Author Topic: What to do....  (Read 12569 times)

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
Re: What to do....
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2005, 01:56:47 pm »
I say all the time, if someone breaks in here Finn will make them a sandwich and show them where we hide the good silver!!!
The funny thing is 1. We don't have nay good silver! and 2. I know he, along with our other two would AT LEAST bark up a storm and maybe more.  Finn is sweet and gentle, but they all bark when someone comes to the door or walks through our yard. But I have seen it happen once... I was watching TV and someone came to the door. They knocked once and then walked right in. Finn lost his head!!! He ran to the door barking, but meaner than usual and wouldn't let the person any further than the door. When she tried to pat him he snapped at her.  I always praise them for barking when someone is around the house... and that day Finn got extra love!! I knew the person coming in, obviously and they were scared to death and very confused by my praising him. I told them, hey, I know you, but next time it might be someone I don't know. He's doing his job.  I encourage them to bark untill I have opened the door, seen who it is and given them the command to sit.  Even then I don't expect them to "be nice" unless I give a formal introduction and tell them "this is my friend". That way if the telephone guy comes to the door today, they can't bite him. But if he breaks in tonight they can, because he isn't a friend.
But I guess you never know if it works unless someone breaks in. Perhaps I could get someone to climb in a window sometime to see what they do....

Vicki

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2005, 02:57:26 pm »
When I first got Sophie my best friend came over and just walked into my house (which I'm not too fond of anyways..but hey...) Sophie ran right up to her wagging her tail so hard...   Some guard dog  hehe  but I guess everything was still so new to her she didn't know what to do.  We did have some older kids running through our backyard the other day and Sophie started barking and my husband said 'sshh  stop barking'  I said no don't tell her that, thats her job and I want her to bark when someone she doesn't know is in our yard.  I guess he didn't think about it that way since they were kids.  It wasen't like a mad aggressive bark either it was more like  "hey, hi, watcha doin?  I'm over here..no not around the corner i'm inside.. don't you want to pet me?"  lol    She is soo funny
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2005, 05:40:06 am »
My guys only bark if they can't see the person.  Once the person is in the light or in full view Rocco is ready to greet them.  If it is a male, he jumps on them (thanks to my Dad encouraging that when he was little), if it is a female he has to bump and rub against them.  Maia just backs up barking until I talk to the person or touch her.

From the outside, it would sound scary hearing my dogs bark since they both have big, deep barks but once you see the bigger one acting like a moron it's not so scary.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs