Author Topic: how do I get him to play outside?  (Read 3372 times)

Offline daisy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
how do I get him to play outside?
« on: August 10, 2006, 03:27:55 am »
Or is this another Pyr thing I should just accept? LOL
Toby (who is a Pyr/Lab mix about 8 months old) will not run around and play in our yard. When we go out to potty, he goes from one gate to the other thinking about escaping (he can currently get out of both of them). If I throw a ball he sometimes runs after it, but usually just looks at me like I'm crazy. He does dig some, which is fine with me, but usually doesn't get much activity in. Then we go inside and he picks up a toy and runs around like a crazed dog. If I take him back outside half the time he will just wander around and then lay on the patio.
I know it is hot and this may be contributing some, but he has most always done this.
Also he will run and play until exhausted when I let him go next door and play with their dog. We are thinking about geting another dog, the neighbors are moving soon. I don't know if that would help or not.
Also because he escapes I can't leave him alone. I don't mind this a bit. I just wish I knew a way to get him to use up that energy while we are out there.

Kiahpyr

Re: how do I get him to play outside?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 06:35:47 am »
Yes it's a pyr thing!! LOL!! Pyrs are known for not fetching too. Kiah is a lazy pyr and it has helped her get exercise when we got our second dog Kitana. When pyrs are outside it's all business like they need to protect their home and have no time to play. The house is different and plus the temp is always right to play! It sounds like Toby has more pyr then lab in him.

Offline daisy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 06:45:21 am »
yes, from everything we have seen he definitely is more pyr like than lab!
I'm so glad I found this board so I can be reassured that these behaviors are just right for a pyr!

Offline daisy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 07:04:08 am »
yes, we do take him for walks daily. I should have mentioned that before. But he still seems to want to have the run of the whole neighborhood (without a leash-ha!)
And we do have toys outside for him too. We try to rotate them so there are new things there. But really he has virtually no interest in any play outside unless there is another dog around.
There was one toy he liked for a few days and then ignored for amonth or more. We brought the toy in the house and now it is his favorite! But if we take it back out with us he doesn't touch it.

teddybearlover7777

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 09:11:31 am »
My dog Bear used to do that but not anymore. I'm not one to give advise but with Bear he started playing outside when he had other dogs to play with.

I would put him with his toys behind the fence and he sometimes would dig but he never touches the toys. The only way I can play with him outside is if I kind of bat him on the face or stomach and sprint away. Maybe daisy would like that. But it does get tiring! :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 09:12:17 am by teddybearlover7777 »