parents have all of the health clearances and OFA testings etc. An unhealthy Saint is an expensive Saint, we rescued Hutch when he was 10 months old and payed nearly $1000 in the first couple months to get him on the road to health again. Dysplasia is a serious concern with our big babies too, and in the end can cause a ton of heartbreak, just ask some members here. With that being said, I can't wait to see pictures!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline DAMAGE

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Raemi, Breccan and the late, great, Drago & Chloe
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2006, 06:53:56 am »
As a former lurker and brand new poster could I jump in here with some advice? Please go to this site http://www.saintbernardclub.org/ and read EVERYTHING. As a looong time owner of Saints (early '70's)I can tell you they can be heartbreakers. Giant breeds have shorter lifespans, fact, but those lives can be even shorter due to genetic factors. Hip and elbow dysplasia, epilepsy, osteosarcoma, these are some of those life shorteners that can be gene related. No matter how adorable that litter of puppies is, make sure that the breeder behind it did their homework. Did they have the parents OFA'd? Do they know what health issues are in their lines for the last 3 or more generations? If not, wait. The right puppy is out there for you. All puppies are a "crap shoot" but do try hard to load the dice in your favor It hurts so very much to lose one at only 5 years old or younger because someone didn't care enough to breed with integrity. And finally temperment, temperment, temperment. Accept no excuses on why you can't meet the parents or talk to the owners of other puppies they have produced. Do it right and you will never regret being owned by a Saint. They make our lives complete. I'll get off my soapbox now, go find that perfect friend.
Dana
w/Raemi & Breccan
Oh, and obedience training starting before they outweigh you is a must! :)
Dana
& The George Saints
"Raemi"
"Breccan"

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2006, 07:12:56 am »
You might want to check out petfinder too, there are several purebred saint puppies that need a good home. That's how we got molly was from a Saint Bernard Rescue.

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2006, 08:41:51 am »
I have done tons of research, actually becuase I am also afraid of the possible health issues that can come with a purebred... I have always rescued mutts and found out with this last one that the temperament crapshoot with mutts is a bad one to take with little kids. Anyway, I spoke with one breedre who stopped communication with me I think becuase I insisted on driving to pick up the puppy instead of shipping it.  I then starting talkign to a breeder here in Colorado in the hopes of visiting just to expose my boys to Saints, and he emailed me with information of a woman who is a member of the Saints club and is into showing more than breeding. She only breeds once every 3 or 4 years, and was actually very pleased when I said I wanted to bring my family down for a visit.  She seems very reputable. She said the father is in the top 20, sister's are #9 and 10.  I didn't exaclty know what that meant, but I assume they are ranked high for showing and hopefully that will mean that her Saints are sound. I was going to ask if the parents had been checked for displasia, ask about any eye problems the dogs have had, and epilepsy becuase I here big dogs are prone to it. I'm am soooooo looking forward to Sunday's visit. I am grateful for your input! And I'm in love with all your pics!
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat